Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Ques. moving dinette table....

Your all probably tired of me by now. Guess I am just super excited about new camper. My question is, I would like to move my free standing dining table so that it is up against the wall instead of out away from wall 6". The way it is makes it impossible to walk threw camper when slide is in. If table was moved out against wall it would allow me to squeeze through when slide is in. It''s a flagstaff 2017, 524rlws. Can I just remove screws in table going into floor and move the table and put screws back in. Not sure of floor construction and hoping its a solid core throughout. Then I was thinking a couple of aluminum brackets attached to the aluminum window frame to give it stability. I'm a machinist so I can custom make brackets to fit. Thx for any info. Feel like I'm wearing out this forum, Sorry!!!
2015 F150 , 5.0 , 3:55 axle
mikdor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #2

Understand your excitement! Expecting our 832 BHIKWS in 4-5 weeks. It's coming with the table and chairs option. Would love to hear what you come up with and how it works out for access. Best of luck!
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #3

I have a new 372rd on order due in in 4-5 and am equally excited. The wood sub floor should provided solid screwing no matter where you go. would watch screw length to avoid water gas lines wiring etc. id stay away from window frames. think twice measure twice. once the screw goes in matching the hole is way bigger a problem
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikdor1 View Post
Your all probably tired of me by now. Guess I am just super excited about new camper. My question is, I would like to move my free standing dining table so that it is up against the wall instead of out away from wall 6". The way it is makes it impossible to walk threw camper when slide is in. If table was moved out against wall it would allow me to squeeze through when slide is in. It''s a flagstaff 2017, 524rlws. Can I just remove screws in table going into floor and move the table and put screws back in. Not sure of floor construction and hoping its a solid core throughout. Then I was thinking a couple of aluminum brackets attached to the aluminum window frame to give it stability. I'm a machinist so I can custom make brackets to fit. Thx for any info. Feel like I'm wearing out this forum, Sorry!!!
Do you have the 2 chairs and a booth seat along the wall? Since they have gone to a 5/8 T&G plywood floor in the Rockwood &Flagstaff the answer is "YES" you can unscrew the table and move it over 6"" but the people along the booth wall will Now have to Squeeze through! Youroo!!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I have a new 372rd on order due in in 4-5 and am equally excited. The wood sub floor should provided solid screwing no matter where you go. would watch screw length to avoid water gas lines wiring etc. id stay away from window frames. think twice measure twice. once the screw goes in matching the hole is way bigger a problem
Flagstaff? Youroo!!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

You might keep in mind that while underway things do move around inside the trailer. If you put the table up against the wall, there is a possibility of the table banging against that wall while travelling. Adding brackets may make the structure too rigid and result in damage to the wall as well. Perhaps an inch from the wall with a foam cushion between the wall and table edge is better. You'll need to evaluate and decide.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #7

It's nice to hear from other new camper owners and their excitement also. I appreciate the info from everyone about floor and wall structures. What I'm thinking is attaching to aluminum window frame with foam between. On the floor where table bolts down to floor I was thinking about slotting holes in table and screwing down leaving just a little loose to allow for any movement or stress that could be involved. I will keep you informed as to what I do. Unfortunately we won't be using until spring here in the northeast. I have one other issue to deal with. When the slide is in, the slide out floor is up about an inch off trailer floor. When we walk on it to get bathroom it flexes putting stress on outside walls of slide. My thought is to put a temporary support that is very visible under the edge of the slide and have it stick out so it's visible and doesn't get forgotten to get removed before slide is extended, maybe paint bright orange or something. The reason for wanting to walk though camper with slide in is to be able to rinse black water tank when dumping.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #8

Mikdor1,your unit should have a BTR on the Outside,I see no reason to go Inside to Rinse the Black Tank! Youroo!!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #9

You're right youroo, but sometimes we have a line of campers behind us waiting to dump and under time restraints. Anyway I have modded dinette table but not how I previously mentioned. I removed top from pedestal and added a piano hinge. Here are some pics. I do still need to and a strap to prevent table from jiggling and falling down while in camper. When traveling it will be strapped down to keep top from bouncing on top of pedestal as in pics. Real test will be when we use it out in the real world.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tab 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	128402   Click image for larger version

Name:	tab 3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	128403   Click image for larger version

Name:	tab 5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	128404   Click image for larger version

Name:	tab 6.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	128405   Click image for larger version

Name:	tab 7.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	128406  

Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #10

Like what you did. I was thinking something similar but the piano hinge is a great touch. How difficult was it to remove and put back the table?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forest River Forums mobile app
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

Not hard at all, just removed 4 screws from pedestal base flipped over and modded flipped back over reinstalled screws. I did move closer to outside wall. I was out about 4 inches now it's about an inch.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #12

Thanks. Great work! I am planning to just put a plate to attach and detach without tools but curious if that would really be necessary. I want to put cots there if sleeping guests and just move table and chairs outside. Your point about easy access with the slide in makes this even more compelling to do but trying to figure out transport. Is the table pretty stable with the hinge? It did not look like you needed to clip it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forest River Forums mobile app
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #13

Yes, but I am not leaving it up in the up position while traveling. I do intend to put a clasp on table just to hold it upright so it doesn't fall from walking though trailer. I did put a strap to hold it down to pedestal when towing. It is in 2 pics, one connected and one disconnected.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikdor1 View Post
Can I just remove screws in table going into floor and move the table and put screws back in... Then I was thinking a couple of aluminum brackets attached to the aluminum window frame to give it stability.
Assuming your trailer and table are very much like my much older Rockwood, there should not be any issue moving the table. In my case I found the screws too long, they would run through the table feet and the floor by about 1/2 inch and damage the carpet when the slide came in.

I don't think the brackets will be necessary.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #15

I didn't attach to wall, came up with another idea. Go back in this tread and there are pics of what i did.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #16
Cyber Phrenologist

I like that!

Did your screws run clear out through the bottom of the slide like mine did?
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #17

Update on dinette table.....

I't works really well. don't know why Forest River doesn't do this on some models. Look back on this tread for pics..... No screws didn't go through....just be careful.