Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 02:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The weight of US dry gallon of water is defined as 9.71 pounds.
I haven't heard of anyone using the "dry" gallon in years. You realize that isn't commonly used right? Not sure there are many totes measured in dry gallons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_gallon

8.34#/gallon is the correct answer.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #42
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I haven't heard of anyone using the "dry" gallon in years. You realize that isn't commonly used right? Not sure there are many totes measured in dry gallons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_gallon

8.34#/gallon is the correct answer.
Quote:
The weight of US dry gallon of water is defined as 9.71 pounds.
Thanks for the link babock, I wasn't wondering what-the-frankfurter a "dry gallon" was.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #43
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks for the link babock, I wasn't wondering what-the-frankfurter a "dry gallon" was.
Still popular with the bushel and a peck crowd!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #44

Possible tote aid

If you are wanting to move forward with the tote, one solution to make it easier to move might be a garden cart like this one: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1806_200641806

I have had them for years. The large wheels makes it easy to transport all sorts of things. What you can do is stand it on end, load up the Camco Rhino and head up the hill. I currently have thee different ones. One is all aluminum and folds up so it is very compact ... but I still prefer the wood ones for hauling really heavy stuff or rock.
JKLines70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #45

I store my camper on my side yard. It’s about 60’ from the sewer cleanout at my house. It’s also uphill. I have a tote but it’s very difficult to move over the rock parking pad and grass in the yard. I bought the valterra sewer solution plus 50’ of extension hose to empty my tanks. It uses water from your hose as a macerator to dump your tanks up to 100’ and 3’ uphill. It works very well and is MUCH easier than using the tote. If you have water at your site I would really recommend going that route.

Valterra Kit with 10 Ft SS01 Complete SewerSolution System-10' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCYWJQK..._GSc.Db53YYPA9

Valterra SS25 Sewer Solution 25 Ft Extension Hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSO0E20..._JXc.Db8G4H9WW
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
This past summer I found dumping with the macerator a bit tedious (which I prefer to put away after each use). We have a 'private' campground (two & a half acres) in the mountains/forest where the septic is about 75 feet from where we park the Flagstaff. Been looking at one of those Camco Rhino poop tanks that has a good size wheel on it, that should roll over the somewhat rough terrain on the way to the septic.

What concerns me is the weight of this thing (when full) while I'm trying to get it to the septic. One thought I had was using a trailer dolly on the front of it making it a 'wagon' of sorts. Anyone try this.....or have better idea? Too many trees to use an ATV.
dieseldodge, I have a 35 gallon Thedford Tote Tank II (2 wheel version) and I do exactly what you are describing with the trailer dolly. I used some 2500# rope to fashion a short handle to loop over the trailer ball on the dolly. When you push down on the dolly handle, the leverage easily lifts the front of the tank off the ground and makes it easy to tow. In fact, at the campground, I usually tow the dolly and loaded tank with my mountain bicycle. The 8" plastic wheels roll easily on paved surfaces. For your situation, if the terrain is too rough to pull the 300# loaded tank over to the dump point with the thinner wheels, change out the 1/2" axle to 5/8" and get a couple of 10" pneumatic wheels from Harbor Freight (usually on sale for $3.99ea.) ................... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #47

I volunteer at a park and we have elk hunters who use game carts to carry out an entire elk carcass (500 pounds?) in one trip with a game cart. Available from Midway USA or other hunting retailers.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #48

I saw where a guy used one of those trailer hitch racks you get at Harbor Freight for $60 and a blue 50 gallon barrel that he lays down on the rack and fastens it with ratchet straps. He fills it next to his rig with the emaciater pump and then drives to the dump point to empty the barrel. This will only work of course if you have a tow vehicle with a trailer hitch.

Personally I would not want to deal with all that I would rent a trencher, lay some 1 inch pipe to the sewer location and bury the pipe.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #49
Hawksclaw554

Water weighs 8.33 lbs per gal. Multiply that times 40 gal and you are at 333lbs plus the weight of the tote. I couldn’t imagine pulling something like that uphill over rough terrain.
Hawksclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #50

If it was my property i would trench in a pvc waste line running downhill to an area next to your sewer dump and set in a pit next to it. Then an automatic macerater pump from the pit to the sewer line with a check valve going to the sewer line. If you can do most or all the work it would end up more camper friendly.
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #51

Appreciate the additional posts. The cart suggestions (game & garden) are worth consideration, but rather large pieces of equipment to keep around. As we all know poop only goes downhill 'naturally', that goes for filling totes or PVC lines. To go uphill with it you either need to manually move it or pump it. I started this thread because I was looking to perhaps figure out a way to quickly/easily do the manual thing.

Swampy's post gives me some confidence that a fairly small additional piece of equipment (trailer dolly) may get the job done without too much effort.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #52

If you happen to own an airplane here is something to move both, the plane and the poop tank.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...10.Wba9BjGHnoE

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #53

Quote:
I have the same exact one and can you tell it is hard enough to pull this thing on level pavement. Trying to get through 75 ft of trees and brush would be a pain in back amongst other places.

The front tires while they do hold air get stuck on any larger then a pebble.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4boating View Post
I store my camper on my side yard. It’s about 60’ from the sewer cleanout at my house. It’s also uphill. I have a tote but it’s very difficult to move over the rock parking pad and grass in the yard. I bought the valterra sewer solution plus 50’ of extension hose to empty my tanks. It uses water from your hose as a macerator to dump your tanks up to 100’ and 3’ uphill. It works very well and is MUCH easier than using the tote. If you have water at your site I would really recommend going that route.

Valterra Kit with 10 Ft SS01 Complete SewerSolution System-10' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCYWJQK..._GSc.Db53YYPA9

Valterra SS25 Sewer Solution 25 Ft Extension Hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSO0E20..._JXc.Db8G4H9WW
This is interesting. Thinking this may be a solution for my use while in home storage. However, most say it works but the reviews are ripe with stories of leaks, no one wants that!

Can you (or anyone) comment on the quality of fit and finish on this product?

Leaks?

Thanks, Benny

2017 Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature 8289WS
2005 F-250 Super Duty diesel
Pourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourme View Post
This is interesting. Thinking this may be a solution for my use while in home storage. However, most say it works but the reviews are ripe with stories of leaks, no one wants that!

Can you (or anyone) comment on the quality of fit and finish on this product?

Leaks?

Thanks, Benny
Maybe we’ve been lucky but we have not had leak issues and we have two 25’ sections connected to the main 10’ section, I especially like it because I don’t have a black tank flush built in to my camper. This system allows you to flush the tank when you finish dumping it. We also don’t always have strong water pressure and it still works great. We still use our tote periodically, but only when we are dry camping for extending trips since we leave the valterra system at home. Also I use a dedicated water hose for this. Highly recommend.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote