Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #1

Opinions on Flagstaff 831FLSS Might Buy

My wife and I are looking at trading in our old RV for a 2009 Flagstaff 831FLSS. We had also looked at Cougar, but feel the Flagstaff is better quality. Can anyone tell me what they think of Flagstaff and our model if they have one. Any information would be wonderful.

Thanks

Mark
markcharice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #2

I can't tell you about the flagstaff but we love our Cherokee bunkhouse.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #3

We have the 29 foot with the kitchen forward, and been real happy with our flagstall.
Just returned from a month in the top of WY and SD, and had no problems other than putting or takingg the tailer down in the rain.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, i think we are going to go with the Flagstaff, my wife is scheduled to go and take it out tomorrow and see how it tows and also talk numbers.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #5

We have te Flagstaff V-lite 30 wrls, and LOVE it. The few problems that we have encountered have been very minor, and really are not Flagstaff's parts, anyway. We love all of the automatic and power features, and the V front makes it easier to pull. Also ours has 2 large slide outs, and the V area is a huge walk- in closet! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #6

My partner and I have been looking at this model to purchase for the last 2-3 model years. We can't find any other brand that has the floorplan of this one. We really like the picture windows in the front and bedroom. Also the new larger flatscreen tv. Just hope we can swing the credit soon.
targetlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #7

We Bought It

Its awesome and I agree, the floor plan is very nice. We like the privacy you get with the two doors on the bathroom that separate the the bedroom from the living room. We take her out on a maiden voyage this weekend to the Iowa State Fair. The camper just looks so nice, my wife and I sat in it last night in our driveway, and I am just in awe.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
ARLO

Flagstaff in general

We have a 2010 Flagstaff 829fkss and I am very close to ranking it as good as our Sunline. Our last trailer was a Holiday Rambler that was a nightmere. This new trailer is far and away better built. The furnace is quiet compared to most. The A/C cools very well. The air mattress bed is very comfortable. I would recommend taking the air mattress off when not in use. It stores easily in the drawer under the couch. We pinched ours on the first trip out and it leaked. Our dealer swapped it out for a new one, and no problems since. The outside compartments had only key locks. I did install additional thumb locks to make the compartments more accessible. We only use the key locks on the road. All summer, several trips, weekends and full weeks, friends staying in it while they visited and only two problems and very minor ones at at that. Two doors needed adjustment and we had some noisy propane hoses which the dealer replaced in about 5 minutes. It tows very well behind a 1/2 ton Ford super crew, 5.4, tow package. 38 years and 10 different trailers, only two came close, our 1995 Prowler and our 2000 Sunline 280SR.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #9

We bought a 2009 831fkbss and are extremly happy with the quality and workmanship. This is our second Forest River product and our 5th trailer overall. Some small issues with the new unit but you will find something with any new unit. In general, you really cant go wrong with Forest River products and if something does come up, you will find that their customer support is second to none! Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #10

Smile

Hi,
You have the exact tt my husband & I are thinking of purchasing, we just love the layout. We will be travelling full time and someone said I should be thinking 5th wheel and not travel trailer, any thoughts?
thanks Norma
Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Before you think 5th wheel, you have to think tow vehicle. Got a truck, what kind of hitch, and what kind of 5th wheel can the truck tow? pin (weight of a 5th wheel vs tongue weight of a trailer). 5th wheels generally hook up easier. They may of may not give more room. Most require climbing steps to get to the bedroom. 5th wheels are generally taller and may not go under some bridges and gas station canopies. Just a few thoughts, there are others.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

We have a Flagstaff 5th Wheel 8526RLWS and rented an Ultra-Lite 26 foot TT for a year before we bought our camper. IMO, the 5th wheel has WAY more room per foot of length towed.

No matter how much you love your husband, there is gonna come a time on a rainy day when your gonna want to be at one end and he on the other! LOL

The extra living space and "basement storage" just can't be beat. I also think the 5th wheel is easier to tow, especially in winds and heavy traffic. Just be aware that a 5th wheel tracks "inside" of the tow vehicle and the TT tracks "mostly" behind it. Thus if you miss something with the truck, you will most likely miss it with the TT.
If you miss it while towing a 5th wheel you need to be aware the 5th wheel camper is up to several feet (depending on turn angle) inside the turn and can strike what the truck missed.

I also think its easier to back, but your experience might differ. IMO, it IS slightly different than a TT but you will quickly pick it up.

Happy Camping!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Yea, DITTO on the height too. Its MUCH taller than the TT and the driver MUST keep the height in mind (including trees at campgrounds) at all times. While leaves etc might not cause a problem, a hidden branch could wipe your AC right off the roof!
My 8526RLWS 5'er is 12 foot high including the AC. Not a big problem normally, but I always look out for low drooping wires and tree branches.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #14

My wife and I purchased an831FLSS a few weks ago and LOVE it. The only downside is it is somewhat limited on outside storage, but I was amazed how much that can be stored under the bed from the outside with a little trial and error. We only got to camp once before winterizing it, but it was great.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcharice View Post
My wife and I are looking at trading in our old RV for a 2009 Flagstaff 831FLSS. We had also looked at Cougar, but feel the Flagstaff is better quality. Can anyone tell me what they think of Flagstaff and our model if they have one. Any information would be wonderful.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark; We own a 2010 Flagstaff and just love it. It pulls better than our old 2008 Skyline Weekender and it seems to be quality built. I just wish I could find a Apple iPod Nano Docking station for my iPod.

Steve
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
Gas Mans

We purchased a 2010 831FLSS in November and only got it out May 15th...We're former Motorhome owners so we find the "outside" storage very small....however our tow vehicle is a 2010 F150 4X4 witha 6.5 box and a cap. This seems to more than makes up for any concerns about hauling and storage. We're very pleased after three local trips (all 3 - 5 day weekenders). No longer trips until July and August of several hunfdred miles and for at least a week at at time...This trailer ahs much more interior room than a 32 ft motorhome with 2 slides. Not sure about the comment by mrstang as ours has satellite radio???
All the best.
Gas Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
Toy-aholic

We actually had a deposit on a Cougar and stopped in @ the Flagstaff dlr on our way home just to compare....whereupon we got our deposit back because we ordered a new Flagstaff 831KDSS (2011). Had it out 2x so far and LOVE it...the quality stands out for sure, especially when we compared it to the Cougar.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #18

I just bought a new Flagstaff 5th with bunks, have taken it out on 4 trips already and have had zero problems!! My only complaint was that wobbly dinette table but we switch the fold down legs for pedestal and that solved that problem
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
ARLO

FR quality

We own a flagstaff 829 fkss and absolutely love it. Our previous tr was a 29' Holiday Rambler Savoy and this Flagstaff is far and away a mush better camper. We have logged about 80 nights and 5000 miles on it with only a few minor problems which were corrected quickly by our dealer, FamilyRV in Palmyra/Newark, NY.. I would rate it right up there with the Sunline Solera we had several years ago. Great trailer...
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff