Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #1

propane supply hoses

We bought a flagstaff in Jan/07. The automatic changeover regulator on the propane system quit working. We had the dealer replace it. They stated there were some problems with that type and put on a manual change over type like we had on a previous trailer. When installing it they found that the primary tank hose was not working (no flow) and installed a new hose. Problem solved, that and new regulator. Now when preparing for a trip I found neither hose, primary or secondary will emit enough gas to change the red/green indicator on regulator. Stove will get enough fuel to burn very low flame on high setting. I've been getting propane at reliable dealer and never had problems before. Wondering if hoses from tanks to regulators are faulty? Tank hose from primary tank to regulator has very small orfice. Tank hose from secondary tank has larger orfice but goes to pressure reducer which is leaking also. Anyone have these kind of problems?
Darrell Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #2

never heard of anything like that before

dumb question but........ Are you sure your tanks are full?
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #3

YOUR QUOTE>>>. Wondering if hoses from tanks to regulators are faulty? Tank hose from primary tank to regulator has very small orfice. Tank hose from secondary tank has larger orfice but goes to pressure reducer which is leaking also. Anyone have these kind of problems?[/QUOTE]

we had this problem on our very old trailer. the hoses for some reason were "deformed" and wouldnt allow enough propane thru them to do anything worth while. we replaced the fittings from the tank to the regulator and the problem was solved. but this was a 80's trailer.......
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
RAC

Did you bleed the air off the tank after they filled it? Air will restrict flow and will make all the symproms you have appear. There is a screw on the side of the valve which you can back off and let hiss until you smell the gass. Then see if in fact you have a pure propane flow.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #5

Had my regulator changed a couple months ago. Would not switch over to full tank. Everything now ok!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Could be that your problem has nothing to do with the hoses or regulator. Modern valve assemblies are equipped with a flow limiting device. Without going into long explanations, try this:

1) Turn off the gas by closing the valve(s) on the tank(s).
2) Wait 5 minutes.
3) Turn the gas back on by turning the valve slowly. Slowly is the operant word.

Good chance that everything will now work.

PS The same thing applies to any gas appliance operating off of other than a disposable cylinder.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #7

I have a 2007 Palamino Throughbread 5er, with some of the same problems. It has a Fairview Automatic changeover Regulator. The gauge will not stay green, Any time gas is used it will change to red, stop the gas flow and you can manualy change it back to green. Start the gas flow and it will turn red again. My maine concern was, is the regulator changing over to the other tank every time it turns red. These tanks should have been full from the dealer, but I didn't know. I took the tanks out and took them to the propane dealer. The maine tank was down only 9lbs. and the other tank was only a 1/2lbs down, so my Maine concern was unfounded.
I called Fairview Controls and talked to gentilman there, and he very carefully explaned to me how the automatic changeover worked (da). I told him what I had done, and what my maine concern was. He then explaned that when the tank got empty that the pressure would drop (da) and the gauge would change to red and then change over to the other tank. I won't boaer you with the rest of the conversation. Not much good having the red/Green gauge if it doesn't work properly. I don't think it's a supply problem. The stove is the farthest away seems to have good pressure and a good flame.

2001 Dodge Ram
2007 Palomino Thoroughbred F-829RKS
Kids all grown, 4 Grandkids to SPOIL
gaspumplgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips. opening the valve slowly seems right, don't know why the techs at rv repair don't know this but it has never occured to them.
Darrell Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Downing View Post
Thanks for the tips. opening the valve slowly seems right, don't know why the techs at rv repair don't know this but it has never occured to them.

It does make you wonder how many so called techs are as ignorant about other things they "fix" on your RV. I don't remember exactly, but it seems to me these new valves were introduced about five or six years ago, maybe longer.

Everybody else, please read my earlier post on this thread. It contains information that might save you a bunch of frustration.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
It does make you wonder how many so called techs are as ignorant about other things they "fix" on your RV. I don't remember exactly, but it seems to me these new valves were introduced about five or six years ago, maybe longer.

Everybody else, please read my earlier post on this thread. It contains information that might save you a bunch of frustration.
Would you and could you please direct us to that thread??

Thanks,

Paul B
2004 Twin 2000i Hondas'
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
RAC

this thread.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to DonB
on our 08 GTSS, the hoses both became blocked. Dealer replaced them. I did have to prove to them by removing them and blowing with compressed air (100psi). No passage. Im not currently impressed with my service dept, but am giving them benefit of doubt,,, for now.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #13

It seems I have two blocked hoses also. We tried to use a compression and it didn't seem that much of the air was coming through either of them. How much pressure should should be enough to allow the valve in the hose (I believe there is one) to open?

The tanks are full and I am able to run my BBQ from the tanks.
We changed the regulator and no change, that is when we started looking at the supply hoses. I haven't tried changing them yet but we get no flow when using an air compressor set to around 70 psi.
bobofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #14

I had blocked hoses last year. Hoses from tank to regulator were changed and all was well. Thank you Camping World, Syracuse, NY, for the fix.
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff