Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

New V Lite owner with problems

We purchased a 2013 V Lite travel trailer and took delivery from our dealer in April 2013. We purchased the trailer after years of camping in a pop-up; big upgrade! We had a 2 week trip planned from WI to New York State; Niagara Falls and then the Adirondacks. A couple of weeks before our big trip, we made plans to have a dry-run with our camper and take it to a State Park located 20 minutes from our home. Unfortunately, while packing up for our small 2 night adventure, we learned that our fridge did not work; a new panel needed to be installed. We hauled it back to the dealer and missed out on our 2 night camp. Then 2 weeks ago came the big trip. Before we packed up my husband made a comment about how there was only an inch or 2 of clearance between the wheels and the bottom of the camper. I told him not to worry about it. After we loaded up and made it to Niagara, my husband noticed that the tires had indeed rubbed through the bottom of the camper. On top of it, the enclosed underbelly was starting to bow and come off. The worse came on our way home. In the last 180 miles of our trip, our outside latch door that contained our outdoor refrigerator came off along with our refrigerator door and all of its contents. It bent both sets of steps on our main and bathroom doors, punctured a hole in the camper and pieces were lodged up under the camper. We did not know that this happened because we were traveling at night and passed a lot of semis. We suspect it happened when we passed a triple trailer Fed Ex truck. The door latch was locked and it looks like it was sucked out from the top down. The screws for the hinges were only drilled in to the aluminum trim around the door and not the camper frame itself. My question is has anyone else had these types for manufacturing problems? I did my homework for 3 years before making this purchase and thought I was buying a quality product. I now feel duped!
skitibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #2

Sometimes these things happen worse with one camper more than the others. It really sucks but it happens. Your still under warranty take it back and have your dealership make it right.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
TeresaInCAL

Man, that really stinks. Definitely take it back to the dealership and have them fix everything.
So, was the trailer overloaded? Why were the wheels so close to the body?
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

We have a new 2013 V-Lite too. We have not endured any of the problems you mentioned. I feel sorry for your letdown. Don't give up on the V-Lite. Yours may be a lemon.
Ours is the 30wfkss. How about yours?
Our only complaint thus far are the crappy day/night shades. One broke after three ups and downs. Not covered by warranty after only 3 months. Replaced it earlier this week and have already found a 2nd one about to go. Nice concept, but pure junk!
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the issues with your 2013 V lite. I agree with the above posts, take it back to your dealer and have them make it right.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

We have taken it back to the dealer however it's going to be at least a month before it's fixed. We have another 2 week camping trip planned starting July 11th. If the trailer was older, I could understand but it's brand new.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #7

Teresa, the trailer was not overloaded. My husband even commented before we put anything in the trailer that he could barely fit his hand between the tire and the bottom of the trailer. The dealer told us that they have had to replace 3 axles on these trailers because of this very issue.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #8

Larry, we have the 30WTBSK. I looked a long time for a travel trailer and loved this set-up.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #9

No problems with our 2013 V-Lite so far

We have a 2013 30WIKSS that we bought at the RV show in February. It's been on two trips so far (200 mile round trip and 400 mile round trip). The only problems we are aware of were entirely operator caused. We are brand new to RVing after many years in a tent. We were given an hour and a half walk through with plenty of opportunity to ask questions, but even so there was a lot of information overload. Fortunately our unit was sold to us by the dealership service manager who provided us with his personal cell phone number and instructed us to call him at any time. So far we've managed to keep it to business hours, but we are grateful to have that relationship. I sincerely hope that your situation is taken care of promptly and to your satisfaction. This sounds to me like a manufacturing problem and I would think Forest River would want to take a look at it. Perhaps I am overly optimistic, but it sounds as though your unit should be replaced as defective. The RV techs we have talked with tell us that Flagstaff has a low rate of necessary repair. Good luck to you. We are leaving the end of the month for Goshen and hope to meet other V-Lite owners there.
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitibby View Post
Teresa, the trailer was not overloaded. My husband even commented before we put anything in the trailer that he could barely fit his hand between the tire and the bottom of the trailer. The dealer told us that they have had to replace 3 axles on these trailers because of this very issue.
Wow, I hope that is a good, clear message to the manufacturers that the axels are crap.
So have they promised it back to you in time for your upcoming trip?
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Steph View Post
We have a 2013 30WIKSS that we bought at the RV show in February. It's been on two trips so far (200 mile round trip and 400 mile round trip). .
Ray and Steph;

We bought the same model in a 2014 5 weeks ago. We've been *very* pleased (we've taken it on two short trips already, no problems except for....)

Check a thread I created further down on the forum under the Flagstaff sub forum.

Our sleep sofa won't stay in place. It slides forward about 1.5 inches while being pulled, causing the superslider (where the recliners are) to scrub against the face of the right hand cushion.

While getting information for the factory rep I found something that worries me more:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tes-43069.html

That sofa leg down in that hole against all those wires!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
NELA

skitibby;

I just went out and checked our tire clearance. It's in the back yard, ready to pull out tomorrow. Everything is loaded except for food and clothes, and there are a few items in it that won't ride there; a misting fan, couple of chairs, winegard antenna, etc. Those will ride in the truck bed.

We have a good three inch clearance between the top of the tire and the belly pan.

What happend to you folks is a nitemare! *So* sorry you're going through this.

I can share the Flagstaff Factory Rep. email address with ya if you want it. I contacted them via email yesterday and Kevin called me before 11 AM Central time this morning. VERY prompt and helpful! Have your VIN number handy, include it in the email. He'll ask for it. It's on a white sticker inside the tongue frame.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #13

Ray and Steph, we bought ours at a RV show in February also --- in San Antonio. Our couch also moves around. No straps. I'll have to keep an eye on the fabric. Have you had any issues with the day/night shade?
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok sorry, not a V light, but..... We just returned from a 5000+ mile maiden voyage with our new toy hauler. A work n play, we also have a tire rubbing on wheel wells issue, hauled only 4 bicycles and a new gen set. 1/3 tank of fresh water.what do you think will happen if we put a couple of motorcycles in the garage ?
And the dometic frig quit 3/4 of TH way in to our trip. It did however stay in place !
That sounds extreme, sorry you are dealing with this much of a problem! Hope it works out well.
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #15

Sorry to hear of your problems. Our 2012 V-Lite 30WRKSS has been problem free. Keep us posted.

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #16

We too have a V-Lite and have no major problems. Just the toilet flush that broke and it was replaced with no question and our table top had a crack in it also replaced no questions asked. Personally I would demand that they replace the RV with a new one as a lemon (does your state have a lemon law?) Seems to me there is just to much damage for it to be repaired to like new and those things would continue to cause problems.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
Ray and Steph, we bought ours at a RV show in February also --- in San Antonio. Our couch also moves around. No straps. I'll have to keep an eye on the fabric. Have you had any issues with the day/night shade?

No problems *yet* with the shades. Check the thread I created at the Flagstaff forum for update pictures.

We also, after making the temporary repairs described in the update, placed several layers of the rubber shelf liner material under the front legs. The sofa doesn't budge with that under 'em!

BUT, I will be addressing that issue with the dealer when we carry it in for the hole repair. It should be anchored!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #18

Well things went from bad to worse. Forest River's "fix" for the axle problem is to shim the axle. Why would you need to shim the axle in the first place if the axle is rated for that trailer? Their solution to our outside door coming off is to file it with our insurance company. I will never buy anything again from Scenic Traveler RV in Baraboo, WI or Slinger, WI. and Forest River. It's a shame because I was really excited about this camper purchase.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #19

We have a 4 month old Rockwood Windjammer 3008W. The first time I looked under the wheel wells I noticed very little clearance. Then on the last trip out (out third trip) the left side tires rubbed severely to the point of failure of one of them. Had to get smaller diameter tires to make it home. Contacted Rockwood warranty service and they are sending new axles to a local dealer for installation. The local dealer will aslo repair the damaged wheel wells.

Contacted a person on another forum that has the same trailer and the same problem. I don't know if the wrong axles were installed or the axles failed. A double failure seems unlikely to me but the trailer has settled further while here at the house empty. The Rockwood person left me with the indication that this is not the first occurence of this problem and that they may have a quality issue at the factory.

I also called Dexter Axle to talk with a representative there. He tells me that I should have at least 2 to 3 inch clearance in the wheel well of my trailer with the trailer fully loaded. According to Dexter, my axle serial number should have a 22 degree downward angle on the torsion arms with the trailer fully loaded. Three of my torsion arms are at 0 degrees and the fourth is about 10 degrees up. No wonder there is no clearance.

I would not allow a Forest River dealer to simply add spacers to raise the trailer for clearance unless a FR professional engineer agrees to the design change and even then there is no need if they install the right model axle.

I am still waiting for my new axles to arrive at the local dealer. Rockwood also said they would partially reimburse me for the tires I had to buy and also send me a set of replacement tires in the original size. Will keep everyone appraised as to how this turns out.
hehbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
NELA

skitibby,

Sorry to hear about your dealer's response.

My dealer called me bright and early this morning. Asked me to describe the problems again (she was in a separate building from sales). When I went through it all her only response was:

Ma'am when can we get it in here for repairs?

I kidz ya not. She wanted it tomorrow but I explained the temporary repairs we made because we're pulling out this evening for the lake.

She didn't question a thing. We'll be taking it in next Saturday. She was happy with that because she said *she* will be there. It's 90 miles to the dealer so we're gonna go early, drop it off and make a day of it in that city. We're gonna just leave it there until the first of August when we're making our next trip (to Texas) and it's on our way.

That'll give 'em plenty of time to address both issues and next week we're going over it with a fine toothed comb looking for anything else that needs attention.

WMTire, you're *so* right! These people have impressed the everlivin' daylights out of me with their service response so far. Got 'em crawlin out of the woodwork to help, from the Factory Rep, to the Sales Department, to the Repair/Service Department.

No wonder they're ROUTE 66 Dealers!