Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

No power when connected to battery

I have a new battery in my Shamrock 21ss but cannot get any of the lights to come on. There is no spark when I touch the wire to the terminal either. I noticed that there is a small connector under the frame which looks like it might be a resister. The screws and terminal ends are very rusty too on it.. I have not thaken them off yet to see what they look like under the nuts. Could this be the problem? Could the converter be bad? Everything works when connected to house current.
Jeff

Jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think the first thing I would do is to take a voltmeter to check the charge on that battery. I assume that its both new and fully charged, but its a good idea to check.

Next start to work your way back. Are you certain that the battery is connected correctly? It happens more often than you think.

The box you are referring to under the frame is probably a breaker. See if it has a reset switch. You might need to replace it if its that bad.

Are there any other inline fuses (such as a 40 amp) close to the battery?

I would also look to see if the previous owner installed a battery disconnect switch. Its a common mod so you never know.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #3

Advanced Auto checked battery. It is good ( Ibought it there). I connected red to positive and white to neg. I even tried it the other way. I don't see a reset on the assumed breaker. It looks like a very small box where the two ends of the red wire connect. Each end sits on a threaded pole with a nut on them. They are very rusted on the outside. The wire then goews into an electrical gang box. Should I rule out something in the converter? I just sold this and teh guy is suppose to pick it up tomorrow. I want to make sure it is not a major repair for him.

Jeff
Jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

check voltage on each side of the circuit breaker .
if there is 12 volts on one side and not the other then suspect the circuit breaker .
if so keep working your way to the convertor .
there is also a fuse within the convertor from the battery .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #5

This is starting to sound like a common problem, there is what some call a circuit limiter box usually under the pin box or in a tt near the front close to the hitch, there should be a very small reset button on the side, Im betting that is your problem as it was mine
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlingerrv
This is starting to sound like a common problem, there is what some call a circuit limiter box usually under the pin box or in a tt near the front close to the hitch, there should be a very small reset button on the side, Im betting that is your problem as it was mine
Had the same issue and solution on our 2502s....
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Jeffa, the most common cause is battery wires get crossed and the resettable breaker/fuse along the tongue sets off.
there are numerous threads, about this issue, with pics of the breaker/fuse.
here's a link to a recent one:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...earchid=616191

it's between the battery and the front of the trailer. follow the wires along the tongue.

by the way, you have a hybrid/expandable and there is a section here for that type of trailer, with a Shamrock sub-section.
you posted in the regular TT and 5th wheel section.
also, the Roo hybrid is a twin of the Shamrock, so that sub-section can also have info for your Shamrock.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery