Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #81

Sailun Tires

I also put Sailun S637 on our 37' 5th wheel and have been extremely pleased with them. In the past 1 1/2 years, we have put about 12,000 miles on them and they look near brand new. They hold the air extremely well, ride smooth and are very tough. I do use a TPMS as piece of mind and find that all 4 tires ride very consistently in regards to running pressure and temperature. Our 5r weighs in at just around 13,500 when loaded up and we have 16" tires on it.
Droneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #82
IndyDave

I purchased H-901 Hercules Tires in April. They made in Ohio. They are G rated commercial tires. Others that are in our RV group have had good success with them. We will see.
djhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #83

Castle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
Our Flagstaff came with Castle Rock tires. I just did some 'research' on them and they appear to be just another in a long line of garbage that the manufacturers push off on us. Back in 2005 we ordered a Forest River Wildcat. I knew it would come with Carlisle tires. They had the same reputation as the Castle Rocks do now. So I arranged with the dealer to have him remove the Carlisles upon arrival and had BFG light truck tires installed. Had zero problems with that trailer (tire problems anyway).

The problem now is, our Flagstaff has the Dexter axles that leave only a couple inches of clearance between the 28 inch tall Castle Rocks, which pretty much does away with the light truck option I'm afraid.

Why is it that we with towables are left with such poor options. Even the Goodyears are apparently made in China, putting them in the same crowd as the Castle Rocks in my opinion.
I have 8K on my Castle Rocks NP so far. Always check pressure before each trip
NCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:37 AM   #84

Don’t know why Forest River just doesn’t follow Jayco’s lead and install GY Endurance on new rigs. Savvy buyers notice these types of things when shopping. I’ve read so many times of people buying a new trailer and then head straight to the tire shop to get new tires. Though my trailer was purchased used, I did the same thing.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #85
Camper

Just get a set of these and never worry about overloading or blowouts again. I guarantee they will last the life of your trailer.

Until then get a TPMS system and enjoy your RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9726_310708113502.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	184193  

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:17 AM   #86

I have a 2014 Sanibel. Came with Goodyear Marathons. Have less than 2,000 miles on them ( camping close to home mostly) and just had one blow. They are load range E. Not overloaded, but fairly close. I run them at maximum recommended pressure and 65 mph. Just not good tires. I am changing to Sailun load range G tires. Good reviews everywhere. I wanted to go with Goodyear Endurance, but they are only made in load range D and E. Not enough reserve for the Sanibel. Sailuns are made in China, but seem to be holding up well on other trailers. Hopefully, they will work well for me. The increased load capacity and pressure should make a big difference.
Moochie6903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
Our Flagstaff came with Castle Rock tires. I just did some 'research' on them and they appear to be just another in a long line of garbage that the manufacturers push off on us. Back in 2005 we ordered a Forest River Wildcat. I knew it would come with Carlisle tires. They had the same reputation as the Castle Rocks do now. So I arranged with the dealer to have him remove the Carlisles upon arrival and had BFG light truck tires installed. Had zero problems with that trailer (tire problems anyway).

The problem now is, our Flagstaff has the Dexter axles that leave only a couple inches of clearance between the 28 inch tall Castle Rocks, which pretty much does away with the light truck option I'm afraid.

Why is it that we with towables are left with such poor options. Even the Goodyears are apparently made in China, putting them in the same crowd as the Castle Rocks in my opinion.
I went with Bridgestone Duaravis R250 on my last Wildcat. They were great. My new Sanibel I went with Sailun due to the weight
Deleted and Programmed
kwolrley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhender View Post
I purchased H-901 Hercules Tires in April. They made in Ohio. They are G rated commercial tires. Others that are in our RV group have had good success with them. We will see.
Good info!!! One I did not know about.

Edit:
This says it's an LT tire:
http://herculestirecommercial.com/po...ht-truck-tire/

and this says it's an ST tire:
http://www.yournexttire.com/new-tire...16-124l-atdst/

Which is it?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #89
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It is both. The Hercules H-901 is available in both an LT and ST.
Speciality Trailer Tire Gallery | Hercules Tires

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhender View Post
A few bad reviews.

https://hercules-tires.pissedconsumer.com/review.html

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #91

We went with Goodyear Endurance D rated tires 6,000 miles ago and are very satisfied with them. Made in USA.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #92

Westlake tires now put on a nylon cap just like the Maxxis has. Also-the new Carlisle tire is also earning a good reputation.

On another note-I have run Nankang, Carlise, and Power King, Tow Max without issue.

The major cause of trouble are speeding, low inflation, and curb hopping.

When was the last time you read a post something as follows-I was speeding down the freeway at 75mph and it was 90 degrees outside, and I didn't check my inflation before pulling it out of storage and this darn (name the brand) tire blew?

It seems I have never read a post like that.
cknsls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Poopy View Post
I bought a new 18 Arctic Wolf in October of 17. Dry weight is 9500lbs. The trailer came with China Castle Rocks. D load range only and max speed of 75 mph.
The load rating on the tires at maximum pressure was almost the dry weight of the trailer. Fearing the worst I installed 4 of the new Goodyear Endurance that are made in USA. E load rating. No advertised max speed on tire but I just ran from 2 hours north of Toronto Ontario to the NASCAR race in Bristol Tennessee. With another couple I'm sure trailer weight was sneaking up to 10'500lbs and ran 75-80mph when permissible (70mph zone)
Zero issues. The peace of mind was worth the expense of the tires.
In what universe should you be towing at 75-80 mph?
fckohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #94
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

What has been lost here is that it seems that most (but not all) of the China bomb tire issues are on the heavier TT's and 5'vers and not so much on smaller, lighter trailers.

Tow Kings and Tow Max tires (AKA - Blow Max) are the worst tires ever.

If you have them...get rid of them ASAP!

It is a matter of when...not if!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #95

Just returned to La. from a California trip. We had 3 flats on my 3 and 4 your old Maxis. None were blow outs and did no damage, but were tread separations at the corner of the cap and the sidewall. Luckily I run a TST 507 and saw all 3 coming. Inflation checked every morning and my wife watched the monitor like a hawk. I switched to GY endurance because I had difficulty finding Maxxis on the road and here in Louisiana. There was no reason that the Maxis blew that we could find. In fact it surprised the dealer. No cracks or age related problems were found.

I still believe in Maxxis, but will run the GY for now.

Is there a way to contact Maxxis (email is a waste of time... got the standard reply.. Thank you for choosing Maxxis...) to inform them of the issues I had? Also someone else replied with a similar experience with a 3 year old Maxxis.
twaggenspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckohn View Post
In what universe should you be towing at 75-80 mph?
The "universe" of the "Great American West".

States like Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, where there are miles and miles of wide open Interstate and the Semi's are routinely traveling at those speeds, I never fail to see Motor Homes and 5-er's traveling that fast. Also see more than just a few "bumper pulls" behind 1 Ton Diesel powered pickups (usually toy haulers) ripping down the highway at those speeds.

In short that "universe" is where there's an extremely low ratio of highway miles to law enforcement.

Oh, I forgot, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, California are also places I've been passed by travel trailers like I was standing still while driving 60-65 mph.

Not a good idea to do that in Oregon because they actually do patrol their Interstates heavily and have some rather high fines for speed. The one time I got stopped (without my trailer) the trooper cited me for 79, giving me a break. The fine was only $330. If he'd cited me for my actual speed (80+) the fine would have been far more. A LOT more.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:37 AM   #97

I am (was) guilty. When I had the LT tires speed was not a concern, as far as the tires were concerned. I normally kept up with traffic until 75 mph. That was about my top speed. Now as I am back to ST tires I hold it below 70.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #98

Made in America ??
There are a lot of things "made" in America BUT where did the materials come from ? ....Most likely China.
I have a vehicle that was "Made in America" but look under the hood and you have items there from China, Taiwan, Korea, etc.
Many manufactures have materials shipped from over seas and then they put it all together here in the States...and then claim "Made in America".
LivingToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
What has been lost here is that it seems that most (but not all) of the China bomb tire issues are on the heavier TT's and 5'vers and not so much on smaller, lighter trailers.
Agree. As long as those smaller, lighter trailers, are not overloaded.

The factory is supplying a tire that meets the load requirements that the axles are rated for. My guess is that due to the extra space often available in the larger TT's and 5'vers people are packing them to the gills and exceeding the rated weights.

Of all the trailers out there on the road, how many would you guess have ever been across a scale while loaded for a trip? I wager that that number is less than 10%.

A pair of tires on my Micro-Lite are rated to carry more than the rated capacity of the axle they are mounted on when properly inflated. When I go across the scale the weight carried by the tires/axles is ~1,000# less than max. Why do people find it necessary to upsize their tires to levels that far exceed the axle capacities. Sure, more "reserve" in the tires but if they're overloaded to begin with that just means the failures will be in the axle/suspension rather than the tires.

How many pic's have we seen on various forums where springs have broken. Where there are huge "dents" in the frame above the axle in the frame.

Just like with tow vehicles, people need to size their trailers to what they plan on carrying. A vehicle scale is an essential tool. Maybe even to the point of having the dealer provide a "certified" scale weight slip before buying. Ideally with the trailer hooked up to your tow vehicle. Then do the math and see if it can carry all your "stuff".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #100

Also, about the fast pace in CA, their law states max 55 mph for all vehicles when towing, even motorcycles. But that is no doubt the most violated law in the USA.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer