Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Quality Problems with Flagstaff Classic Ultra lite 832IKBS

Thought I would post some of the quality problems we have had with our Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite, model 832 IKBS. I am posting these to help others with the same trailer or similar Flagstaff units so they can keep an eye out for any of these issues. One of the issues is related to build quality; the other problems are supplier components.

Electrical Problem: while making coffee one morning the electrical breaker inside the trailer popped, after resetting it found we had no power coming into the trailer. The problem was finally tracked down to a loose wire on the inside of the trailer were the external power comes in. The wire actually shorted out so the tech had to add a short piece of wire to correct the problem.

The following problems have not been corrected yet, so I do not have a solution for what is wrong, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oven: the oven will not stay on when set below 400 degrees, works fine above that.

Water Heater: the propane heater will not light, you can hear the clicking of it trying to light but no flame. The electrical side works fine.

Tank Regulator: the regulator between the propane tanks will not automatically switch to the other tank when it is empty.

The dealership we bought the trailer from has been working with us to correct these issues, since we donít have a way of pulling the trailer to them right now they have arranged to have a local rv repair tech fix the remaining issues. We paid for the local tech to fix the shorted out wire, sent the dealership the bill and they refunded us. They are also having the same tech fix the other issues and will pay him directly. I was glad to see the dealership stood behind their products but I had to talk to the sales manager to get this done. I did talk to Forest Riverís warranty department regarding the electrical short, while they were also willing to reimburse me for the repair they were much stricter on what could be done and how much they would pay.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonseattle View Post
Thought I would post some of the quality problems we have had with our Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite, model 832 IKBS. I am posting these to help others with the same trailer or similar Flagstaff units so they can keep an eye out for any of these issues. One of the issues is related to build quality; the other problems are supplier components.

Electrical Problem: while making coffee one morning the electrical breaker inside the trailer popped, after resetting it found we had no power coming into the trailer. The problem was finally tracked down to a loose wire on the inside of the trailer were the external power comes in. The wire actually shorted out so the tech had to add a short piece of wire to correct the problem.

The following problems have not been corrected yet, so I do not have a solution for what is wrong, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oven: the oven will not stay on when set below 400 degrees, works fine above that.

Water Heater: the propane heater will not light, you can hear the clicking of it trying to light but no flame. The electrical side works fine.

Tank Regulator: the regulator between the propane tanks will not automatically switch to the other tank when it is empty.

The dealership we bought the trailer from has been working with us to correct these issues, since we don’t have a way of pulling the trailer to them right now they have arranged to have a local rv repair tech fix the remaining issues. We paid for the local tech to fix the shorted out wire, sent the dealership the bill and they refunded us. They are also having the same tech fix the other issues and will pay him directly. I was glad to see the dealership stood behind their products but I had to talk to the sales manager to get this done. I did talk to Forest River’s warranty department regarding the electrical short, while they were also willing to reimburse me for the repair they were much stricter on what could be done and how much they would pay.
Good to know.
With that being said...
Forest river doesn't make the water heater the oven or the propane regulator.
The only quality issue is see is the botched wiring job that caused a short.

Turbs

Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your QC issues. Hope you get them all resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. Just a thougth for the LP regulator - try turning both valves off, wait a couple minutes, and turn them back on SLOWELY. Then try the LP side on your water heater again too.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Plain Old Member

Sounds like stove and water heater are related, along with the auto switch over regulator. Possibility anyway. No gas, then no stove or gas water heater. One thing we've always done when we were in trailers is purge lines first by lighting all three burners on the stove top. Then usually the oven would work fine, and the water heater, fridge (on gas) and furnace as well. Not sure on yours, but usually the water heater will attempt to light a few times (assuming dsi), then throw a light or an error if not successful. You have to turn it back off, then on again (gas) and it'll try again. With the exception of the wire, you're problems are extremely minor and easy to fix. They happen on all makes and models. Try manually swapping regulator to the other tank (if it's full), get most of the air out of the lines by running the surface burners on the stove, then try the other components. Try the furnace and fridge (on gas) as well. On the oven, realize that the oven burner will turn on and off to maintain correct temp. Lower the temp, and the burner will shut off until need be. Just a thought. Not sure of your experience level on RV's, so just throwing it all out there. If those were the only problems I had ever had, I'd be turning back flips.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonseattle View Post
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just to make sure (and start with the simple stuff), you do have both tanks open at the same time? The reason I ask, is that it's happened to other campers who forgot to open both tanks, thus the changeover valve couldn't work.

I've even read in other forums where new owners were incorrectly instructed in their walk-thrus at the dealers, to only open one tank at a time.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote