Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #1

Recaulking seams

I have a 2014 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS. I store it in a carport at my home when I am not on the road and so far spend about 5 months a year on the road. I try to keep watch on maintenance items to stay ahead of leaks/breaks. I have no leaks that I know of but with 3 years on the original seams, I am wondering opinions on resealing? The caulk all still looks very good. Then, if I should be proactive and recaulk, how much of the existing do I need to shave off before putting new on? And what brand do y'all like? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #2

I'll be glad to hear the input on this question also.
rjgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #3

wow>>the silence is deafening. Maybe no one tackles this chore at home? If anyone has had this done, was it preventative and if so, when did you have it done? And about how much did it cost?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #4

Hi,
I used to check my old Coachman twice a year.
For the roof: Clean old sealant with acetone and reapply new Dicor self-leveling to any crack, seam or screw head that looks thin. Poop it on thick.

For the sidewalls, lights, plugs and ports: Clean old sealant with acetone and reapply new Dicor Non -sag to any area that looks thin or cracked. Use a thin bead.
There is no reson to remove the old, just clean it with acetone so the new stuff sticks.
Both versions above are around $10.00 a tube. You will need 1 tube of each.

There are many here that used EternaBond tape on the roof seams for permanant results. I am going to use the EternaBond tape on my roof when I get my new unit this spring. This cost more, $100 + but is permanent.
Hope this helps.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #5

YES>>thank you! I will definitely use the tape. Didn't know about that. Time consuming for sure but seems worth it.

Tags
caulk