Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Power awning flexes in the wind - problem?

I note that the power awning on my RV (see picture in signature below) flexes once the breeze comes up. It is likely due to the "rain dump" feature.

Anyone have any problems with this flexing? I have since retracted it since I am not under it presently. I know I can probably stake it down to the ground and have a [more] rigid structure. Any comments on that also?

I must admit it was somewhat "unsettling" when I saw my awning "kneeling" (for want of a better word) when the wind whipped up a bit. This is my first power awning, and the old manual one had the more robust V-shaped braces back to the RV.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #2

Do a quick search for awning tie downs, and enjoy the read. It's a common problem, unfortunately, with power awnings. Several users on here, including myself, have either bought or made tie down structures for these awnings. If you try to tie it down without a supporting pole, you can easily end up ripping the structure off the side of the camper.
So I see it as two choices; leave it up only in beautiful calm dry weather, or fashion (or purchase) a pole support and tie down system and leave it out.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2131514198.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	38933

Yep...gonna need a setup something like this to ease your mind

Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

I would definately go with tie downs as shown previously. I have seen where the wind took peoples awning and flipped it right up over the roof. I have the manual awning (stronger) and I still roll it up if the wind comes up much.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Attachment 38933

Yep...gonna need a setup something like this to ease your mind
Thanks to all who responded. I guess no one had problems just letting the awning arms "flex" in the breeze.

Cajun - where did you get the poles? Was it part of an awning support kit or something you put together? And with the poles and tie-downs in place is the awning fully immobilized?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Thanks to all who responded. I guess no one had problems just letting the awning arms "flex" in the breeze.

Cajun - where did you get the poles? Was it part of an awning support kit or something you put together? And with the poles and tie-downs in place is the awning fully immobilized?
If you continue to let them flex as you call it, you will end up with something broken. The tie down poles eliminate that problem. Do a search on Power Awning tie down poles.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #7

Old Coot - thanks for the response.

Just to let you know I do have awning tie down cords and screw type stakes. What I want to know is who makes the poles and/or an all inclusive kit. If you can answer that question directly I would be appreciative. If you can't then no worries.

I did do a search and in the 5 seconds I had to peruse the results it would seem that the answer is inconclusive. I did note that you featured in a lot of posts on this subject, almost leading me to believe that you may be putting the poles together ...?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Old Coot - thanks for the response.

Just to let you know I do have awning tie down cords and screw type stakes. What I want to know is who makes the poles and/or an all inclusive kit. If you can answer that question directly I would be appreciative. If you can't then no worries.

I did do a search and in the 5 seconds I had to peruse the results it would seem that the answer is inconclusive. I did note that you featured in a lot of posts on this subject, almost leading me to believe that you may be putting the poles together ...?
Do a search or telescoping aluminium poles & you'll find a number of products you can slightly mod to be able to use as your awning poles.
A lot of users here had their poles fabricated especially for this purpose by someone who does this type of metal fabrication.

You'll also find forum members here who make their's out of sch 40 PVC...a lot of different options for poles.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

Cajun - thanks for the reply which I take to mean that they are not sold ready-made (which was really my question all along ).

I was looking to buy because I have no time to make up a set. I travel a lot and when I am back in town I am busy either taking care of other business or going camping. It is worth it to me to buy something if it exists on the market.

Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Cajun - thanks for the reply which I take to mean that they are not sold ready-made (which was really my question all along ).

I was looking to buy because I have no time to make up a set. I travel a lot and when I am back in town I am busy either taking care of other business or going camping. It is worth it to me to buy something if it exists on the market.

Thanks again.
Old coot used to make them and may have one left? Turbs is making some. Find the old thread and pm turbs. Nothing commercially available yet, but I'm not sure why.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #11

Now we are getting warm. Thanks for the tip, JT.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Always Learning

As was indicated before- there is no commercial product such as these. Simply tying down a power awning isn't sufficient as the arms need support help themselves. They're just not strong enough to take a whole lot of wind.

OldCoot first made up a set of "Power Awning Tie Down Poles", but stopped making them a short time ago. A few of us were lucky enough to buy a set of his originals. From there, ]f1100Turbo started making a kit with Old Coot's design as the basis with a handful of changes to the design. If you send him a PM (I've linked to his profile- go there and you can choose to send him a PM), I'm sure he'll hook you up with a set.

Most people install the poles so that they're always mounted to the camper. With my OldCoot poles, I installed the mounting bracket to the pole and simply mount the poles when I want them out. I'd really like to find a place to paint them up (I look like a "slow" monkey with 2 left hands when I try to paint things!) before I permanently mount them.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
NELA

tonight's weather here in Pigeon Forge has made up my mind about those poles....beautiful weather all week, left the park this evening for one more run down the parkway before leaving in the AM....big wind and lightning came up, and with the weekend visitors suddenly the parkways was an 8 mile parking lot.

I was a nervous wreck trying to get back here to the RV park because we'd left the awning out.

Yep I'll be contacting Turbs for a set on Monday.

thankfully all is well and we'd set one end lower to dump the rain, and some wonderful person had brought our flag in and stored it under the awning.

BTW, *huge* classic car rally here next weekend....hundreds have already arrived.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
tonight's weather here in Pigeon Forge has made up my mind about those poles....beautiful weather all week, left the park this evening for one more run down the parkway before leaving in the AM....big wind and lightning came up, and with the weekend visitors suddenly the parkways was an 8 mile parking lot.

I was a nervous wreck trying to get back here to the RV park because we'd left the awning out.

Yep I'll be contacting Turbs for a set on Monday.

thankfully all is well and we'd set one end lower to dump the rain, and some wonderful person had brought our flag in and stored it under the awning.

BTW, *huge* classic car rally here next weekend....hundreds have already arrived.
We've had small windy isolated t-storms daily this weekend...my neighbors are constantly opening & closing their awnings around storm events as my awning pole setup stays put...gotta love this mod! ,)

Tags
awning, power