Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #51

when i plug or unplug rv i make sure breakers on pedestal is turned off.the convertor powers up and multiple dc circuits power up. the zapping sound is a arc trying to make contact.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #52

Backin15, the manufacturer you are referring to, is it Marinco? And what is their contact info?

My plug is not as bad as yours but is is headed toward that slippery slope!

Just bought a new power cord for $79!
Bought my Vlite May of last year!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #53

It is indeed Marinco and with the great customer service they provide I highly recommend their products. I emailed the factory using their contact form at Contact Us | Marinco and the response I received was from AMNPA.technical@marinco.com.
Good luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #54

Thanks! We'll see!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #55

UPDATE

After swapping emails with Marinco, it was determined that my power cord was a Conntek cord, not Marinco. I called Conntek last Tuesday and talked to them about my overheating problem. They said they would send me a new cord and I am to return my original cord to them to send to their manufacturer. Received the new one today! I'll put a light coat of Noalox on the blades of the cord, blades of the surge protector, and also on the receptacle on my trailer.

We'll see what happens!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #56

About a week ago I did recieve a care package from Marinco containing a new 35' cord and receptical. Thanks, Marinco!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #57

I saw on another website(don't remember which) that for 10 gauge 30amp cords to keep to 25' or less. Anything longer than that needs 8 gauge. I will keep a close eye on my amp usage, especially if I use my extention.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #58

This won't be a popular opinion, however as long as we continue to attemp to operate this electrical wiring and fittings "to the max" the failures will continue. You wouldn't operate your car to a constant 340 rated horsepower, nor should you expect to draw 30 amps through this equipment for weeks or even hours on end.

My industry was regulated by the USCG, UL, NEC, NFPA and others for electrical use. When we designed/installed electrical systems or operated them afterwards the objective was to operate a max of 75-80% of installed capacity. Drawings had to be submitted to prove this and other required rule details. The rule was all feeders and circuit breakers must be sized to 125% of equipment full load capacity leaving slack for starting loads and short term faults. This rule is common and universal at least in the US, probably Canada.

The circuit breaker and cable funished in RV's is rated for 30 amps, we all tend to draw close to that. If we stayed in the rating of 24 full load amps it would allow for reserve and no more burned connectors and hot cords. Circuit breakers age and normally trip late not early.

Sounds terrible but true, verify? look up sizing cables and circuit breakers in your browser, won't take long to find.

Best solution I read so far is use both the 20 amp and 30 amp breakers on the pole. Other good news is the equipment nameplates are usually rated to max load drawn. They don't normally draw as much as the max.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #59

VinceU is exactly correct. Circuits should not be operated beyond 80% of rated load. Also circuit breakers do not instantly trip at 30 amps. They have both thermal and magnetic trip curves. The magnetic portion is for faults where the current may be thousands of amps and the breaker should trip instantaneously. The thermal portion is for overload conditions and they will trip faster as the overload increases. The loads in an RV routinely can exceed the rating of the cord and other components including the breaker in the pedestal. It's not like your home where load diversity prevents tripping of the main breaker even though adding all of the breaker capacities per phase in the load center will result in a value much higher than the main. To make a long story short, the posters with melted cords ends could have been operating at significantly more than 30 amps and still not tripped the pedestal or other supply circuit breaker.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #60

This thread got me to wondering , we've been camping for three days with the A/C running almost continuosly. Had my 30 amp breaker pop once when I had the microwave running. Decided to check my cord and it was not hot at all. Life is good in New Braunsfel, TX.