Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Reese revoltion pin box questios

I have only had this unit for a few days-but I've found that you have to be pretty much dead on when hooking this up, and as for releasing the hitch and moving away- that is probably my biggest hassle --so I'm looking for advice from owners of this pin box as to any hints when uncoupling the rig...

Thanks, Larry
kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopy kat View Post
I have only had this unit for a few days-but I've found that you have to be pretty much dead on when hooking this up, and as for releasing the hitch and moving away- that is probably my biggest hassle --so I'm looking for advice from owners of this pin box as to any hints when uncoupling the rig...

Thanks, Larry
If you are having trouble hooking up, try getting the trailer a little lower to make it go up the hitch ramp. If unhooking is a problem, try lifting the trailer to where the trailer just lifts off the hitch about 1/16"-1/8". Had the same problem until I experimented a little and now I can hook up at an angle and it barely bumps the trailer when it latches. Doesn't move at all on the unhook, just lift it a little and pull the latch.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Had the same issues with our unit until I coated the slide plate of the hitch and the pin box with dry graphite. I use a graphite spray that I picked up from Home Depot.
riddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopy kat View Post

Thanks, Larry
Howdy.
I agree that to hook up you've got to come in dead straight--this is because the wedge which keeps the pin straight in the hitch while driving will also prevent the pin from seating during hookup if you come in at an angle.

To help me come in straight, I've put 3 pieces of white tape vertically along the center of the pin box:

When I'm backing up to the box, it is real easy to see whether these 3 pieces are aligned vertically. I hook up on the first attempt most times now.

I've also added one of those teflon skid plates to the box:

As you can see, I had to cut a notch in the plate to fit around the wedge, but that's easy enough if you measure carefully.

As for releasing the hitch, the biggest problem I had at first was that the release handle was sometimes hard to pull. After raising the trailer to take the weight off of the hitch (the 1/16" to 1/8" gap advice in a previous post is excellent), the trailer may still be pulling the pin back on the rear of the hitch due to a slight slope, your chocks, or whatever. Try putting the truck in reverse and releasing the brake (do NOT step on the gas!) to eliminate this pressure and the handle should be easy to pull.

- Ken
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

kmr, don't understand the advantage of the Teflon disc with the wedge. I bought one originally when we didn't use the wedge(trip home and back to dealer) and took it off when they installed the wedge. I have since made a solid 1" thick wedge without any slots and smooth sides and it works much better. I can be at a slight angle to hook and unhook.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
kmr
Ken

The teflon disk is just for hooking and unhooking. I'd rather do that than grease the hitch and risk getting myself messy.

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmr View Post
The teflon disk is just for hooking and unhooking. I'd rather do that than grease the hitch and risk getting myself messy.
Mine is perfectly dry except I did grease the front of the pin and the sides of the wedge. No problems yet.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmr View Post
X2
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote