Old 02-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #21

I have to agree with bamaq Rambler, although you should be okay for short jaunts. My trailer is rated at 5750lbs. DRY, and my Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi is really not enough truck to safely pull my camper any long distances. However in Florida, as I am also, you should be fine, but it's really the sudden emergency maneuvering that makes me feel very squeamish about my truck pulling this load. Also, bear in mind that I do a lot of "dry camping" meaning I must carry my water that I need in, and my sewage that I make back with me, so that is extra added weight on my camper. Also, I have two slide outs, and that makes it heavier, also. I live in Jax, and make a lot of trips to the Orlando area, and I haven't had it too bad so far. However, I would NOT feel comfortable pulling this with my truck to the mountains. Also, my mileage drops to about 7 or 8 mpg. pulling at 65. I usually get 20-21 mpg. Just some food for thought! Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #22

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
icefireguy,
We pull ours mainly in the hills of TN. But we have also been out west. from my experience, you may fell a little sway because of you wheel base. And it is real good that you added the tranny cooler. You just have to watch for nuts on I75. For safety, you might think of having your brake controller mount on top of the dash. I remove mine when it is not been used. But I do feel better that it easy to reach if an emergency comes up.

I really think a diesel is the only tow engine that should be sold. When tuned correctly, it get better MPG towing or not. And it better for the environment. That is why I hope I can upgrade to a 2010 or better a 2011 Suburban with the new 4.5 Duramax when they come out.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #23

Well, made it home from the dealer alive with the V-Lite in one peace and I must say the Tacoma towed it like a champ. Not one bit of sway or erratic movement of any type. It's my first over the road towing experience so I really have nothing to compare it to, but the Tacoma seemed to like 65 mph the best. If I went lower and there was even the slightest grade, it kept dropping down a gear, which I assume would go away with a larger tow vehicle. Other than that all went well.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #24

Congrats on your new trailer.. WE love our V lite ...... just got back from a RVing weekend with friends...

irv2.com National rally... Dundee, Ohio
June14-20, 2009
toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #25

Well, was at the Dodge dealer last week and he made me an offer on a 2008 Dodge ram 1500 I just couldn't refuse. Bye, Bye Tacoma, hello Ram!!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #26
Head Rambler

Congrats on that new TV. That Ram will definitely handle your RV.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #27

Yes, today was the first time we hooked up the V Lite to the new Ram and took it for a ride. We are planning our first trip on may 1st to visit friends in Louisiana and I wanted to make sure the Prodigy brake controller and the Reese equipment I installed were set up correctly. All seems fine, but I must say I was a bit shocked to only get 9 mpg's, because I figured I would do a bit better than the 9 mpg's I got towing the V lite with the Tacoma. I may have to see if anyone on here feels that it would be worth me installing some K&N intake equipment to try to improve mileage.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #28

Ice, I have an 07 Ram w/ Hemi and 3.92 rear end. Best I get is 9mpg with my 26tbss. I thought of some add ons too, but haven't bought any yet.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #29

Hello Icefireguy, I HAVE an 06 Quad cab hemi 1500 Ram, with 3:54 rear end; and I get about 7 mpg with my 30 foot V-lite. I have installed a K&N air filter set up, and installed flowmaster "true" dual exhaust, and I cannot honestly say it has made ANY difference in mpg's. It does make a tremendous difference in the sound of the truck when accelerating, however. And I can feel a little more power, too. BOTTOM LINE: WORTH IT? Hard to say. I like the sound when driving the truck WITHOUT towing anything, but pulling this it is a bit too loud for my taste. No noticable mpg savings unloaded, either.
I guess if mpg is your goal, ya gotta get a DIESEL!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #30

First trip!

This past week the Wife and I used the V Lite for the first time and stayed at a rv resort in Sarasota, FL and loved the whole experience. The V Lite performed flawlessly, except for the antenna handle falling off in my hand while I was raising it, which was a 2 minute fix. It did take me a bit of time, and a visit to this website for info, to get hot water to the coach. The bypass valve was open in the rear outside compartment, and once I closed that we had plenty of hot H20. The new Ram 1500 towed the tt with no trouble at all and the Reese anti-sway worked great. Now that we have used the V Lite once we are now looking to upgrade to a larger tt. NOT! lol

Tags
flagstaff