Old 01-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #1

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
olympian wave heater (where to mount)

Where should we mount (or place) an Olympian Wave 3 heater in a Flagsfaff M/L 23LB?

In our old camper it was mounted near the stove...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	9925  

Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #2

your floor plan is either the same or similar to mine - the only place that comes to mind to mount that would be to the right side of the Microwave.
Not sure how you would permantly mount the gas line unless you used the small propane bottles and disconnect the hose to it each time not in use.

the other idea would be to remove the heater that is installed under the sink but if it got too cold you would want both heather's IMO

Did you ever get the Heater Element for your A/C Unit?

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post

Did you ever get the Heater Element for your A/C Unit?
Thanks for the feedback -- We have not added the electric heater element to the AC unit. that is a smart and inexpensive solution.

WEST MARINE Portable Cabin Heater at West Marine

We use this heater when electricity is available.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Thanks for the feedback -- We have not added the electric heater element to the AC unit. that is a smart and inexpensive solution.

WEST MARINE Portable Cabin Heater at West Marine

We use this heater when electricity is available.
that heater u are using puts out around the same if not a little less then the heater element - someone told me the heater element puts out about 1500 to 1600 watts so it is compareable to what you are using.
I think I paid just under $50 from PPL in Texas - Might be worth a shot to upgrade then you will have both the heater element and the cabin heater when you have electricity and run the gas one when you dont.

i got a quick question for ya - if it drops below 50 degree's does your inside heater kick on by itself even when the thermostat is in the off position (far left side)?
a few weeks ago it was around 35 degrees or so and inside my camper the heater was set to the far left - it is a black thermostat on the wall just under the TV and when I put the battery power on the fan for the heater kicked on and never went off - wondering if you have ever experianced that. I had the gas turned off so I knew the fan would have just kept blowing cold air.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
a few weeks ago it was around 35 degrees or so and inside my camper the heater was set to the far left - it is a black thermostat on the wall just under the TV and when I put the battery power on the fan for the heater kicked on and never went off - wondering if you have ever experianced that. I had the gas turned off so I knew the fan would have just kept blowing cold air.
I've never had that happen -- when the t-stat is in the far left position, the heater is off.

I'm on my way out to the camper to do a little project and will check out the t-stat.

The temp is currently 31.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

Okay. I have the black Suburban thermostat - pretty sure it is the same as your thermostat. In the far left position - after a little friction, you can feel the slide click to the off position. My guess is your heater was turned down to low, but not turned completely off.

When I turned the t-stat switch to the lowest setting the heater immediately turned on.

The photo below shows my "work in progress" Olympian Wave heater install. I'll cut a 2" hole in the seat so we can fish the propane hose (used for the outside grill) into the seating area. I've got a short LPG hose with a quick connection fitting so it works great! Ran the heater for about 30 minutes and it did a nice job of taking the chill off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	9943  
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #7

Nice - I was reading info on that heater and it is kinda pricey but I bet well worth it if you camp in the colder climates then I do for now.

I will have to look at my thermostat - if I remember looking at it - it was in the far left position but may not have been clicked over like you said - I'll check it out and thanks for checking for me