Old 10-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Question Newbie questions - 2006 Flagstaff

We just came back from our second excursion with our 2006 Flagstaff 831RLSS and have some questions.

#1. This was our first time to use the water system. When we filled the tank and turned on the pump, the water shot out of the city water connection. I finally put a shutoff valve on it and that stopped. We had a time getting pressure built up until my sister-in-law's husband looked at the system and turned the inside valves (inside the cabinet) in the correct direction. OK! When we left the campsite to come home, I took the shutoff valve off and the water shot out again! Should there be some type of back flow valve on the water system to prevent this? If so, where would it be?

#2. Everything appears to be OK with the electrical, but sometimes (especially in the evening) the converter seems to be "cycling". The lights will go bright and then dim - the converter is making a humming sound while this is going on. Is this a converter problem or do we need to replace the battery?

#3. We have had some success in stabilizing the trailer after it is parked. We have the X-chocks installed (that helped a lot) and we discovered another helpful solution. The braces that came with the unit to "lock" the slide while traveling make great stabilizers UNDER the slide after it is out. We had seen some slide jacks in a catalog and thought the braces would work just as well. They did make some difference. We also saw a step jack that could be used under the entry steps - a small hydraulic jack worked wonders to keep the step from moving up and down.

All in all it was a great trip and we are enjoying our excursions. We are still learning about the trailer and may have more questions as we go along.

We appreciate any comments or suggestions for our questions.

gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
#1. Sounds like you have a stuck check valve.

#2. Don't know

#3. Use of a jack under the slide is not recommended. If the trailer settles a bit while parked the jacks could damage the slide mechanism. Look into getting some stabilizers for your jacks.

2004 Flagstaff 8528RLSS - 2005 Dodge 2500 QC LB Hemi

tgif: let's RV - HobbyTalk
HobbyTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
We have the same unit and LOVE it.
1- As stated above the check valve for the city connection appears stuck, have you hooked up to city water? If not it may be that when you do it will correct itself. (Don't forget to hook a pressure protection unit between the faucet and the city water connection, some campgrounds can have up to 100 PSI! Cost about $10.00 to $15.00 at Camping World if you do not have one.

2- Ours will do the humming thing when we have a lot of 12 volt stuff on. I have not seen the dimming though.

3- I would not put anything under the slide.
What we did was put a cement block under each stabilizer jack. (It keeps the jack from going all the way down, therefore helping to reduce movement.) You will ALWAYS have movement. You will get used to it. I tried the thing that goes between the my opinion because of the torsion bar suspention, they did not help!
Congrats on your unit!
2006 Flagstaff 831RLSS Travel Trailer

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Thanks for the answers and information.

I was justifying jacking the slide based on some "slide" jacks that I had seen in a couple of catalogs. I certainly will take the advice and not use anything under the slides.

We are going to have the unit winterized in the next few weeks and I'll ask the dealer about the water problem and about the converter.

In the meantime, if anybody has any other ideas or suggestions, I will welcome them.

We are learning as we go. AND having fun doing so!

gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
#2.....Did this condition happen at more than one campground ??? If not, It could be the overall load on the campground system. At night with every A,C running / tv's / lights..inside and out / microwaves / etc....etc...

Happened to me at Anastasia this summer.....effected my A.C !!
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote