Old 03-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

Real weights:25brds

I recently bought a 2019 25brds and figured I would post some real world weights for people who are in the market or maybe curious what the actual weights are, enjoy:

5221:actual trailer weight off assembly line. We have added approximately 250lbs of stuff plus the single 12v battery, hitch, propane. I have not been to the cat scale yet to get an absolute weight. I estimate the trailer weight to be around 5700-5800 lbs. the hitch is a Reese strait line trunnions w/sway control cams.

880-900:actual tongue weight measured with sherline scale. This is with chairs, games, dishes, cookware, bedding, propane battery, hitch stuff etc in trailer. The only thing not present is food and the water tank is empty.

The numbers give me right at or just under 15% tongue weight. When I initially drove it home the water tank was full at 500lbs of water. It towed great with and without water, but to be safe I will likely tow without water as I rarely dry camp. If I do I will fill the tank close to the destination. The additional 500 lbs probably put me over my gvwr for the truck.

Just thought Id share

Sweedish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #2

Very helpful! We're looking into one of these, and from our last camper we discovered that the factory advertised tongue weights were nowhere near the actual TW.

geoffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

The Propane weight is calculated in the from factory weight. You do not add that in to the weight you are adding to the trailer.

Frank
FrankMor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

25 BRDS fresh water tank. I know all the other horror stories on various trailers, just looking to see if there are stories pertaining to this specific trailer. Damage/break tank while full and driving. Any?

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

Drove it several hours with a full water tank, no issues at highway speed
Sweedish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #6
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweedish15 View Post
Drove it several hours with a full water tank, no issues at highway speed
Have you ever removed the undercarriage membrane to see?

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #7

Thank you for the post. We own the same model but ours is a 2018. I looked at the 2019's earlier this year just to see if there were any differences but they were negligible. I've read specs, but have never weighed ours. Glad to see the tongue weight you posted though. That was one thing I always wondered about. It's a great travel trailer though, wife and i really have enjoyed it multiple times last year and 3 times already this year. Would have gone more this year but there's been a lot of flooding at the campgrounds we enjoy. Thanks again for the post!
lownote2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweedish15 View Post
I recently bought a 2019 25brds and figured I would post some real world weights for people who are in the market or maybe curious what the actual weights are, enjoy:

5221:actual trailer weight off assembly line. We have added approximately 250lbs of stuff plus the single 12v battery, hitch, propane. I have not been to the cat scale yet to get an absolute weight. I estimate the trailer weight to be around 5700-5800 lbs. the hitch is a Reese strait line trunnions w/sway control cams.

880-900:actual tongue weight measured with sherline scale. This is with chairs, games, dishes, cookware, bedding, propane battery, hitch stuff etc in trailer. The only thing not present is food and the water tank is empty.

The numbers give me right at or just under 15% tongue weight. When I initially drove it home the water tank was full at 500lbs of water. It towed great with and without water, but to be safe I will likely tow without water as I rarely dry camp. If I do I will fill the tank close to the destination. The additional 500 lbs probably put me over my gvwr for the truck.

Just thought Id share
What's your tow vehicle?
Old 06-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #9

5221 according to the dry weight on the door frame? What options do you have on yours?

Our 2509 was 5165 with the 13.5 AC, and the "base" interior (no stainless/wood trim on the fridge) as well as the dinette. It would be interesting to see what kind of variation the weight off the line gets.
2019 nights camped: 42. Miles towed: 3500.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #10

We made the 25BRDS purchase... borrowed a tongue scale from a friend at work and checked it this morning. The more or less ready to travel tongue weight is right at 1000lbs! No water here. Our tongue weight rating on our tow vehicle is 890lbs. The brochure for the camper says 709lbs. Most everything inside the camper that we've added is close to or over the axle, so I'm at a loss for why this weight is so heavy. All in I'd bet we've added collectively 200 lbs distributed around the interior of the camper. Removing the tongue battery saves approx 50lbs, and additionally everything removed from the front baggage compartment gets us down to about 900lbs. Removing the propane bottles gets us into the low 800s.

Now, I suppose the tongue scale may not be totally accurate... it is a Sherline.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #11

(I should note that was also with nothing in the front wardrobe compartments... the only addition after removing the front baggage stuff was our murphy bed bedding and mattress topper.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #12

I would say that this is common. They all seem to be way heavier than 'advertised'. My pin weight may be 1,000 lbs or so more than the specs. Specs are for reading fine print, that's about all they're good for. I'd bet that a goodly percentage of every camper is over the specs.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffdaddy View Post

Now, I suppose the tongue scale may not be totally accurate... it is a Sherline.
That's not likely. NEVER heard of an inaccurate Sherline, in the 20 years I've been on numerous RV forums.
You do know know that brochure/website "dry" weights are based on a stripped down version of the trailer. Doesn't include weights of options nor so-called forced option packages.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You do know know that brochure/website "dry" weights are based on a stripped down version of the trailer. Doesn't include weights of options nor so-called forced option packages.
I don't "know" that. I know that the yellow sticker is supposed to include the weights of the propane and propane bottles, so it would be reasonable to assume that the tongue weight is also calculated the same way. They don't really advertise how they measure tongue weights, so it's hard to "know" with any certainty without saying how they measure, which of course they don't.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
I don't "know" that. I know that the yellow sticker is supposed to include the weights of the propane and propane bottles, so it would be reasonable to assume that the tongue weight is also calculated the same way. They don't really advertise how they measure tongue weights, so it's hard to "know" with any certainty without saying how they measure, which of course they don't.
I specified website/brochure dry weights, NOT yellow sticker weights.
The trailer's yellow sticker weight is what it weighed when it left the factory.
That's a way better number to work with, than bogus website/brochure weights.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 07-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #16

Except that the brochure uvw IS consistent with the yellow sticker weight. In fact it’s a few pounds heavier than the stickered weights of every camper I’ve ever looked at. So, it would seem logical to assume that the tongue weight calculations would be consistent within some margin of error given that the brochure weights are similar for the trailer dry weights.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Except that the brochure uvw IS consistent with the yellow sticker weight.
That is not the norm. Does your model have few options available? If not, could be why the two numbers are close.
But there is no substitute for actual scaled numbers.
Equalizer WDH
Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That is not the norm. Does your model have few options available? If not, could be why the two numbers are close.
But there is no substitute for actual scaled numbers.
Agreed, no substitute for "real" numbers, but I find the practice deceptive when there's virtually no options available. All the units in this product family are exactly the same by model except for three things: upholstery patterns, cabinet color and cabinet door styling, and 13500 BTU vs 15000 BTU roof mount AC. All of those things should have negligible impact on tongue weights. And if their advertised unit weights are within a margin of what the shipping dry weights are, well, then tongue weights should be similar.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #19

Here's the answer straight from the horse's mouth:

"I have received your email and the weight in the literature is referring to the base dry weight. which would mean no batteries or tanks. I hope this information helps and if you should need further assistance please feel free to reach out."

Without batteries and tanks on the unit I was able to get down to about 800lbs.

Tags
weight