Old 04-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Question People towing with 3.5 eco-boost trucks

Would like to hear from the user's of these trucks who tow the 5th wheel light or ultra light trailers with them. Any mods you have done or problems with the trucks. An your option on how well they handle the trailers.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

Towed 10 k Rockwood in my signature. Did E tires on Truck and kept load light as I had King Ranch that killed some CCC. Stock otherwise. Did the job, would I tow in the Rockies, no way. Small hills OK no issues.

I was able to move up two model years on a F 250 with Powerstroke Diesel with minimal cash outlay.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
Sky&Scuba

I have a 2015 F-150 Lariat Screw 502a 3.5EB 3.55EL FX4

I would not ever tow a fifth wheel no matter how light they made it with a 1/2 ton. We own a 25KS and would not tow much more than that. Other wise after changing out the rear shocks to the Bilstein 5100's, Installing Air bags, replacing tires to the KO2's the truck tows pretty well. On another note I would not ever buy a 2015+ F150 again. I would rather keep the old steel trucks they were built much better.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #4

The 3.5 EB does a great job with the travel trailer in my sig. We've pulled to NC, StL, Yellowstone and various parks around Arkansas in the 15 months we've own the truck. It's handled all the terrain and weather just fine.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

We have a 2016 Rockwood 2703WS and a 2011 Ford EB. Haven't pulled it far yet but expect no issues. I did put on Airlift 5000's for stability.

Marty
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

I have a 2011 EB and pulled a 35 ft Eagle 31.5 FBH for 5 years and over 30,000 km we went to Disney 3 time, Tennisee, Pocono mountains etc with no problems or lack of power

I have upgraded tired to Michlin LT 10 ply and put airbags in the back to stiffen and reduce bounce. Very happy with EB.

Now looking at Deisel 1ton due to new 42 ft trailer, but may go to chev because hearing lots of bad things about both Ford Deisel engines
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Dr Travel

Ok, this seems like a topic that won't quit. We bought a Rockwood fiver model 8280WS. Dry weight comes in about 7800 lbs. Figure we added about 1500 to that, so thinking 9300 lbs total. (Will know soon - getting the whole shooting match weighed on April 29) Our truck is a 2014 ecoboost with heavy duty tow package (larger rad, tranny cooler, slide out mirrors, and sway bar), 6.5' bed and super crew cab. Also a 3.73 rear end (which is what you need to achieve the 11,300 tow capacity. The new ones have a 12,000 lb tow capacity because of a lighter truck.) We added half of a Timbren support on the rear axles to help a bit. Still have the other half - just did not want to be bouncing around when not towing. We are full-timers coming up on two years. We have towed this rig from Ohio to WV, Tennessee (Great Smoky Mountains), across to Colorado through the mountains, over to Utah, down to AZ, then up the California coast to Washington, on to Glacier National Park, across to Colorado again, over to Michigan, and now wintering in Florida. This summer we are hitting the Smokies again, the Catskills, Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. In 2017 we are going west again to Colorada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and on to Alaska. We'll winter in AZ after that trip.

This thing pulls like a champ. No problems in the mountains, no hesitation to pull when I want it to. Have passed many a motorhome going up those mountain highways. Have also been through the backroads in WV. Not that I would want to do that again, but we did it without a hitch. We get 10.5 while towing, and combined city/highway about 19 mpg.

We now have 50,000 miles on the truck, and I figure between 8,000 and 9,000 on the trailer. Unlike many, we got the right rig the first time, and the right truck to tow it with. Figure we'll get another 20,000 on the tires of the truck before requiring new ones. Zero problems on both the truck and the rig. Oil still running clean, although I change it every 5,000 miles despite Ford saying it is good for 10,000.

When not towing, the truck rides like a limo, which is the key reason we bought it. Only 9,000 on the trailer, but 50,000 on the truck. Wife can drive it easy-peasy. Neither of us wanted one of those big honking diesels - but I can understand those who do. We are small folks, so it all works well for us. Love our full size queen and all the room we have compared to our Airstream buds!

Hope that helps you a bit.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #8

I don't think the big Ecoboost will have any problems towing a 5th wheel. Staying within specs, of course. You wouldn't want to pull a 16K Cardinal with any truck rated for 11K.

I made this chart for myself just last month. All numbers come from Ford's own spec sheets. Similarly equipped and sized 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton, using Ford's specs, performs almost as well as a base 3/4 ton gasser ... and for a lot less money. The Ecoboost actually has more torque and just a little less HP.

My only (small) concern would be brakes. I would be more comfortable with larger 6 lug wheels and brakes. But I suppose an argument could be made that if the trailer has adequately sized brakes coupled with a good controller, they should handle the fiver and the trucks brakes only need to stop the TV.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Burlington Ont View Post
I have a 2011 EB and pulled a 35 ft Eagle 31.5 FBH for 5 years and over 30,000 km we went to Disney 3 time, Tennisee, Pocono mountains etc with no problems or lack of power

I have upgraded tired to Michlin LT 10 ply and put airbags in the back to stiffen and reduce bounce. Very happy with EB.

Now looking at Deisel 1ton due to new 42 ft trailer, but may go to chev because hearing lots of bad things about both Ford Deisel engines

Wondering? I have a 2015 Powerstroke no issues here at all.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #10

F150 EB

2011 F150 EB CC 4x4 LB #8200 package 3.73, HT w/brake controller 11,200, HPayload 2,393, and E tires. There are sure some nice 5rs with 1,200 to 1,500 pin loads weighing in at 10,000. My HT 5r tows a lot better than previous 30 ft. TT.

Tags
towing, truck