Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

Opinions wanted for a Flagstaff Micro 21FBRS

So, it has only been a single camping season since we bought our pup; but the DW and I are very much considering moving up so a TT. Under normal settings set up and tear down is fine; but in the rain we would like to be able to hitch and drive. The biggest driving factor is the "need" for storage and the want to be able to pack before we go.

We are looking very closely at the Micro Lite 21FBRS. Our TV has a GCVW of 12,000. I am confident that our truck will have no prob towing and still have some wiggle room.

My search for opinions is this: What options could you not live without and or wish you did or did not add.

Power tongue? Power Awning? Awning Slide Topper?

Thank you in advance!

Zambolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

Think your post might have ended up in the wrong section?

We traded up from a popup to a hybrid - more storage, can load/unload anytime without setting it up. As for packing in the rain - doesn't happen that often and we keep the trailer in the yard, so if the canvas is wet I just open the bunks when we get home. Takes about 2 minutes. Let it dry, fold it up the next day - takes maybe 10 minutes. Not a big to deal to me in exchange for the extra space we gain with the bunk ends. But we like the canvas - not everytbody does.

If you do upgrade, get the power tongue jack for sure. I like the power awning, and the slide topper is nice for keeping leaves and water off the slide. Otherwise you either have to clean it off before closing, or you get it caught on the seal or with water, it comes in under the seal when closing.

Last thing - the GCWR is almost always the last spec that you max out when towing. I would be checking the availble payload of the vehicle and comparing that the weight of fuel, gear and people in the tv, the tongue weight of the loaded trailer, and the weight of the hitch itself. That is the number that is most likely to be an issue on most tv's. Your tv may have a maximum amount of front surface area.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

We have the Rockwood MiniLite 2109S - twin to the MicroLite 21FBRS. We have had it for 2 years and are very satisfied with it. Ours came from the dealer with the stove, TV/entertainment system, power awning. We added the slide topper, power jack, and MaxxAir covers for both the bathroom Fantastic Fan and over-bed vent, as well as a 2-inch mattress topper and a 30-amp surge protecter. We have used everything and are very satisfied. Very few interior mods - added a 5 by 7 rug (no problem with the slide), fixed the over-the bed front curtain so it is attached to the window and not hanging over our faces, and a cover for the TV as the light at the bottom at night is brighter than we like. Am in the process of making a mod for the shower - a hanging soap/shampoo holder that will hang on Command hooks positioned for easy reach and a wash cloth hanger (2 button holes and Command hooks).

We find ourselves leaving more in the trailer for prep ease for each trip.

Your TV is probably excellent and maybe some overkill for towing this trailer.

Best wishes for your decision!
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Think your post might have ended up in the wrong section?
I will see if I can find a mod to move this to an appropriate sub heading. I suppose I should read closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Last thing - the GCWR is almost always the last spec that you max out when towing. I would be checking the availble payload of the vehicle and comparing that the weight of fuel, gear and people in the tv, the tongue weight of the loaded trailer, and the weight of the hitch itself. That is the number that is most likely to be an issue on most tv's. Your tv may have a maximum amount of front surface area.
Just when I think I have the code broke for determining what I can tow.... Thank you for the advice. I will double check my figures.

Thank you NanaKaren. It is hard to know what we'll wish we had added. I am sure all of it can be added after we purchase; but I would rather be camping than moding.
Zambolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

1. Power tongue without a doubt, 2. power awnings (inside roll-up if raining) next and then 3. slide topper. In that order
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

I would like to add my thanks to all the advice as well. I'm the wife. I think I will go take a look at Rockwood MiniLite 2109S if it is a twin to the one we are looking at. We are trying to check out different models. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

moved to correct sub-forum
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
want a Cat 293REX

We have a 2013 21fbrs with no power jack or awning and we do not find any problems. Good idea for the Maxx vents and we bought the insuladed cover for the window over the bed. Good idea for the curtain also. We love it!

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #9

I'm a light sleeper so we added day/night shades. It was much better than without, but still not enough. I cut pieces of foil light blocking material for each window.

We have an oven, but have never used it in this or any other RV we've owned.

Power jack is a must. Life is much simplified, especially in this rain. I would also recommend an Equal-I-Zer hitch. Max Air vent covers are not too expensive and will be appreciated when it rains and you've gone fishing with the vent open. The slide topper is also a great convenience. I wouldn't have another RV without one.

Good luck. This is a great unit for one or two people.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #10

I have the Mini Lite 2109S also. I do not have the power jack or power awning and like boatless, I have had no problems. I do a lot of boondocking and do not want to rely on electricity if I don't need to. One of the first things I added was the Perfect Harmony mattress topper. Makes the bed much more comfortable. I put Fantastic vent covers on both vents. As 00buck said, this is a nice unit for two people.

GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff