Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #1

Problems with my Flagstaff Super Lite 27 RLWS

Well the problems with this Flagstaff have started, and although I am loath to take it to the dealer I am afraid l have no other choice. Besides its under warranty. Newer had any issues with my previous Jayco's stove or radio though it had no slide.

- #1 Slide (dinette) stopped working just before a camping trip. Luckily there is a crank.
- Oven had a problem staying lit since day 1. Has a dumb soft popping sound as the burner (or pilot?) tries to stay alight.
- Right rear burner is default to light using the ignitor. Sometimes have to use a butane lighter.
- Radio decided to stop finding any stations at all. Antenna was slightly bent at the tip but the base was fine on the roof. Worked last camping trip and the only thing since then was the Camping World installation of a Fantastic Vent ceiling fan 6 inches away from the ceiling light that would have been tapped for power, and 3-4 ft away from the antenna. Hardly think the antenna cable would have been damaged.

l am pleased with the Fantastic Vent though.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

The slide not working is a bigger problem and will need to return to the dealer.

The oven is a common problem. Not sure how you are lighting the pilot but you have to hold the knob in for what seems like a long time to let the thermal coupler warm up enough to keep gas flowing.

The radio antenna probably unplugged from the back of the unit. This may have been from the tech fishing the power line but more likely was not plugged in good and solid and came out while driving down the road.

Don't let it upset you too much, just shake them out now so you can enjoy the summer.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
The slide not working is a bigger problem and will need to return to the dealer.

The oven is a common problem. Not sure how you are lighting the pilot but you have to hold the knob in for what seems like a long time to let the thermal coupler warm up enough to keep gas flowing.

The radio antenna probably unplugged from the back of the unit. This may have been from the tech fishing the power line but more likely was not plugged in good and solid and came out while driving down the road.

Don't let it upset you too much, just shake them out now so you can enjoy the summer.
What He said! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The slide not operating is probably just a blown fuse...have you looked in the 12V fuse panel or near the battery?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I was suspecting the antenna since the problem was with getting reception on any band on the radio. I could pull the head unit to see what happened but figured since it was gong in anyway I'd leave it to the dealer. I have some time before breaking camp in the morning and may investigate further.

As for the oven - yes my wife lights the pilot correctly, and is quite the expert at it. The pilot light works as long as the temp is not turned up for actual oven use, then the problem occurs. Yes I am aware that it is a common problem - something about the thermocouple possibly not being close enough to the pilot light, seemed to be a common diagnosis. Pretty dumb quality issue if you ask me. Maybe Atwood makes a better stove /oven than the Suburban because I had no problems with the Atwood in my previous RV.

Just a little ticked at the moment given what I spent for this RV and it has only seen 4 months of camping. The slide was only deployed maybe 8 times?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
The slide not operating is probably just a blown fuse...have you looked in the 12V fuse panel or near the battery?

Dave
Thanks Dave. Looked at the fuses and breakers in the Control Panel and all seems fine. Should not be a fuse near the battery as all other systems work, including my other 2 slides.

The way the side failed was like this - DW was retracting it and it was coming in normally and when it contacted the trailer side there was no clutch slipping noise as is normal. It just stopped with no clutch noise (we only allow 2 - 3 clicks). Wanting to ensure that the seal was tight I told DW to move the slide out at bit then bring it back in, which was done successfully, again with no clutch noise. After that the motor stopped responding to the switch. No sound no nothing - dead. l will look at the fuses again in the morning just to be sure.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #7

Hope your punch list gets solved. I do not see any big issues after the stove and slide. I worked out of a 21' Sunline for years, electrician on nuclear powerhouses across the states. Best thing I learned? There is no perfect TT. I just bought a new 21FRBS Micro Lite and for me its near perfect. Forest River uses very good products, BUT people install them and there lays the problems. The first 3-4 outings are shake downs to have construction problems occur. Have your dealer earn his money and you have some wonderful outings.
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #8

With my battery disconnect switch off that slide is the only thing that will still work. That tells me it is one of the fuses under the trailer at the hot water heater.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1956 View Post
With my battery disconnect switch off that slide is the only thing that will still work. That tells me it is one of the fuses under the trailer at the hot water heater.
You maybe on to something. In my WH compartment there is the Control module for the slide out, and AAMOF l looked there first to see if there was a fuse or some sort of reset switch. There was nothing obvious and if you look at the attached photos, there seems to be some indication that if a button was pressed the LEDs would flash allowing a diagnosis of the problem. Don't know if the tiny white disk is the button to be pressed. Since I will be breaking camp soon I will press the disk.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

May be mistaken but I think that is the controller for the wardrobe slide.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

That is the controller for the wardrobe slide. I was talking about under the trailer front right corner Mine has three fuses there.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
You maybe on to something. In my WH compartment there is the Control module for the slide out, and AAMOF l looked there first to see if there was a fuse or some sort of reset switch. There was nothing obvious and if you look at the attached photos, there seems to be some indication that if a button was pressed the LEDs would flash allowing a diagnosis of the problem. Don't know if the tiny white disk is the button to be pressed. Since I will be breaking camp soon I will press the disk.
The controller you're showing is for a Schwintek slide...the wardrobe and the sofa/kitchen slides on your camper are Schwintek slides. The dinette slide is an electric, through the frame slide which should have a inline fuse or resettable circuit breaker in the power feed for it.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4srn View Post
May be mistaken but I think that is the controller for the wardrobe slide.
Could have sworn that it was for the 'odd' dinette slide. l stand corrected following Dave's and your posts.

This is all academic now, though - see my next post.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #14

Thanks to cat1956 and Dave the problem is solved - DW sends hugs to you both!

Cat1956 - Your second post, which I had not seen in time for the fix, was right on the money. There are 3 x 30A fuses on the street side arm of at A-frame (maybe for all 3 slides) one of which was blown. Once replaced the slide worked again.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:

Cat1956 - Your second post, which I had not seen in time for the fix, was right on the money. There are 3 x 30A fuses on the street side arm of at A-frame (maybe for all 3 slides) one of which was blown. Once replaced the slide worked again.
Strange (perhaps not) that those three are outside....
Glad you got it worked out.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Strange (perhaps not) that those three are outside....
Glad you got it worked out.
Thanks. I guess they are outside because they are powered even when the battery disconnect switch is in the 'off' position, and they are fist downstream of the battery but
outside of the enclosed underbelly for easy access.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #17

With regard to the stereo reception issues, my 27RLWS get lousy radio reception. When I turn on the interior lights, the problem gets worse. I contacted Flggstaff and they said that the LED lights were causing interference with the radio. They have new LED lights available to fix this problem. I tried hooking up an aftermarket amplified antenna to see if it was an antenna issue, and the problem remains. Seems like it is an issue with the receiver.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #18

Quote:

One of the fuses located beneath the tonque is for the power stabalizers, not sure about the other 2 because I have not had to change them, although I suspect 1 of them is for the tonque jack
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #19

I have a 29 BHKD and the first trip out I had same issue. (Fuse blew bringing the slide in, as soon as I should have heard the ratcheting. This was what I was told to make sure the slide was all the way in.) Took forever to locate the fuse and replace it. After first trip I brought back to dealer to clean up our write ups. They took the 30 amp in-line fuse off and replaced it with a 30 amp circuit breaker. It will trip occasionally but resets and I'm back working again.
OspreyFE45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
One of the fuses located beneath the tonque is for the power stabalizers, not sure about the other 2 because I have not had to change them, although I suspect 1 of them is for the tonque jack
The fuses for my power stabilizers is in the fuse box inside the trailer. You may be right that one is for the tongue jack as there is no fuse for that iside the fuse box. If the 3rd one is not for the other 2 slides then l don't know what they are supposed to protect.

Tags
flagstaff