Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Yes, and Yes as well.

Think of it this way...

When you are plugged into the campground power post, the Converter converts 120 volt AC to 13.7 volt DC to charge your battery and run the 12 volt items like lights and such.

When you remove the plug from the campground power you will still have your 12 volt items powered by the battery BUT the 120 volt AC items (like your outlet) will NOT have power UNLESS you have an INVERTER to invert the 12 volt Direct Current to alternating current (AC). In this case, UNPLUGGED from the post and everything in your camper will still work, including 120 volt items like the duplex outlets and TV.

This is a separate unit (in most installations) and is not normally included in the standard camper.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphillracer View Post
I lived with California know-it-alls like you for 9 1/2 years. Since I had a recent problem I spoke with a tech. The CONVERTER is to charge the battery. The INVERTER is to change the incoming voltage for use by all electrical devices. I have either one of each or one device that has both a CONVERTER and an INVERTER.
In reality, you can have both in one unit, although unusual. It's called an Inverter Charger. AND aren't we getting off the OP's track.

WooHoo

Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #23

Thanks. So by plugging in at the campsite (or my driveway) I get the AC power. That is now routed directly to and through the circuit board? That way I don't have/need an INVERTER? Is that a correct reading of your last site referral?
Thanks,
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks. So by plugging in at the campsite (or my driveway) I get the AC power. That is now routed directly to and through the circuit board? That way I don't have/need an INVERTER? Is that a correct reading of your last site referral?
Thanks,
Exactly. As long as shore power (or an AC generator) is available, you will never need an inverter. Your converter will power everything just fine.

INVERTERS require large capacity batteries and no hook ups to be useful and are not normally installed unless requested and you camp without "hook ups" regularly.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
Denver, CO

What happened to OP? It was 2 months ago... This probably should have gone into a new post.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Exactly. As long as shore power (or an AC generator) is available, you will never need an inverter. Your converter will power everything just fine.

INVERTERS require large capacity batteries and no hook ups to be useful and are not normally installed unless requested and you camp without "hook ups" regularly.
X@ Dat's the facts Jack...
Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #27

Thanks Herk and wmtire.
Apologies to bikendan.
I get it now.
I just wish I knew why those techs would have led me to believe I had an inverter.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks Herk and wmtire.
Apologies to bikendan.
I get it now.
I just wish I knew why those techs would have led me to believe I had an inverter.
Many people use the two terms (incorrectly) to describe the power center in their camper.

The power center has 3 sections. The shore power circuit protection ( main circuit breaker and the other AC circuit breakers); the DC fuse panel; and the converter/charger.

The converter gets its 120 volt power from a circuit breaker and converts it into 13.7 volt DC. That power gets sent to the battery for charging and the DC fuses to run your DC items.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Many people use the two terms (incorrectly) to describe the power center in their camper.
As Lou stated, it's common for people to misuse the terminology or confuse the two. Maybe this will help you understand them even better.

Actually you use a form of a converter all the time. Just think about anything you own that is battery powered (DC) like say a cellphone or laptop computer. If your cellphone came with a wall charger, then this wall charger with the big box on the end, is a converter per se. It is converting the AC electricity from the outlet into DC power to charge your phones battery.

A charger/converter like pictured below would have 120 volt AC input and 5 volt DC output (since most cellphones use 5 volt DC). There is usually a label on the box that tells you how much input/output there is.

Now you may also own an inverter for your vehicle. This inverter is what you would plug into your cigarette lighter/12 volt outlet and then you would insert a cord that plugs into a 120 volt household outlet into it. This inverter takes 12 volt DC power from the vehicle and inverts it to 120 volt AC power......like the different types of inverters pictured below.

These inverters would have 12 volt DC input and 120 volt AC output.

A RV's converter and/or inverter (if equipped) do the same things basically, but just on a much larger scale.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #30
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Thanks Herk and wmtire.
Apologies to bikendan.
I get it now.
no problem, i've seen people get the two terms mixed up all the time, mainly because converters are pretty much only in the RV world, while inverters are common in many different areas.
so, you're not alone with the confusion, you see it all the time on RV forums.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote