Old 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
On the Road Again, Just Can't Wait

I know the "Purists" and rv park owners are not going to like my question.

Let's use this hypothetical situation:

You've got 1 week off for your vacation, and your destination is further away than you want to drive in 1 day. It'll take you about another 1/2 day to get there, so you need to overnight for about 6-8 hours to get a nap and rest up for the 2nd day of driving.

Where do you take your nap?

In a rest area(if allowed), truck stop, Walmart parking lot(where allowed), rv park(pay for a full night for 6 hours sleep)?

Will you pull your slides out? Put the stabs down? Unhook from your TV?

I will be experiencing this scenario in a few weeks. I've already got my trip planned and I'll tell what I'm doing after I see what some of you might do.

So, what say you?

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
I'd stay in the back of a truck stop.
Put the slides out have dinner.
Close it up after I wake up get breakfast and fuel, hit the road hard.

I might even call in sick to make up for the lost day........

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Site Team
Walmart if convenient and weather is not too hot. Lower front landing gear to steady the rig some. Walk around the store a few minutes then hit the sack. Next morning, Walmart coffee and pastry then hit the road.
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Surely someone else has had to do this. What did/would you do?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Walmarts are *usually* amenable to letting you stay overnight. There is a yahoo group for Walmart RVing that maintains a list of which walmarts you can/cannot stay at. No matter what- it's courteous to go in and ask (even when they allow it). I don't have a generator, so I'd be looking at a very small window for when I would be comfortable doing it. There are general guidelines that "the walmart overnighting community" suggest you follow - protect the asphalt as it can be easily damaged by stabilizers, no slides if they'll intrude on other parking spots and, as mentioned, always ask first. These seem to be hotly in debate whenever they're mentioned. Noise-wise, i would guess that it is hit or miss.

Some rest areas allow parking and rest for a few hours. I'd just try to be courteous to truck drivers as their stops are by law and that's their livelihood. But, I would also think that rest areas would be quite noisy.

Various other large retail establishments often times allow overnight parking- Home Depot, SAMs club, and even Cracker Barrels. As mentioned, lots of truck stops will allow you to park for the night, but that seems like it would be the loudest option of all.

Some folks will even stealth park on public streets if they're in van-like camping units. This gets dicier and isn't something I would entertain (not to mention - there is NOTHING stealthy about my setup ).

If you're traveling highways, often times there are campgrounds close to them that are relatively inexpensive ($35/night) and are convenient for folks traveling thru. Two that I've been to were level pull thru sites that we were able to stay hitched up.

Personally, I have no problem with the Walmart/legal rest area thing. We don't do it mostly due to weather and wanting A/C (and we don't have a handle on dry camping).
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Director, FROG
If we're just trying to get from here to there in a hurry, Cindy and I will often overnight at WalMart. We try to go to the edge of the lot, ideally where we can pull up to a curb on the left side of the RV. That way we can have the door toward the light and the security cameras, and extend the left bedroom slide so that we can walk around the foot of the bed. No feet down.

If you go onto a WalMart lot striped in yellow, look for an area striped in white, and vice versa. The "odd-colored" area is set aside as an area where RVs are permitted ot overnight.

We'll usually try to do some shopping there as a "thank you."

After the FROG Rally in August, we left about 7:00 on Wednesday evening for Colorado Springs. We drive until about 11:30, and ended up overnighting at the "WalMart Astoria" in Peru, IL; Kearney, NE; and Castle Rock, CO before getting to the campground on Saturday for the first leg of the Wild West Roundup, which started on Sunday.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew
careful putting the slides out at the truck stop. if you take up more than one spot, you may be asked to put them in. or, you can take the chance the driver backing into the next spot is good at what he does or even sees your slide deployed. not every rv'er is a smart rv'er and not every driver is a good driver. my 0.02
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
We use Walmart, truck stops or rest stops if they have truck parking lots.
We also have a couple of 12 volt "tent" fans to at least move the air which helps keep you cooler. We also find gems of camp grounds by just following signs on the interstates. We just got finished with a 10 week trip and never paid over $35.00 a night.
We only put the slides out at campgrounds, but we do leave our outside light on at night in rest stops and truck stops. We only put down the stanchions at camp grounds and will hook up to the electrical (air conditioning)and fresh water (shower).

Al and Deb
Sarge, Sugar and Ginger
2006 Silverado "Predator"
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is online now   Reply With Quote