Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

New V Lite owner with problems

We purchased a 2013 V Lite travel trailer and took delivery from our dealer in April 2013. We purchased the trailer after years of camping in a pop-up; big upgrade! We had a 2 week trip planned from WI to New York State; Niagara Falls and then the Adirondacks. A couple of weeks before our big trip, we made plans to have a dry-run with our camper and take it to a State Park located 20 minutes from our home. Unfortunately, while packing up for our small 2 night adventure, we learned that our fridge did not work; a new panel needed to be installed. We hauled it back to the dealer and missed out on our 2 night camp. Then 2 weeks ago came the big trip. Before we packed up my husband made a comment about how there was only an inch or 2 of clearance between the wheels and the bottom of the camper. I told him not to worry about it. After we loaded up and made it to Niagara, my husband noticed that the tires had indeed rubbed through the bottom of the camper. On top of it, the enclosed underbelly was starting to bow and come off. The worse came on our way home. In the last 180 miles of our trip, our outside latch door that contained our outdoor refrigerator came off along with our refrigerator door and all of its contents. It bent both sets of steps on our main and bathroom doors, punctured a hole in the camper and pieces were lodged up under the camper. We did not know that this happened because we were traveling at night and passed a lot of semis. We suspect it happened when we passed a triple trailer Fed Ex truck. The door latch was locked and it looks like it was sucked out from the top down. The screws for the hinges were only drilled in to the aluminum trim around the door and not the camper frame itself. My question is has anyone else had these types for manufacturing problems? I did my homework for 3 years before making this purchase and thought I was buying a quality product. I now feel duped!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

Sometimes these things happen worse with one camper more than the others. It really sucks but it happens. Your still under warranty take it back and have your dealership make it right.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
TeresaInCAL

Man, that really stinks. Definitely take it back to the dealership and have them fix everything.
So, was the trailer overloaded? Why were the wheels so close to the body?
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #4

We have a new 2013 V-Lite too. We have not endured any of the problems you mentioned. I feel sorry for your letdown. Don't give up on the V-Lite. Yours may be a lemon.
Ours is the 30wfkss. How about yours?
Our only complaint thus far are the crappy day/night shades. One broke after three ups and downs. Not covered by warranty after only 3 months. Replaced it earlier this week and have already found a 2nd one about to go. Nice concept, but pure junk!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the issues with your 2013 V lite. I agree with the above posts, take it back to your dealer and have them make it right.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

We have taken it back to the dealer however it's going to be at least a month before it's fixed. We have another 2 week camping trip planned starting July 11th. If the trailer was older, I could understand but it's brand new.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

Teresa, the trailer was not overloaded. My husband even commented before we put anything in the trailer that he could barely fit his hand between the tire and the bottom of the trailer. The dealer told us that they have had to replace 3 axles on these trailers because of this very issue.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

Larry, we have the 30WTBSK. I looked a long time for a travel trailer and loved this set-up.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

No problems with our 2013 V-Lite so far

We have a 2013 30WIKSS that we bought at the RV show in February. It's been on two trips so far (200 mile round trip and 400 mile round trip). The only problems we are aware of were entirely operator caused. We are brand new to RVing after many years in a tent. We were given an hour and a half walk through with plenty of opportunity to ask questions, but even so there was a lot of information overload. Fortunately our unit was sold to us by the dealership service manager who provided us with his personal cell phone number and instructed us to call him at any time. So far we've managed to keep it to business hours, but we are grateful to have that relationship. I sincerely hope that your situation is taken care of promptly and to your satisfaction. This sounds to me like a manufacturing problem and I would think Forest River would want to take a look at it. Perhaps I am overly optimistic, but it sounds as though your unit should be replaced as defective. The RV techs we have talked with tell us that Flagstaff has a low rate of necessary repair. Good luck to you. We are leaving the end of the month for Goshen and hope to meet other V-Lite owners there.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitibby View Post
Teresa, the trailer was not overloaded. My husband even commented before we put anything in the trailer that he could barely fit his hand between the tire and the bottom of the trailer. The dealer told us that they have had to replace 3 axles on these trailers because of this very issue.
Wow, I hope that is a good, clear message to the manufacturers that the axels are crap.
So have they promised it back to you in time for your upcoming trip?

TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote