Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #1

Question Newbie needs to re-level.

I'm an extreme novice to RV ownership (less than a few months) and the time has come to re-level my 2011 Flagstaff 26FKSS Travel Trailer. Some soft ground has caused the slide-out side to sink a little bit and I think I just need to put a 2x6 under the wheels on that side.

This may be a dumb question, but is it "acceptable" to simply retract the slide-out and jack up that side (as if I'm changing the tires) so I can slide the board underneath the wheels? If so, where do I place the jack? My guess is that I'll have to hitch it up and maneuver it, but I had the trailer delivered to my site and I've never even hitched it to my truck before and I'm afraid I'll put the whole thing out of whack because of my inexperience in pulling forward and backing up with it. I know I have to bite the bullet and do it sooner or later, but for now, due to somewhat of a time crunch, I'm wondering if just jacking it up is safe.

This has been quite an experience and it seems like I learn something new about the trailer (and myself) each time I spend time in it (which has only been three weekends total). But, there looks like a lot of good information on this forum and I hope my first post will be met with some good advice.

Thanks.
SandGMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

I think that doing a short tow would be just as easy and safer than jacking. It is worth it to get the experience. If it is at a campground you could see if the owner will do the move with you or for you.

You don't need to do the full hitch routine, just drop the hitch on the ball, hook up the cable and chains, make sure everthing else is out of the way and make the move. You could even just cut blocks instead of a board and place one behind each tire so you are only going a foot or so.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
You don't need to do the full hitch routine, just drop the hitch on the ball, hook up the cable and chains, make sure everthing else is out of the way and make the move.
I completely agree- on a dual axle camper, you're literally going to pull the camper forward 6', put the boards under that side and then back the camper the same 6'. Don't move the steering wheel and you'll end up exactly where you started.

It's easier to do with a helper/spotter, but I can usually see my tires in the mirror as I'm leveling up.

That said, I think that jacking the camper up is an option- where to jack is an age old question. Most people say that you should put a board between your jack and the camper's FRAME and jack it up there. Many people say that jacking the axles themselves won't cause issues (unless you have torsion axles)- just get as close to the U-bolt/axle hanger as possible. I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it, though- not once you learn how easy the hitching and unhitching process really is.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

You should have on hand 4 or 6 squares of wood; 6X6 0r 6X8 inches by 1" thick.
When you park your trailer, place one under each of your level feet. This will stop the sinking. Do this prior to moving your trailer.
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #5

I would not use the jack if I were you. You'll have to hitch and drive sooner or later, might as well do it now when it is not so critical and at the same time bypass the risk of damaging the trailer's axles.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags