Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #41

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
My dealer did let me test pull a 30wrls. Mine was still on order. I wanted to see if I needed another mods to the Tahoe.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #42

I have noticed that this thread is old but hopefully someone will help me. Did anyone that purchased a V-lite trailer get a model with the trailer coupler on the bottom of the trailer frame? I just purchased a 2011 30wrlts model and the trailer coupler is located on the bottom of the chassis. This is causing me issues with setting up the trailer to tow behind my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Quad cab pickup. I have always read that you want to have your trailer as level as possible when you tow it but when the dealer set it up they had the rear of the trailer lower than the front and I experience major sway issues on my last camping trip. I am using a Reese 12,000 lb WD hitch with the Dual Cam sway setup. I have taken the trailer back to the dealer twice so far to try to get it level. The last time they installed another longer shank that only gives me about 5" of ground clearance. But the trailer is finally level. my question is - Has anyone else with the V-Lite ran into this problem? Also will 5" of ground clearance at the shank be enough when I take this unit on the road. Please let me know what you think. Thanks,
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #43
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV View Post
I have noticed that this thread is old but hopefully someone will help me. Did anyone that purchased a V-lite trailer get a model with the trailer coupler on the bottom of the trailer frame? I just purchased a 2011 30wrlts model and the trailer coupler is located on the bottom of the chassis. This is causing me issues with setting up the trailer to tow behind my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Quad cab pickup. I have always read that you want to have your trailer as level as possible when you tow it but when the dealer set it up they had the rear of the trailer lower than the front and I experience major sway issues on my last camping trip. I am using a Reese 12,000 lb WD hitch with the Dual Cam sway setup. I have taken the trailer back to the dealer twice so far to try to get it level. The last time they installed another longer shank that only gives me about 5" of ground clearance. But the trailer is finally level. my question is - Has anyone else with the V-Lite ran into this problem? Also will 5" of ground clearance at the shank be enough when I take this unit on the road. Please let me know what you think. Thanks,
We had that exact same problem with our 2011 V-Lite 30WRLS and a 2008 Ram 2500 4x4 Megacab because of the way the copler is mounted to the bottom of the frame. We had ordered a Reese trunion bar 12k hitch and the only way to get it level was with a 12 or so inch drop shank. The owner of the dealership took one look at it and said that was not acceptable. 3 hrs and 4 hitches later they put a Blue Ox 15k Sway Pro (only difference in weights on the Blue Ox is the bars they all use the same head) on and it was perfectly level when they were done.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #44

What shank length did you finally end up using to get your TV & TT to tow level? My shank measures 12" in total length. I would also be interested in the height of your hitch (from ground to top of square tube of the receiver). I have 17" measurement on my truck. I have about 5 1/2" ground clearance at the bottow of my shank. I even install a new 15,000 lb Curt hitch on my truck so that the receiver tube would be lower than the factory installed hitch. I am concerned with the lack of clearance at the bottom of the shank. I am worried that this may catch something when I am traveling on back roads or over railroad track or speed bumps.

I am going back to my dealer, as this is a new install too, and try to get them to solve this issue. I have included a picture. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00748.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2920  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #45
Wanna Be Camper

I'll get back to you later today when I get home from work. Your pic looks exactly like what mine looked like in the dealers shop when they had the drop shank installed. The owner just about had a fit when he saw it. He actually stayed out in the shop with the techs until they had it right and at one point he told me that we may have to go home without the trailer if they could not get it level as he would not allow it to be pulled like that. When all was said and done they gave us the 15k Blue Ox for 100 bux more than the Reese 12k Trunion bar we had ordered and never charged any setup fee. THe Blue Ox is using the standard shank and the truck has the stock receiver and all sits level. I'll get a couple pics of the hitch for you as well. Our truck measures 22 1/2" from the ground to the top of the square tube for the receiver. FYI our truck is totally stock including tire size, the owner actually thought it was lifted but i corrected him on that.

John & Deb
Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #46

Well, it looks like we have the sway problem fix on our V-Lite. We went back to the dealer for the third time to get the Reese dual cam adjusted so that we would not have a sway issue and the dealer could not get it adjusted to correct the problem so he finally agreed to install a new Equalizer 12,000 lb hitch. We just picked up the trailer this past Wednesday so we have not had time to get it on the interstate hwys yet. The route that I drove coming how was on a two lane road that is well traveled with large tractor trailers. I was surprised that I had to watch my speed because before I knew it the truck was going over 65 and the speed on that road was only 55. So I slowed it down and just enjoyed the drive. It seemed to tow completely different with the Equalizer hitch instead of the Reese hitch. It will be several weeks before I can get it on the interstates but I feel like we have solved the sway problem completely. Also the trailer is now lower in the front than in the rear and the truck is setting level with the weight of the trailer on it.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #47
Wanna Be Camper

Just did over 6000km with ours and the Blue Ox hitch. It towed like it was on rails, at one point the cross wind was pushing a trailer around in front of us like it was a toy and I could barely feel any push at all and I actually passed that guy as I was kind of concerned he was going to go off the road.

John & Deb
Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #48

Just bought a 2011 30wfkss V-lite with the two slides. Kitchen up front, rear bedroom. Love it so far but have experienced some sway when towing. Tow with a 2000 Ford F-350 power stroke. Plenty of truck. Had sway bar and load levelers both on when towing. Took load levelers off and maybe noticed a little improvement. Trailer tongue just slightly (maybe an inch or two absolute most) higher than level when hitched up. Can't lower hitch any more without getting a bigger drop hitch. Any suggestions if this could be my problem or what might help?
wfkssvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfkssvlite View Post
Just bought a 2011 30wfkss V-lite with the two slides. Kitchen up front, rear bedroom. Love it so far but have experienced some sway when towing. Tow with a 2000 Ford F-350 power stroke. Plenty of truck. Had sway bar and load levelers both on when towing. Took load levelers off and maybe noticed a little improvement. Trailer tongue just slightly (maybe an inch or two absolute most) higher than level when hitched up. Can't lower hitch any more without getting a bigger drop hitch. Any suggestions if this could be my problem or what might help?
Even with an F350, I would think that an integrated WDH/sway control should be a must with that long of a trailer. The tongue weight is close to 1000 lbs. empty. That takes a lot of weight off of the front end, regardless of how heavy a truck you have. Try a Reese Straight Line, Equalizer, or Blue Ox with intergrated sway control, with a minimum of 1200 lb. bars.....you may even have to go with a heavier setup.

I understand that sway bars are not effective on longer trailers like that.

You did not mention what the wheelbase on your F350 is....the longer the better.

Why don't you step on over to the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself ???

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #50

Our 30fk V is a Hula girl! Cant travel with F/W in tank(very rear tank).Travel with (Gally front tank)for ballest! Reese 1200 bars,dual cam,15% tongue weight,naked rear bumper,spare tire under the A frame,2 30# propane tanks,1 battery,power 12V jack,all on top of the A frame. HD 3/4 ton(2011) GMC CC PU truck,72PSI in tires of truck,55 PSI in trailer tires. Reese dual cam(1200#) Travel speed 55-60 and death grip when I see a Semi in the lane to pass me! This is not my first time towing trailers,but this is the first one I cant control! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #51

Thanks, I think i'll try to get it settin closer to level hitched and then see how it pulls. Gonna talk to dealer about it too. Thanks again for your help.
wfkssvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff