Old 06-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Power conversions for Air Conditioner

Hi

I have the micro lite 25bhs with 15000 btu Coleman AC. As you already know, it works on 110v 60Hz.

The power sources where I live is 220v 50Hz, I've been using a step down transformer to drop the voltage down to 110v and it is placed between the generator and the TT, however the frequency is still 50Hz which reduces the efficiency of the AC. It takes ages to cool down the TT at night. During the day, it's not cooling at all.

Some facts:
Temperatures during the day (summer): 112 degrees rarely would reach 122.
Temperatures during the night (summer): 95-100 degrees

With that being said, the temperature difference between the IN and OUT air from the AC is about 19 degrees which should be good, I don't want to risk damaging the AC compressor or the fan though.

My options are as follows:

1- use a 110v generator.

Pros: eliminate the need of transformer, no risk of damaging the compressor or fan and AC should be working/cooling more effectively. This is the preferred option to me.
Cons: possibly I will need to purchase another generator (around $1100) as the dealer refused to trade in mine with the 110v version nor sell me the electronics to convert mine to 110v 60Hz.

2- install additional AC unit.

Pros: more effective cooling.
Cons: $$$ will have to buy the AC ($1100) I'll also need to buy bigger generator as the current one won't be sufficient ($3500) Honda silent 7Kv generator. Total of ($4600). Same issue of running 60Hz ACs on 50Hz power supply would still exist in this case.

3- Swap the current AC compressor and fan from the local market with 220v 50Hz compressor and fan from house AC unit and use a step up transformer before the AC to bring the electricity from 110v back to 220v.

Pros: AC will be powered properly (220v 50Hz) no modification or swap of the generator.
Cons: A lot of unknowns. Whether the whole project is doable or not. I don't know what are the draw backs from:
Generator (220v 50Hz) ---> Transformer (110v 50Hz) ---> TT ---> Transformer (220v 50Hz) ---> AC (220v 50Hz)

So, what are you thoughts and suggestions?

Has anyone really experienced the difference between running a 60Hz AC on 50Hz and the tested it on 60Hz and saw the difference?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Flutooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Head Rambler

You've already got a transformer, have you thought about a frequency converter?

You should be able to buy the control board for the generator on the open market to convert yours to 120V/60Hz.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

Many generators (Non-Inverter) just rely on engine speed for frequency control. Most run at 3000 rpm for 50Hz and 3600 for 60 Hz. Possibly all you have to do is adjust the governor up to 3600 RPM. Check with a good generator shop. Forget an RV dealer.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #4

The frequency converter for my the 3kva is going to be as big as the generator itself and weighs around 160lb. Unless there is something out there I am not aware of.

As for the generator type, mine is an inverter generator, RPM varies based on load.

Iíve spoken again with the generator dealer and I ďthinkĒ he agreed on a trade in for $760. I think he agreed because I barely can understand the salesmanís accent, Iíll have to take the generator and meet him.
Flutooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutooth View Post
The frequency converter for my the 3kva is going to be as big as the generator itself and weighs around 160lb. Unless there is something out there I am not aware of.

As for the generator type, mine is an inverter generator, RPM varies based on load.

Iíve spoken again with the generator dealer and I ďthinkĒ he agreed on a trade in for $760. I think he agreed because I barely can understand the salesmanís accent, Iíll have to take the generator and meet him.
Wow, you got your hands full with this one. Good luck.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, power