Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinMobley232 View Post
Thank you. Yeah we had the phones and a charging block to charge the phones away from a power source plugged into 110. I will not do that anymore. There are multiple USB ports throughout the camper, would that be a better option to try?

Strangely, my phone only sustains the same % when plugged into USB off grid. It works better while plugged into shore power. (Still experimenting)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #22

Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydunks View Post
Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074VY3CKY...p_mob_ap_share

I really like this to charge my phones.

Also, I saw that you said to turn on the inverter to charge phones. There’s one of your problems there. Extremely inefficient to convert 12v DC to 110v AC then back to 5v DC in the phone chargers. Just plug into a 12v port (or add one), and use that to charge phones with. The inverter sucks lots of juice.
Or simply charge them from the tow vehicle. The phone chargers don't draw enough to seriously deplete the tow vehicle's battery in a few days.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaB View Post
If you are going to be boondocking or any camping without shore power, you have to be very stingy about using power. Besides what was mentioned, if your hot water tank is both electric and propane, shut off the electric and only run water pump when water is needed. Make sure your fridge in on gas, be stingy on lights, TV and anything that runs on 12V. Also don't forget that the solar panel will only charge the battery if it get enough full, strong sunlight.

Agree with this post, except for the last sentence.
Not replying to argue, criticize, or discredit anyone, so, no need to be upset with me.

Just stating what has happened to me when charging using solar.

With just the roof panel (100W), I have gotten 3.5amps of solar charging power in full cloud cover and partially blocked by a garage. I was giggly happy about that. Couldn't believe it.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #24

a simple 100w solar panel, IF in the sun ALL DAY LONG, will only render a small portion of the 'power' that you use during a 24hour period... and since the typical RVr realizes this in the early morning hours, when the battery(s) die, or the furnace no longer comes on, it's symptomatic of the fact that once the sun goes down in the late afternoon, NO solar is any longer available - yet you have potentially 12 to 16 more HOURS of non-solar night-time usage of your battery(s)... it's a wonder the battery(s) don't last thru the 'night'.

A generator is your only option to keep your battery(s) charged during the overnight hours, no matter how bad people try to stay away from using them... and, they are very efficient for what you want them to do compared to the price you pay, especially as compared to the little benefit of solar versus it's price.

Solar power can attempt to delay the time when the generator is needed, but ultimately the generator is the only 'off-grid' power supply that doesn't care whether the sun is out, or not. Most folks 'fear' the generator as though it is somehow a monster that must be fed, and a loud one at that - but a generator can be more quiet than most think, and are very good at charging your battery(s) and providing 120v power to your air conditioner and microwave and other things while it's charging those batteries - and it doesn't have to run 'non-stop', but you may only need to run it for an hour, several times a day, to accomplish what you need.

Most folks who 'camp' and are normally plugged into shore power at the campground or rv park rarely need to worry about these things. The travel to and from is the few hours where 120v power is not available.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
a simple 100w solar panel, IF in the sun ALL DAY LONG, will only render a small portion of the 'power' that you use during a 24hour period... and since the typical RVr realizes this in the early morning hours, when the battery(s) die, or the furnace no longer comes on, it's symptomatic of the fact that once the sun goes down in the late afternoon, NO solar is any longer available - yet you have potentially 12 to 16 more HOURS of non-solar night-time usage of your battery(s)... it's a wonder the battery(s) don't last thru the 'night'.

A generator is your only option to keep your battery(s) charged during the overnight hours, no matter how bad people try to stay away from using them... and, they are very efficient for what you want them to do compared to the price you pay, especially as compared to the little benefit of solar versus it's price.

Solar power can attempt to delay the time when the generator is needed, but ultimately the generator is the only 'off-grid' power supply that doesn't care whether the sun is out, or not. Most folks 'fear' the generator as though it is somehow a monster that must be fed, and a loud one at that - but a generator can be more quiet than most think, and are very good at charging your battery(s) and providing 120v power to your air conditioner and microwave and other things while it's charging those batteries - and it doesn't have to run 'non-stop', but you may only need to run it for an hour, several times a day, to accomplish what you need.

Most folks who 'camp' and are normally plugged into shore power at the campground or rv park rarely need to worry about these things. The travel to and from is the few hours where 120v power is not available.

Depends on how much power you need. My solar keeps me powered. Lowest my batteries have gone is 12.3v. One panel charges that back up within a few hours. No generator is needed at all based on my usage.
Solar setup - less than $200. Way cheaper than a generator. And I never have to buy gas, hear noise, smell exhaust.
So sorry, but, I have to completely disagree with you based on the facts of my experiences.

Solar sustains the battery all day, and batteries sustains usage all night.

These first-hand experiences are in complete contrary to your comments.
Must clearly be based on usage. So, to say people need generators is false. Not trying to upset anyone, simply stating the facts as I have experienced them.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #26

I can see how one - 100w panel will not keep your massive RV powered. That thing probably uses more juice than my house!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #27

One 100 watt solar panel is not much capacity. Good for learning. Two six volt batteries hold 200+ amps or so. These panels put out less than 40 on a good day. Don’t expect a lot.

Probably what you really need is a good volt meter. Running the batteries below 12 volts does damage to them. Decreases their capacity.

Get a chart of various appliance amp usage and study up.

Inverters on standby use electricity. If you want to charge phones use existing USB ports on radios etc. also install a cigarette lighter plug. Adapters for those are cheap.

Inverters are only 80-90% efficient. Better ones cost more. Also use less on standby..

Today’s batteries are poor storage devices. Got to manage what you have.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
These panels put out less than 40 on a good day. Don’t expect a lot.
Not even close to 40...try 20 to 25 with flat mounted solar panels.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #29

I'm not sure if it's a dealer issue or from the factory but if we have two 12V batteries then it should be connected to the controller as 2 individual batteries and not as one. Not sure why they would do this but wire isn't that expensive.

Do you know the AH of your battery? I have a spreadsheet that I use to determine the draw of most of the electronics in the trailer. I also based the awning lights on what I could find on Amazon that were close to what we have. Seems rather high to me.

Just know that batteries AH will change based on how many amps you draw on them. The more amps you draw per hour decreases the AH of the battery in a nonlinear way.

I have two 6V batteries that are 225 AH so I only have 225 AH total but I can only probably expect to use 150 AH.

I bought my own TV so it may draw a bit more than the one that came with the trailer but not much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	203313  
Danieloneil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #30
Trailer Park Supervisor

Daniel, you do not want to go below 50% discharge or you will diminish the life of the batts. Therefore, you only have 112.5 amp hours available based on your 6v batt specs.

**edit - that is assuming you are not replenishing batts as you use the power. If you have power input, for example, through solar, then obviously you will have more amp hours for consumption at your disposal.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #31
Geo Pro Owner

Does anyone know if any of the USB ports in the Geo Pro/E Pro are directly wired to the battery vs. going through the inverter? I know there is one on the solar controller that I assume is direct to the battery, but not sure about the outlet with USB port that pops up (above the bed in the 19BH). Can't remember if there are any other ports.Click image for larger version

Name:	155233793769467.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	203681
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #32

Curious, unless I've missed it no one has mentioned installing a "proper" battery monitor. (Something with a shunt). Stop guessing. If your going to camp off grid understand your on batteries, not solar. Boondocking is all about batteries no matter how you recharge them. Knowing where you are with your fuel tank is step one.

Example: Victron BMV-700

FYI I do the hybrid thing as previously mentioned. I run my quiet inverter generator in the morning to bulk up the batteries and power the coffee maker.

By the way, "bulking up" the batteries is another topic. Does your power center say "WFCO" anywhere on it?

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #33
Geo Pro Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Curious, unless I've missed it no one has mentioned installing a "proper" battery monitor. (Something with a shunt). Stop guessing. If your going to camp off grid understand your on batteries, not solar. Boondocking is all about batteries no matter how you recharge them. Knowing where you are with your fuel tank is step one.

Example: Victron BMV-700

FYI I do the hybrid thing as previously mentioned. I run my quiet inverter generator in the morning to bulk up the batteries and power the coffee maker.

By the way, "bulking up" the batteries is another topic. Does your power center say "WFCO" anywhere on it?

- Jeff
Yes all the Geo Pros use something like this. https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8735-35-amp/

I just upgraded my batteries to 2 6v deep cycle batteries. Hopefully that will last me for a couple of days of dry camping. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190504_091245.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	203695
Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
Yes all the Geo Pros use something like this. https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8735-35-amp/

I just upgraded my batteries to 2 6v deep cycle batteries. Hopefully that will last me for a couple of days of dry camping. Attachment 203695
If you had crappy 12V like I did then you’ll love the 6V ones.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Daniel, you do not want to go below 50% discharge or you will diminish the life of the batts. Therefore, you only have 112.5 amp hours available based on your 6v batt specs.

**edit - that is assuming you are not replenishing batts as you use the power. If you have power input, for example, through solar, then obviously you will have more amp hours for consumption at your disposal.
I’m not worried about running them down and hurting them. If I do then I’ll just buy new ones as they aren’t that expensive. From what I’ve read and watched golf cart batteries are pretty stout and made to be abused. I doubt I’ll go below 50% many times during the season.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:05 PM   #36
Trailer Park Supervisor

My golf cart batts were 300 for the pair. I want them to last as long as possible, as such won't be going below 50% if I can help it. I don't see needing a lot of power in the evenings anyhow except for my CPAP, which is pretty efficient, less than 60W with heater off.

As for the USB power question, I will have to test them and see if they run with inverter off. I've only plugged into the one on the Go Power panel so far.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #37

The USBs don’t use the inverter as they are DC power. I’ve used them every time I’ve gone camping and have yet to turn on the inverter. I also doubt I’ll go through a full charge on the batteries at night since I have enough solar to keep up with the power I do use during the day which is very little since we don’t go in it during the day.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #38
Geo Pro Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieloneil01 View Post
The USBs don’t use the inverter as they are DC power. I’ve used them every time I’ve gone camping and have yet to turn on the inverter. I also doubt I’ll go through a full charge on the batteries at night since I have enough solar to keep up with the power I do use during the day which is very little since we don’t go in it during the day.
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
Thanks!
The cigarette lighter is also 12V as I use that to power my tv.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #40

The heater is a huge drain on the battery. It will suck the battery down in a couple hours by itself, that’s why most people put an extra blanket on and keep the thermostat down low.
Muzzledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, solar