Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #1

Questions about inherited Flagstaff..

Hi, my father passed away recently and he left us a camper. All that we've determined about it is that it is a 2003 Flagstaff, 26 foot travel trailer with a slide out and awning. Seems to be in excellent condition, we know it was rarely used. I tried looking up nada value, but there are so many different models, I would have no idea which one this one was. I figured someone here might be able to help.

My basic questions are - how can I determine the value? Are camper sales better in some regions than others? (My sisters live in South Carolina, but I'm in Missouri, so the camper could be moved if it would sell easier here.)

And what is the best way to sell one of these things? Its so big, I imagine it would be hard to get anyone to let you sit it out anywhere in public so traffic could see it. Just list it in the paper, or what?

I'd appreciate the help, we know absolutely nothing about rv's and have been pretty confused in just getting as far as we have! Thanks.
chacyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Scanning 'for sale' publications like Auto Trader is a good way to establish values.... most 2003 26 footers will fall in a certain price range in the area. You might look at magazines from both areas to see if there is any advantage.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Secure the registration and title. They should tell you all you need to know about the make, model, etc. You are going to need both of these items anyway in order to sell it.

As far as disposing of the trailer, I suggest you scout around for a local dealer who will sell it for you on commission. You may, or may not, loose a few bucks but at least you won't have the hassle of trying to sell it yourself. BTW - The dealer will have the information on the value of the trailer readily available.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #4

If you are able to tow it take it to a Home Depot or lows or the like and sit with it in their lot, of course out of the main way, with a sign on it. Stay with it, the most they will say is move it. Then say your other half is shopping. I did it and got a hand full of people in a couple of hours. Of course I didn't sell mine that way but I tried. List it in the local penny saver, thrifty nickle or whatever. See how long you can park it in the street. Any and all exposure is worth it. Post notes at work, go to laundry mats, grocery stores. You get the idea. Think outside the box.
On a door inside the TT there should be a sticker with the model number. Or look on the outside right next to the door. Mine says 829 RGSS, that's the model number. Then look up in RV-Trader and the like for comparables. Be fair with the price and if it is in good condition it should move real quick. Ask too much and it will sit.

Good luck,

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the help - really appreciate it. I'm guess I'm just going to have to scout out some auto traders and dealers and some good possible spots to sit it out.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Biker trash

Hi
Sorry for your loss. I just wanted to tell you ,don't be suprised if the trailer don't bring what you think it should. Resale isn't very good on most camper's.
Youp best bet is finding a cash buyer that isn't looking at financing. That type of buyer can pay a higher price to you, than someone looking at finance charges also. Or you could become a camper your self. It aint so bad. Thats my two cents. Good luck and Let us know how you do. Tim & Mindy
Garage full of RC planes
Bella female Boston, Nick male Great Dane Boxer mix.
two girls all grown up.
Wife of 26 years, without her all of the above would be just a dream.
fxstsharleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
RAC

I used a generic 26DS 2003 with minimal options and it Nada'd for 13 K. If you could describe the floor plan we could tell you what it is. Where is the Bed? Kitchen? Dinette? does it have bunks? Use right, left front and back to describe where those things are. Is the slideout more toward front or back?
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #8

Okay, from the "front" (what I was told was the front door) you walk in and to your right is a couch looking thing with storage cabinets underneath, and overhead (With etched glass on the top cabinet doors) Then walking straight down the camper, on your right is a dinette that slides out, and to the left is the kitchen, with a big stereo overhead (I think it has a cd player too.) Its got the sink and fridge and everything. The bathroom is past this area, past the slide out, to the right. There is the "back door" across from the bathroom on the left, then straight back at the end is the bedroom.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
so it sounds quite a bit like this floorplan: http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/flo...series=7WideTT

Frankly, the model and those kind of details are not real important in advertising it and selling it. You summed up the main advertising points in your first post. Just get it nice and clean, make sure all the windows are clean and lights are working and their lenses are clean - bright sells. Make sure title is clear as are the holding tanks (flushed and deodorized). Advertise, show it level and stable, with 'shore-power' hooked up (fancy way of saying have it plugged into your 110 electic so that it's bright a buyer can see everything is working.) And don't be afraid to admit you know little about it and are selling it for the family. If the buyer has technical questions (gvwr, can I tow it with my Corolla, etc.) steer him to the manufacturers label or to the FR website for equivalent new trailers, or here if you want to.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
RAC

Wow a 26DS...I wonder where I saw that before?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #11

Ahh, okay, yes I'm pretty sure that is the one. I didn't put in any options, though, as these are even more confusing to me! RetiredArmyCWO - what are the minimal options you put in?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #12

Except, now that I'm looking at that floorplan - the length says "27 ft 1 inch" ? I'm positive my dad called it a 26 foot, and also in the nada dimensions for that model, it says Length/Width: 26' x 7' 6"

So is the floorplan site just rounding? Would I advertise as a 26 or 27 Ft?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #13
RAC

the "Box" is probably close to 26 foot, and when you measure bumper to tongue it's gonna be longer. Based on your description and what was avail. in 2003, the 26ds was most logical. I used a 13.5K BTU AC, the middle grade refer, cdplayer...basically the middle of everything minus things like Gen sets, etc

Tags
flagstaff