Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #1

Poop wagon

This past summer I found dumping with the macerator a bit tedious (which I prefer to put away after each use). We have a 'private' campground (two & a half acres) in the mountains/forest where the septic is about 75 feet from where we park the Flagstaff. Been looking at one of those Camco Rhino poop tanks that has a good size wheel on it, that should roll over the somewhat rough terrain on the way to the septic.

What concerns me is the weight of this thing (when full) while I'm trying to get it to the septic. One thought I had was using a trailer dolly on the front of it making it a 'wagon' of sorts. Anyone try this.....or have better idea? Too many trees to use an ATV.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #2

There are plenty of 4 wheel "tote" ootions out there. I'd choose one of those vs trying to modify a new 2 wheel tote. Is that what you meant by "wagon"?
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

We have the 40 gallon one on four wheels.

40 gallons is near #300. You might need help to move it if you fill it.

You know there are macerate pumps that use standard garden hose to transfer fluids!

At 75' I would look into one of those.

But, a tote is sort of handy in areas where there is no full service hookups, like state parks.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Team

Sounds like you're planning on towing it by hand. If you get a fairly large one it's going to weigh about 300lbs when full. I'm not sure I'd want to be trying to hand tow that much 75 ft over not smooth terrain. Even the 4-wheel one we have with pneumatic tires isn't easy to move by hand when full.

I'd reconsider the macerator or get a tote and build a large tired cart to haul it on. Large pneumatic tires would make it easier to move, but then you'll have to make sure it doesn't sit high enough to be a problem.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Always Learning

I cannot fathom a world where filling, moving, dumping, making multiple trips, and putting away a poop tote is less work or less tedious than using a macerator pump.

I have a 100g sewer bladder that I can empty all of my tanks at once.

Even with that, if I'm remotely close to the dump station, I just run a hose and macerate to it.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #6

I have a FloJet and use a 3/4 inch garden hose in case I ever need to use it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloJet.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	220161  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I cannot fathom a world where filling, moving, dumping, making multiple trips, and putting away a poop tote is less work or less tedious than using a macerator pump.

I have a 100g sewer bladder that I can empty all of my tanks at once.

Even with that, if I'm remotely close to the dump station, I just run a hose and macerate to it.
A huge +1 .

If I had a macerator pump and "septic" was that close there wouldn't even be a question.

Now if the 'septic' was somewhat downhill I'd consider just buying enough collapsible pump discharge hose (like firehose), buying a 3" to 2" adapter fro the dump fitting, and let the "stuff" flow downhill to the septic system. Dump, flush with some water, roll up hose, store under trailer til next dump day. That of course assumes that there would be some downhill slope.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #8

your not gonna move a 42 gal tote by hand unless it's on pavement.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

being a "private" campground can I assume you own it? if so, I would think it would be a lot easier to run 75' of pipe to relocate the septic closer.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
This past summer I found dumping with the macerator a bit tedious (which I prefer to put away after each use). We have a 'private' campground (two & a half acres) in the mountains/forest where the septic is about 75 feet from where we park the Flagstaff. Been looking at one of those Camco Rhino poop tanks that has a good size wheel on it, that should roll over the somewhat rough terrain on the way to the septic.

What concerns me is the weight of this thing (when full) while I'm trying to get it to the septic. One thought I had was using a trailer dolly on the front of it making it a 'wagon' of sorts. Anyone try this.....or have better idea? Too many trees to use an ATV.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Barker-42...SABEgIBlfD_BwE
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #11

Hooking up the macerator, running the garden hose over to the septic, doing the actual dump (takes a while), then undoing the macerator, rolling up the hose....at times seemed tedious.

When considering alternatives I ran across this Camco Rhino tank that has a large rear wheel on it (12 inches I think), but no wheels on the front. The thought of trying to move that by hand across rather rough terrain didn't sound very doable. But with a trailer dolly (or something similar) that has a 12 inch pneumatic tire on it, that would turn it into a 'wagon' of sorts with 12 inch tires all around. The tank apparently comes with a trailer ball 'hook'. The Barker tanks come with a nice tire on the back but small front wheels....would never work for what I'm looking at.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #12

We do own the property, but the septic is a bit higher than the Flagstaff. It (septic) was put in by the former owner. Why they put where they did is beyond us, but we bought anyway, so now we're trying to deal with the best way possible. Don't really care to have a 'permanent' sewer line of any kind, and everything has to go uphill a bit.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #13

Quote:
We do own the property, but the septic is a bit higher than the Flagstaff. It (septic) was put in by the former owner. Why they put where they did is beyond us, but we bought anyway, so now we're trying to deal with the best way possible. Don't really care to have a 'permanent' sewer line of any kind, and everything has to go uphill a bit.

Considering the price on some "Poop Wagons" aka 'Turd Totes', a residential sewage lift pump could be installed. It would catch what you dump like any dump station and a float controlled pump would then pump it uphill to the septic tank. It assumes of course that you have electricity at the site.

Here's what I'm referring to as an example:

https://www.pumpproducts.com/zoeller...SABEgJBn_D_BwE

End cost would depend on whether or not (or how much) you DIY.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #14

Depending on what "a bit higher" is, the Sewage Solution by Valtera may work at a reasonable price. You can hook it up using a 3/4" garden hose. Supposed to be able to pump 2-3 up hill, which is 2-3 above the level of the tank...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #15

I would be moving my camper 75 feet or renting a trencher and getting 8 sticks of 10 foot pipe and making a run to the sewer before messing with poop.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Hooking up the macerator, running the garden hose over to the septic, doing the actual dump (takes a while), then undoing the macerator, rolling up the hose....at times seemed tedious.

When considering alternatives I ran across this Camco Rhino tank that has a large rear wheel on it (12 inches I think), but no wheels on the front. The thought of trying to move that by hand across rather rough terrain didn't sound very doable. But with a trailer dolly (or something similar) that has a 12 inch pneumatic tire on it, that would turn it into a 'wagon' of sorts with 12 inch tires all around. The tank apparently comes with a trailer ball 'hook'. The Barker tanks come with a nice tire on the back but small front wheels....would never work for what I'm looking at.
Best of luck to ya. Please post back with how you feel the sewer tote is after a few uses.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #17

Having never used a 'poop tote' (or whatever you choose to call them), I'm a bit surprised at how resistant some seem to their use. Many use them, and I (again I've never used one) don't see how using one changes the bottom line....the handling of human waste.

The cost of the tank and a trailer dolly would set me back around $200 total (depending on the size tank I might pick). I could empty the black tank in one trip. That sounds pretty good to me. Just not sure if I'd have to modify the dolly in order to get it to pull the tote.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #18

Based on yours and other's banter here, I envision you pulling a full 30 gallon tote across rough terrain up hill. They are heavy and will slosh around if bounced around enough. That's where my ressistence / concern lies.

I'm happy to use mine when I can pull it 10 feet across level pavement or even level, solid grass to hook it up to the truck and then tow it where it needs to go.

Hooe that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Having never used a 'poop tote' (or whatever you choose to call them), I'm a bit surprised at how resistant some seem to their use. Many use them, and I (again I've never used one) don't see how using one changes the bottom line....the handling of human waste.

The cost of the tank and a trailer dolly would set me back around $200 total (depending on the size tank I might pick). I could empty the black tank in one trip. That sounds pretty good to me. Just not sure if I'd have to modify the dolly in order to get it to pull the tote.
These tanks come in all sizes. A small one that's easy to handle and can be lifted into a pickup truck bed to haul to a distant dump station are too small to fully empty even a single tank on most trailers/MH's. That can make for some interesting sessions with the slide valve. Opening a 3" valve lets a lot of "crap" flow and you can suddenly go from "almost full" to "overflowing" before you can react and close the valve.

So to prevent that one often gets a larger tank. Now you have a tank you can't lift into the pickup bed unless you can convince some fellow campers to help you.

Still can't see how using a macerator and hose is too much trouble considering the amount of trouble involved with a portable tank.

I think the OP has a real surprise in their future. I hope they don't sell the macerator pump and hose.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #20

https://www.campingworld.com/trailer...yABEgJp_vD_BwE