Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 04:55 AM   #1

No power from battery

Just brought home our 2017 flagstaff 832 OKBS. Took it out to our storage spot and no power to raise or lower the tongue jack. Everything I’ve been able to research indicates there is some battery disconnect switch. Where the hell is it on this trailer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
jwehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #2

You may not have a disconnect switch but you will have an inline resettable fuse near the tongue jack. Probably under the tongue. If you have a disconnect switch it will be fairly large and be labeled batt 1/batty 2/both/ on/off etc. Some are in the battery compartment. Some are inside near the entry door. Only two places I've heard of. You must not have one because somebody had to lower it on to your truck. Also, you need the battery to run your emergency brakes I would think.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:42 AM   #3

I sure hope there’s a battery disconnect switch there because I can’t think of any other reason why I have to be plugged into electrical power to operate anything.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwehrer View Post
I sure hope there’s a battery disconnect switch there because I can’t think of any other reason why I have to be plugged into electrical power to operate anything.
Read my post again. You may NOT have a disconnect and you DON'T need to be plugged in to operate Tounge jacks, slides, and levelers because they have independent IN_LINE fuses from the converter so you can Boondock.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #5

If you have to be plugged in for jacks to work your battery is disconnected or dead or maybe gone.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

This is the tongue jack right? They’re typically not wired direct to a disconnect unless the disconnect is right there at the battery.
More likely, it’s just an inline fuse. I kept blowing mine on my tongue jack the first season until I learned not to run the jack either all the way up or down. If you run it until it stops, that usually has blown the fuse. From the jack, trace the wires back to your battery box, most likely you’ll find an in-line fuse holder. Open that up and check the fuse. If it’s blown, replace.

If you’re stuck at the storage lot and don’t have a spare fuse on hand, there should have been an option for a manual override to crank it down.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Just brought home our 2017 flagstaff 832 OKBS. Took it out to our storage spot and no power to raise or lower the tongue jack. Everything I’ve been able to research indicates there is some battery disconnect switch. Where the hell is it on this trailer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Is this a new unit?
Did it ever work?

If new, the dealer should have explained the disconnect and had the battery charged.

If not, you will need to check for some of the things mentioned.
Do you have a multi-meter and know how to check for voltage at the jack switch?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
Site Team

If I read the OP correctly, this just came out of storage and you are not sure if you have a battery disconnect switch. From this I assume you did not turn off the switch before you stored it. If this is the case the battery is dead. That being said. you may be able to connect to the TV to get power or plug the TT into shore power. In either case, if the battery is toast, you will most likely trip/blow the resettable breaker or reverse polarity fuses in distribution panel. If you stored in a freezing climate, check the battery as it could have cracked. Try removing the battery and charging it with an automotive charger.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If I read the OP correctly, this just came out of storage and you are not sure if you have a battery disconnect switch. From this I assume you did not turn off the switch before you stored it. If this is the case the battery is dead. That being said. you may be able to connect to the TV to get power or plug the TT into shore power. In either case, if the battery is toast, you will most likely trip/blow the resettable breaker or reverse polarity fuses in distribution panel. If you stored in a freezing climate, check the battery as it could have cracked. Try removing the battery and charging it with an automotive charger.
Flybob, I'm reading (blue) they just brought it home (from dealer or wherever) and were in the process of taking it to the storage lot. (red)

Maybe the OP can clarify.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
Site Team

Another example of a lousy PDI from the dealer.
Very basic thing that should have been gone over.

The disconnect switch on new Rockwoods is along the A-frame, under the battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Did you find or look for the fuse under the frame yet? When it was put on your truck it was probably run to the stop and tripped the resettable fuse I told you about earlier.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #12

I have a 2016 832 IKBS the Battery disconnect is directly under the Propane tanks. It is mounted on the cross member there. The resetable breaker is in a metal box about 3 feet aft of the battery on the drivers side frame rail. You will need a #2 Phillips to open the box.

Attached is a picture to show what my disconnect looks like. The little black box in the lower part of the picture is the break away safety for the trailer, not the fuse for resetting the electric tongue jack.

Hope this helps.
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #13

Sorry did not load,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	171809  
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #14

Thank you all for the replies. I went home for lunch and sure enough there's a battery disconnect switch up underneath the propane tanks. It's amazing how much battery power you have once you turn that switch on. LOL

Very disappointed that they didn't point that out to me Saturday when we picked it up at the dealer. Again, thanks, one and all.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What a shame your dealer did such a poor job explaining things to you.

If they didn't show you something such as a disconnect switch, there will be other things too that you will question.

Come back as often as needed and we'll try to help out.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies. I went home for lunch and sure enough there's a battery disconnect switch up underneath the propane tanks. It's amazing how much battery power you have once you turn that switch on. LOL

Very disappointed that they didn't point that out to me Saturday when we picked it up at the dealer. Again, thanks, one and all.
Put some stop marks on the jack. If you run it up it stops by itself you will trip it again.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

If you cannot find a fuse in-line for the jack you may have one inside the jack motor housing. That is where mine is, the housing has to come apart to get to it.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Put some stop marks on the jack. If you run it up it stops by itself you will trip it again.

Was not the breaker, but rather the battery disconnect switch.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #19

Not the same TT, but our battery disconnect looks like this and is on the frame next to the battery. I believe the "key" (red thing) has to be in the housing to charge the battery from the tow vehicle. The key turns to the right to lock in, left to remove. When removed it might be hanging from a short wire nearby. There is a separate fuse for the tongue jack somewhere under the jack, but so far never had to look for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Switch.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	171830  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
This is the tongue jack right? They’re typically not wired direct to a disconnect unless the disconnect is right there at the battery.
More likely, it’s just an inline fuse. I kept blowing mine on my tongue jack the first season until I learned not to run the jack either all the way up or down. If you run it until it stops, that usually has blown the fuse. From the jack, trace the wires back to your battery box, most likely you’ll find an in-line fuse holder. Open that up and check the fuse. If it’s blown, replace.

If you’re stuck at the storage lot and don’t have a spare fuse on hand, there should have been an option for a manual override to crank it down.
Bingo. That hit the issue. Converter or no. Oh and the guy who asked if there was a battery, cause in our parts they darn near steal stuff while you're driving down the road.

Wow, and I eat my words. Never saw one not just wired direct to the battery with a line fuse.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power