Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Quality & Brand of Tires on 2012 V-Lites

Does anyone know the brand of tires that comes on the new 2012 Flagstaff V-Lites? Are they a good and durable tire?
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
Does anyone know the brand of tires that comes on the new 2012 Flagstaff V-Lites? Are they a good and durable tire?

Duro brand from China. They will last if you watch the tire pressure often. May feel they are bad tires but I have themon my 5th wheel 205/75R15 and maintain them at 55psi cold and so far I have over 12,200 miles on mine and I have had my trailer since July 2010. I figure if they show any wear I wlll replace them. I also counted the trip from Elkhart to Phoenix when it was delivered. I have another 5,000 between now and the end of July 2012.
I'm sure others will give you some suggestions but use your V-Lite and check the pressures before, during and after your trip (COLD) and they will last a long time.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

Iggy,
They are not Duro's this year, some other made in China brand (Roadstar or something) but I cannot rememberfor sure. Was at an RV show last nite looking at the new ones.

Also I agree with Iggy, we have Duro's on our trailer and it has made a 6000km trip to Ontario 2 years ago and last year we went from Saskatchewan through, Montana, wyoming, South Dakota and North Dakota. I have a temp gun and check the tire at every gas stop and even in 100+ temps they all stayed within a couple degrees. I also check pressures once a day as well. The tires are still perfect although we are thinking of replacing them before we head out to Indiana this summer.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney
My 2012 V-Lite left the factory in early Nov 2011 and came with "Trail Express Power Towing" tires. All I've done so far is towed it home and winterized so I don't have an answer for your second question.
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #5

That is not too encouraging to hear. I have heard nothing but terrible things about the Trail Express tires. Anyone else have comments about the Trail Express? Anyone out there have pros or cons on these tires? Are they something I will want to replace ASAP for fear of blowout, therefore trailer damage.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I ran the factory tire on-----------

I ran the factory tire on my 8285WS until I has just 3000 miles on them. They are "C" rated tires, I felt the "C" rated tires were not heavy duty enough for the RV. I replaced the Chinese tires with GOOD YEAR MARATHONS "D" rated tires. Do I fell better with the GOOD YEAR TIRES that are also made in China, Yes I do! I feel they are made to the GOOD YEAR SPECS and have a warranty I can deal with.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

Part of the deal was, I want 5 Goodyear tires and I got them. Trying to deal with Duro was, well that is the reason this RV is on Goodyear's.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
That is not too encouraging to hear. I have heard nothing but terrible things about the Trail Express tires. Anyone else have comments about the Trail Express? Anyone out there have pros or cons on these tires? Are they something I will want to replace ASAP for fear of blowout, therefore trailer damage.
pbrackney - just my two cents here - my 2012 29rk was delivered with Trail Express ST 235/80R16 tires - Load Range E and with almost 2000 miles on them are looking good. They were Nitrogen filled from the factory (but don't get me started on that subject). Ditto on checking for proper tire pressure.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #9

B-47- that is good to hear. Sounds like the Trail Express tires are holding up okay as long as you keep your eye on the pressure. How often have you had to fill with air? Do you see any difference with Nitrogen compared to air?
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
B-47- that is good to hear. Sounds like the Trail Express tires are holding up okay as long as you keep your eye on the pressure. How often have you had to fill with air? Do you see any difference with Nitrogen compared to air?
P - remember that I do not have that many miles on them yet. We plan on going on a round trip to Upstate NY from Fort Worth later this month and I figure that should be a true test of their quality - I will let you know my experience if you contact ne when we get back.

I had a flat on one and have not yet had to add air to it. The other three needed a top off of about 5-10 lbs.

As far as Nitrogen filled versus non Nitrogen filled - there is a thread started by me on here that you should read when deciding if the Nitrogen thing is worthwhile or just a gimmick. A lot of good posts about this from various people.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #11

I had a Duro with tread separation on the way to Myrtle Beach. I was there for two weeks. I called Duro in Georgia. Do you think they would ship me a tire, no they had to have a picture. So when I got home they got their picture and before we went on the road again the RV had Goodyear’s on it. When we made the deal for the new one at the RV show in Cleveland Ohio in January of 2011 after we had the boxes checked for the way we wanted it built, I said one more thing. I don’t want tires from China or India; I want Goodyear’s just like what I’m trading in. I figured they would say we would give them to me at cost if you’ll pay for them. Nope, they just said ok.

So play hardball, get up and walk out if you have too. There aren’t many people buying with gas kissing $4 a gallon and diesel even higher.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #12

I have the trail Express Power Touring on my 2011 30ft VLite. I have not had any problems land have about 3k miles on the trailer. I recently ordered a 5th rim for the spare to get rid of the white steel wheels and the guy I was working with at Discount Tire indicated that the Trail Express has been known to have problems, he ordered a Carlisle and said that is about all they use for trailers. For what it is worth!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #13

Tires on 2012 V-Lite

We bought our 2012 V Lite at the end of December and took our maiden voyage in March, April, and May. They have over 6,000 miles on them and overall they have done well. We picked up a nail in one of the tires in east Texas, and had it repaired. Since that time, that tire has had a very slow leak. We carry a small electric air compresser with us and it was used on various stops to keep this tire's pressure the same as the other tires. The other three tires had no problems, even though they were driven through desert, multiple mountain ranges and through a variety of weather. We don't know if the seal is not perfect or if the tire isn't sealed to the wheel properly, but that is the only problem we have had so far.
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #14

So just asking what would be wrong with putting load range E truck tires on my TT is there any draw backs besides price?
dieseltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #15

The only negative thAt I have heard is that ST tires are made so that I'd your trailer sits awhile the tires will still be okay but with LT tires they are more likely to crack or warp. Just what I have heard. I have no personal experience myself. If you are a full timer I think the LT tired would be fine. However if you store your over the winter then it may not be wise to do.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE44460
I had a Duro with tread separation on the way to Myrtle Beach. I was there for two weeks. I called Duro in Georgia. Do you think they would ship me a tire, no they had to have a picture. So when I got home they got their picture and before we went on the road again the RV had Goodyear’s on it. When we made the deal for the new one at the RV show in Cleveland Ohio in January of 2011 after we had the boxes checked for the way we wanted it built, I said one more thing. I don’t want tires from China or India; I want Goodyear’s just like what I’m trading in. I figured they would say we would give them to me at cost if you’ll pay for them. Nope, they just said ok.

So play hardball, get up and walk out if you have too. There aren’t many people buying with gas kissing $4 a gallon and diesel even higher.
FYI..Goodyear trailer tires are no longer made in the USA. They were for a brief time bu have since been made overseas again.
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote