Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #31
Engineer of Crazy Train

1st, I think the OP is a one and done poster. He won't be back. 2nd, I like the option I am going. I got a Pace Edwards Tonneau with T-Slot, and I am going to put in a bike rack over my bed. (Sample Images Below)

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 09-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #32
Canadian Member

Here's my 2 cents. If the bumper has a sticker on it and you as the owner instruct the dealer to put the bike rack on it anyway, you assume some of the blame/liability. However, I would argue that the dealer should know better since they deal with trailers every day. They are the professionals and they knowingly modified the trailer and voided the customer's warranty. If they did so without warning the customer, then IMO,the dealer should be 75% liable and the owner 25% liable.

If the OP can get the dealer to compensate him for at least half the repair bill, I'd call it fair and a lesson learned.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

Old 09-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #33
Canadian Member

Here are a couple threads with options for bringing bikes without using the bumper mount that the OP did - and thousands of others are using it, too.

Bike rack

Bike Rack when towing TT
Old 09-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
All I can say is I hope y'all don't volunteer to man a suicide hot line......come on cut mtcyclist some slack. WOW !
sometimes the truth isn't what they want to hear, but it's what's best for their safety and others that share the same roads
Old 09-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #35

The negative posts on here about the Op are totally ridiculous and just show how inconsiderate some people are. Most people buying an RV would think that the bumper can support a fricking light weight bike, especially if the "dealer said so". If there was a sticker on the bumper the dealer may have removed it when they installed the rack. There was nothing noting this in his manual and there should be.

Anybody not familiar with light weight RV design would have the same frustrations and thoughts on this as the Op including these so called rv experts that continuously blast Ops that are frustrated and venting while looking for help. You can get your point across with out humiliating the Ops.

It is clear to me that the dealer is responsible and should fix this issue at their cost. There just does not seem to be any real customer service anymore.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Here's my 2 cents. If the bumper has a sticker on it and you as the owner instruct the dealer to put the bike rack on it anyway, you assume some of the blame/liability. However, I would argue that the dealer should know better since they deal with trailers every day. They are the professionals and they knowingly modified the trailer and voided the customer's warranty. If they did so without warning the customer, then IMO,the dealer should be 75% liable and the owner 25% liable.

If the OP can get the dealer to compensate him for at least half the repair bill, I'd call it fair and a lesson learned.
This is how one can respond, get the point across without humilating the Op.
Nice job Itat!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #37

Accessories mounted to bumper

Makes me wonder about the spare tire and BBQ on mine... It's factory, but the tire wobbles like crazy. My dealer told me "that's how they all are..." Not much he told me about my TT has been truth!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure there will be many folks inspect anything attached to their bumpers now! I may even pull out my sewer hose so I don't somehow void my warranty!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #38
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post

As much as every body is into using the internet, one should have researched the issue in the first place. Dealer should have said it is not allowed but now here is the catch. Money, They will sell you anything right or wrong. Old saying buyer be ware. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
Old 09-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Have to disagree, to some degree.
I spent 2 years researching RV forums before we bought our HTT. And I have seen tons of other people who are on RV forums also doing research.
I did the same before buying my truck.

Why not in this age of the Internet. I don't understand why people DON'T research expensive items, before they purchase it. So much info is available so you can make an intelligent choice.

But I'm not an impulse buyer.
Don't know where impulse comes in.How many "expensive items" can a person research on a TT or motorhome. Brake size/propane supply/awning hardware/plastic faucets/water filters/ roof material/axles on and on.Sorry sir but that stuff don't happen. Not by you or me. One would expect when looking at an "expensive item" he wouldn't have to research and nip pick every item on such.Oh and trucks. Far better warranty so when something goes wrong after 1 1 1/2 2 3 years they take care of it.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #40

And bottom line. If the dealer recommended the bike rack and installed it he is 100 % responsible. None of this 75% 25% or half crap.

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
Closed Thread