Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Power Front Jack

Hello ,
Anyone have any issues with the power front tongue jack as on the 831 RLBSS TT.
Mine appears to have failed, my batteries were dead and I had to move the trailer, I was able to crank manually it up enuff to get it on the ball but when I tried to raise it more to get the sway bars on it just quit... in the manual mode no will not raise, nor lower, useing the manual handle that Forest River provides and it just turns...?

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Nope, no problems here.

Sounds like the gears might have stripped inside.

Charge up the battery and see if it still works.

If it doesn't and it still under warranty, give your dealer a call...

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Update on my power tongue jack on our 831RLBSS, the dealer ordered us a replacement for the factory installed API 3500 lb capacity unit and upon picking it up I noted that the new one was a Atwood,MPD 87083 model rated at 2500 lbs! So I ask why and the service manager tells me that the API units are junk and they have had a lot of problems with them and that the Atwood is far superior unit despite the stated capacity of 2500 lbs. He said if I insisted on a 3500 unit I would get what I had originally, but insisted the Atwood would work we are gonna find out I guess.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Site Team
Hopefully your dealer knows what he's talking about.
Atwood has been around a long time.
We hope they make good stuff!

I realize that a higher rated jack should be heavier duty but
remember you're not raising the whole trailer so 2500 is
still way over the weight of the tongue.

Good luck and thanks for the followup!
Camp On!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Mine went last summer. I ad just put the TT on to the TV. I was raising the jack when the shaft snapped. The leg just dropped to the ground. I was lucky that the trailer was on the hitch. If it had happened sooner the front of the trailer would have dropped to the ground. I could have been hurt if this had happened. The next problem would have been how to raise the trailer. I could not get the TT off the TV until I replaced the jack. I purchased a new one at Camper World. The new jack seems to be stronger then the jack that FR had on the trailer. They are both 3500# jacks. I wanted the 3500# jack because when putting on the WD hitch I an lifting both the TT and TV.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
We have the 26RLSS and had problems with our jack from the day we got it. And a couple of weeks ago it just died. We had to use a jack that we had just to get it on the truck. And then remove the jack per the service mans instructions. Just to get it to the shop to get it replaced.
ldmcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
We have a 831FKBSS and also had fornt power jack problems. FR sent a replacement jack after the original went south after 3 months. The replacement lasted only 4 months and it also died (they were both Mfg. by Lippert). After contacting FR, they gave me the OK to replace it with any jack of my choice, I opted for a Barker 3000 which I had on 2 previous TTs and never had a problem with it. Upon removal of the Lippert, I sent it to the FR factory and they sent me a check for $150, their cost of the jack. I also had to send them a copy of my reciept for the Barker jack (which cost $250) but I know that it will give me many years of reliable service. Good Luck!

2008 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad cab LB 2500 Cummins 6.7L TD / 2013 Columbus 320rs. Camped 50 days in 2015. RIP Angel the camping Cat, we will miss you.
Don and Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote