Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Pin Box on 2012 Flagstaff

I was wanting some info on my pin box that came with my 2012 Flagstaff rkws. It is a reece revolution. My question is I was looking under it and saw a bolt that looked like it is crooked right in the center of it. I have uploaded some pics. If anyone has any info what this bolt is for please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-18_10-00-38_372.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	5839   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-18_10-02-23_517.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	5840  

Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #2

No big deal on the crooked bolt. It just holds the plate in place. That plate is not doing anything there. If you want to use the Reese Revolution (Sidewinder) to the extent that it was intended for you need to remove both those bolts, as well as the 2 bigger bolts on the back end of the hitch. The plate that is held in by the first 2 bolts attaches to the lower flat section and tightens to hold the pin against the fifth wheel hitch to prevent it from rotating at that point. The new pivot point is now further back by about 20 inches or so, which will give you more turning radius and eliminating the need for a sliding hitch in a shorter bed truck. If I have confused you enough, have a look at this video to give you some idea of what I am talking about. I done this and I am pleased with the result. No worries about the camper coming in contact with the truck cab.

The hitch in this video is not exactly like your but will give you the idea.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

Pics of my setup.

These are pics of my setup. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00754-20110518-1320.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	5841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00755-20110518-1320.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	5842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00756-20110518-1321.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00757-20110518-1321.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	5844  
Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

I have been doing some research on my pin box and believe I need a special wedge that will work with my hitch. I have a pull-rite 16k super fifth. Maybe this is why the bolt is crooked on mine. Looks like it got in a bind and about pulled it out. That can't be too good on the threads the bolt is in.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #5

I think the wedge you are showing is just in a storage position. You have to relocate it to where I have mine. There are 2 ways it can be orientated depending on the fifth wheel hitch. Mine shows the short end forward. That part rests against the fifth wheel lock when your trailer is connected. Those bolts have to be torqued. There is a sheet of paper in your kit telling you the proper torque.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tking1866 View Post
I have been doing some research on my pin box and believe I need a special wedge that will work with my hitch. I have a pull-rite 16k super fifth. Maybe this is why the bolt is crooked on mine. Looks like it got in a bind and about pulled it out. That can't be too good on the threads the bolt is in.
It's a little hard to tell from your picture but I'm pretty sure your wedge is in the storage position and not in the "working" position. If so, then like RB said, you don't need to worry about the bolt. In this position, your 5th wheel will pivot at the hitch like a normal connection. If you want to move the pivot back to the pin box then you will need to install the wedge like RB showed you. You will also need to remove the two large bolts at the rear of the pin box to allow the revolution to pivot around the very large center bolt.

I have this same pin box on my Rockwood and it is working well for me. I did order a custom wedge for my hitch from e-trailer. I did this because I read where some people had trouble hitching up with the universal wedge installed. I have a Reese 16K hitch.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #7

tjdavisjr - have you traveled through the mountains of Arkansas (at Buffalo River) yet? My brother lives in Eureka Springs and I would have to travel through this area to get to him. I asked my brother what percent the grades are and he did not know.

I apologize for the off topic questions. I am also looking at the Reese Revolution when I buy a fiver.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
tjdavisjr - have you traveled through the mountains of Arkansas (at Buffalo River) yet? My brother lives in Eureka Springs and I would have to travel through this area to get to him. I asked my brother what percent the grades are and he did not know.

I apologize for the off topic questions. I am also looking at the Reese Revolution when I buy a fiver.
I've driven through the area many times but I don't know the percent of the grades. I've also never pulled my camper to Northwest AR but it's definitely in my plans. I normally travel Hwy 65 when going north to Branson, MO or I travel I-540 north if going to Fayetteville. I have also traveled Hwy 62 west across northern AR. It's definitely hilly but nothing really extreme. The roads are good and well maintained. I do know that I commonly see big trucks slow to 45 mph or slower on stretches of I-540 between I-40 and Fayetteville. I looked but I can't seem to find actual grade information.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. The main reason is I am looking at the same setup as yours. I have the 2011 Tundra DC already. My brother just went through that area, but did not see any grade info. Being a real flat-lander (I live outside of New Orleans) what may be hills to ya'll are mountains to me.

Now back to the topic. When looking at fivers I figured I would need the Reese Revolution for the Rockwood/Flagstaff models being the the fronts are straight across. There is a Wildcat model that I do not think I would need the RR being it has the concave corners. I do not want a sliding hitch, being I need my truck empty 95% of the time for work.