Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
Ordered TPMS + tire discussion on model 183

I always read the tire discussions. My intention was to put 5-6,000 miles on my Westlake ST 205-75-14 OEM tires before replacing them. Well I am there now. I looked them over this past week and they look in great shape.

Let me think out-loud here...

2014 Shamrock 183
Dry weight 3663 plus load up to 1053 total weight 4716# as spec'd on tag on trailer

CAT scale weight done with full camping load (no fresh water) and hooked to TV = 4300# so I figure I am well within the camper load specs.

Each tire is spec'd to handle 1760# X4 = 7,040# or about 2,000# MORE than my MAX trailer weight... so I figure I am good with stock load range C tires for MY trailer.

Now I figure that I could have a puncture or loss of air in a tire, or even a curb strike and run a tire low before knowing it and have something bad happen at freeway speeds.

So I started looking at TPMS systems. Reading up on threads that mention brands/problems, I focused in on the TST TPMS brand. I also read reviews on Amazon and etrailer (not much) on other brands. I came away with the opinion that the TST 507RV with flow thru-sensors and replaceable batteries in the sensors was the way to go. I then looked for a vendor.

I found this website, that I have never seen before. The price was the best I could find and the website inspired some confidence in me. PLUS the month of SEPTEMBER they give you 3 year warranty.

Great RV Products

I am now awaiting my shipment of the TST 507RV TPMS system, and I have decided to leave my OEM tires on another season (figure another 4,000 miles to FL and back this winter) before thinking about swapping them out for new tires.

I am hoping that the TPMS system gives me some peace of mind and saves me from some cataclysmic blowout on the road.

If my reasoning is NOT correct, for MY Shamrock model, my tires and my situation then please someone let me know!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Very intelligent reasoning.

I think you're OK to keep using those tires because you're using them so far under their max load. The reason I upgraded on the 5er was that the load margin was so low that I couldn't convince myself that the insults the road occasionally throws wouldn't eventually chip that margin away to less than nothing.

I had a Keystone TT with Chinese 'Nanco' brand LRC bias tires in almost the same situation as you. I ran those for 9 years (in hindsight, much longer than I should have) aside from using the spare to replace one lost to road hazard in the first year (the new Dunlop spare hung under the tongue for the next 8 years).

Just keep them aired up to 50psi and keep them covered when in storage (to minimize UV damage).

BTW: My TST507 came from the same place. Great guy to deal with and he did very reasonably priced shipping to Canada. Seems the 3-year warranty is a continuous special - I got the same in May 2014. I did have one of the sensors quit before the year was up... just after I had left for Florida after a snowstorm the previous day, the road salt/brine got past the 'O' ring and shorted the battery. Replaced the battery in Florida and cleaned up the contacts and its working fine again. Aside from the battery contacts, the entire guts are potted in a waterproof compound (I took the whole case off when cleaning it) so they should be good against most environmental contamination.

2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8282WS Platinum, GY Marathon LRD, TST 507RV TPMS
2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB D/A, Curt E16, Prodigy P2, Garmin RV760LMT w/BC-20 b/u cam

DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
My OE tires were rated more than ample to carry the load also, but I still elected to go with the next higher LR D for pure peace of mind and the ablility to be able to not worry about whether one tire or the other might be close to its max load. I just didn't/don't trust OE tires.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
I also find that the TPMS is a time and back saver... Usually, when getting ready to leave a campground, I'm doing the packing up outside while DW is packing up inside, doing the final dishes, etc. To check tire pressures, I just open the door of the truck and watch the TPMS for a cycle. I know exactly the difference between the TPMS readings and what my digital tire guage would say so I don't have to squat down 8 times or crawl under slides to do it.

It was the TPMS that alerted me (not with a warning, but just observation) to the screw I picked up in a TV rear tire while coming back from Michigan. The delta between the sides was within the realm of possible 'one side in the sun, other in the shade' when I checked in the morning but after being on the road for a few hours, that tire's pressure wasn't coming up like they normally do (ended the trip 3 psi below its axle mate). I evened them up in the garage and saw a 1psi per day drop relative to its axle mate and a soap test immediately located the FOD. 30 minutes and a free repair where I bought them... easy, peezy, lemon squeezy.

TPMS can turn a tire replacement into a repairable tire. Pretty good insurance.

Oh... was also useful in reminding me to adjust the pressure down when on last year's trip from -10F Canada to +90F Florida. Even though I had been adjusting every morning, the change was really extreme going from 25F Atlanta to 90F at the Florida border (obviously crossed the front). The high pressure alarm went off when the TV rear tire hit 89psi. Even on the road that was good information to have because I adjusted my speed down just a touch and the tire temp went back down below the warning.
2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8282WS Platinum, GY Marathon LRD, TST 507RV TPMS
2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB D/A, Curt E16, Prodigy P2, Garmin RV760LMT w/BC-20 b/u cam

DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
With a 2014 Shamrock, and well under the load of each tire, I think they should be good for couple of more years. The big limiting factor is time.........trailer tires should be replaced after about 6 years if the tread and sidewalls look good up till then.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
I was just checking into the 2017 Super Duty and it's features and the TPMS on the truck is also going to be connected to monitor you trailer tires. This could be a useful feature. Now we have to wait awhile for the truck to be available.

2012 Crusader 26RLD, 2000 F-350 4X4 7.3.
Hayes Autoformer, Correct track, Maxxis 8008E,
Andersen Aluminum hitch.
Jack350 is online now   Reply With Quote

tire, modifications