Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

Recall

Has anyone heard about a recall on Flagstaff trailers? I guess it has something to do with the break away electric switch.
Papatrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #2

Yes, we received a recall notice for break away switch. Camping World/Gander Outdoors in Bartow FL. checked the switch on our 25BDS. Recall was performed as per the instructions. Basically wired so it was always hot when plugged into a TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_120848.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	206188  
Bobh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #3

If I hadn't already re-wired my factory battery cutoff switch I doubt I would even bother taking the trailer to the Dealer for this repair.

How hard is it to follow the breakaway switch's power lead to the Battery switch and make sure it's connected to the same stud as the wire from the battery?

I's like the issue with the oven Pilot Lite assy. Cost of just buying the new pilot lite assy and installing it myself was less than what I'd have to pay in fuel to take the unit to the Dealer. Worse yet, you don't just take the Trailer to most Dealers and have the issue corrected while you wait. It's usually a matter of leaving the unit until they can get around to it and that means TWO round trips to the Dealer, one with the Trailer and one without. Also loss of use for a week or more.

I realize that not everyone knows how, or wants to, fix these things themselves but after over 40 years of camping with a TT, it becomes more a matter of survival.

Funny, you'd think that all Safety Related items like breakaway switch, gas lines, etc, would all be on a "Final Inspection Check List" before releasing for transport. Just add "Turn Off Battery and check Breakaway Switch".

Oh well, the more things change the more they remain the same.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh1 View Post
Yes, we received a recall notice for break away switch. Camping World/Gander Outdoors in Bartow FL. checked the switch on our 25BDS. Recall was performed as per the instructions. Basically wired so it was always hot when plugged into a TV.
The Break-A_Way switch should always be hot even when disconnected from the TV. It should be wired directly to the hot side of the battery disconnect or directly to the positive post on the battery. If the trailer becomes disconnected from the TV then the umbilical will also be pulled loose from the TV. It's the trailers battery that makes the brakes work in case of trailer and TV separation.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #5

Yes you are correct. My bad.
Bobh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall