Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Quality of Flagstaff 5th wheel

Thinking of buying a 2015 26ft to 30 ft Flagstaff 5th Wheel. I'm not worried about the price just the over quality of them. Thanks
airplane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
ARLO

We have a 2010 829fkss tt built at the same plant and are quite happy with it. We had one major problem with and very few minor ones. Our floor became spongy in several places. They checked it out at the Goshen rally in 2012 (trailer was technically out of warranty) and decided to get it back to the factory for a complete new floor. Apparently in 2010 there were some issues with the laminated floors so they stopped buying them from outside suppliers and built a new lamination plant to insure better quality control. We would definitely look another Flagstaff before buying something else.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane66 View Post
Thinking of buying a 2015 26ft to 30 ft Flagstaff 5th Wheel. I'm not worried about the price just the over quality of them. Thanks
Anything in particular? Overall quality is fine.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

We purchased a 2013 Flagstaff 5th wheel and I have to say we couldn't be happier. Pulls good, tracks straight and no problems after approx. 3000 miles. Hope you enjoy your like we have.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
carolina fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

We are looking at a 2015 Flagstaff,28 IKWS Fifth Wheel and would be towing it with a 2011 Silverado LT, crew cab, short bed, with HD Trailer package, towing 9,500 lbs. the dealer is offering a Reese tow system...my question is will this work with my short bed and will I have any problems? I am currently towing a 23 ft Surveyor Sport.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Hello I tow a 2015 8528rkws behind a 2010 F150 5-1/2 foot box. She does come pretty close to the cab in tight turns but the reese revolution pin box works awesome. Just have to be careful.
wallysvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

I have had no major issues with my trailer to date. A few minor things like cabinet latches and screen door not closing very good.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #8

I appreciate you reply and will do some more research. It seems that FR cabinets have the same problems. I have replaced the hinge screws with longer screws and used some super glue on the threads. Helped pretty well on my Surveyor.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsails View Post
We are looking at a 2015 Flagstaff,28 IKWS Fifth Wheel and would be towing it with a 2011 Silverado LT, crew cab, short bed, with HD Trailer package, towing 9,500 lbs. the dealer is offering a Reese tow system...my question is will this work with my short bed and will I have any problems? I am currently towing a 23 ft Surveyor Sport.

I would check out the pin weight vs your truck load capacity. The 1500 pounds of pin weight could be on the heavy side for a Chev 1500. The other specs could work out.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

I added a extra leaf spring to take bounce out of suspension.
Did not affect ride much without trailer. My trailer pin weight is 1098 lbs
Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #11

I was told to subs tract 1000 lbs from the trailer. Is that the pin weight? I also have read that you take 20% of the trailer weight which would be about 1600 lbs. I am not totally confused, but close. This camper may be too borderline for my truck.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
I was told to subs tract 1000 lbs from the trailer. Is that the pin weight? I also have read that you take 20% of the trailer weight which would be about 1600 lbs. I am not totally confused, but close. This camper may be too borderline for my truck.

You can usually best guess pin weights by using the dry weights and extrapolating from there. You find the percentage that is the dry pin wright (dry weight divided by dry hitch weight) increase it by 2% or 3% for fifth wheels and then multiply that against what your expected camper weight will be.

Here's a tool that helps you calculate it:
http://www.towingplanner.com/Estimat...nWeightFromDry
Old 01-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have a 2011 8528BHSS and quite satisfied. It is my first 5r and full timing, but we love every day of it. I have about 50k miles in 4+ years in it, pulling it with a 2008 5.7 Tundra TRD (4 wheel disk brakes) @ 9-10mpg. Minor issues like horizontal cabinets that did not come with securing latches and opening during transit. And, not finding it until the slider comes out with the door (new hinge & screws fixed it). My floor also got spongy but I just floated a hardwood floor over the high traffic area (easy thing). To have a house that you live in and the ability to take it and see anything in North or South America is dreamy. My first excitable experience (as a nubie) was stopping for gas coming out of a CG near OK in the morning. I noticed my antenna hanging off the side of the RV. OMG! I don't know how, but I must of broke it. Now the DW and I have an agreement that I will take care of the outside and she's got the inside and with this being and outside thingy well, needless to say the RV was new, I didn't have a ladder, and the gas pump was getting all dented up with me banging my head against it. A now new "RV friend" walked over and said "I see the wife forgot to align the antenna when she lowered it". All I could muster up was "Yea you just gotta love them". I guess some stories are best told around the campfire, but we still look forward to what tomorrow will bring. O yea, The best thing I bought for the 5r was JB strong arms "hands down".
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
Mountain Lovers

We have had 3 Flagstaff 5th wheels and loved each and every one of them..No major issues and would buy another one in a heartbeat. We currently have an 8528RSWS 31 ft. and really love the floorplan....They are a great camper for the money and size.
Fordcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:

Ensure the dealer is offering the Reese Revolution and installs the wedge behind the king pin on the trailer correctly. The first part of this video demonstrates the Evolution hitch.

You will really like the floor plan of the 5th wheel. Love ours and have had zero problems. Have had it for 12 months.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #16

I have a 2012 Rockwood 8281SS for two years now. No issues. I am using the Reese Revolution with a 5.5 foot bed and it works great. The camper has been great and pulling is a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, flagstaff, quality, wheel