Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #11
Tuskstar

I have f250 6.5 pulling 8528ikws b&w companion. I wonder if I should have gotten a slider. Haven't pulled with it yet.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuskstar View Post
I have f250 6.5 pulling 8528ikws b&w companion. I wonder if I should have gotten a slider. Haven't pulled with it yet.
Well if you haven't pulled with it yet it's not to late to take it back and trade for the slider. You already know it's gonna cost more but more options are sometimes a better choice especially when your trying to park the rig in a real tight area.

Like others have said it's better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it.

Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #13
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuskstar View Post
If you utilize the Revolution part if the 5th wheel pin box, there is no need for a slider. Should you decide to keep the Reese Revolution pinned and use it as a conventional pin box, a slider may be a good idea.

On the other hand... I do not use the Revolution function of my pin box.
I also have had a slider hitch in my 6.5' beds that has never slid in 20 years of use with 3 different trailers and 4 different trucks.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
I just reread your post and noticed that you stated: "Besides the tow vehicle clearance issue which I do not have". Do you have an 8', 6.5', or 5'8" bed. It appears from your statement that you have a 8' bed which eliminates the need to unpin the hitch.

The custom wedge statement is also a question. I have been visiting local FR retailers and was actually looking at this hitch installed on a Flagstaff. The hitch was pinned as yours is and when I was looking I noticed there was also a wedge bolted to the underneath of the hitch. I could be wrong but I thought the salesman said it was a universal wedge that could be used for all 5th wheel plates but maybe not??
The universal wedge will work with some hitches some of the time. I used it for 2 seasons and bought the Reese wedge for my hitch.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigflag View Post
We have a new to us Flagstaff 8528IKWS with a Reese Revolution pin box. The pinbox is currently set in transport mode. IE: it doesn't swivel. Besides the tow vehicle clearance issue which I do not have, what are the benefits, if any, of installing the wedge and using the swivel feature? Does it make it easier to back the trailer? Is the turning radius shortened allowing for significantly better maneuverability in tight situations? I am aware that if I go this route I should have a custom wedge.

Thanks,
I have the revolution and would buy a sidewinder on the next trailer if not equipped. Having a slider takes up bed space and in my case with a 6 3/4 I do not need a slider but having the revolution makes turning a breeze. I would recommend it .
Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #16

I use the Revolution with my 6'9" bed F250.
Even though the turning circle of the F250 is huge (90 degree turns are a pipe dream) I wouldn't be without either the Revolution (unlocked, with the custom wedge for my Reese Titan hitch), or a slider.

The big benefit of the Revolution over a slider is that it keeps the pin weight over the axle, even if the rotation point is behind the axle, whereas a slider moves the pin weight back as it slides.

However, with a 7'8" bed, you shouldn't need either. If I had an extra foot of clearance I wouldn't bother with either, and would just keep the Revolution locked.
To be 100% sure have a spotter with you and find a big open parking/storage lot and try gradually turning sharper, with your spotter checking clearance, until you're sure that you are clear when turning on full lock (or 90deg, whichever comes first)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
I use the Revolution with my 6'9" bed F250.
Even though the turning circle of the F250 is huge (90 degree turns are a pipe dream) I wouldn't be without either the Revolution (unlocked, with the custom wedge for my Reese Titan hitch), or a slider.

The big benefit of the Revolution over a slider is that it keeps the pin weight over the axle, even if the rotation point is behind the axle, whereas a slider moves the pin weight back as it slides.

However, with a 7'8" bed, you shouldn't need either. If I had an extra foot of clearance I wouldn't bother with either, and would just keep the Revolution locked.
To be 100% sure have a spotter with you and find a big open parking/storage lot and try gradually turning sharper, with your spotter checking clearance, until you're sure that you are clear when turning on full lock (or 90deg, whichever comes first)
Agreed.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #18
Riverss

stop stop stop did i read your post right you have a B&W Companion ??? if this is the Companion that pins into the B&W turn over ball goose neck hitch then you CAN NOT use that hitch with the Reese revolution pin box. The attachment point will is not engineered for the rotational stress that a Revolution/sidewinder put on it and B&W says NO the B&W Patriot series YES because of the way it mounts in the truck. Great hitches though if used properly
Basenji back seat copilot named Lilly
riverss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #19

Yep agree. If you keep the companion then make sure you keep the Reese revolution pinned always. As far as slider vs non-slider many post and all responses are user inputs that vary greatly.

It really gets down to what you want to purchase and are comfortable using. Just be aware that 6.5' foot beds, or less, have the potential to have the TV and 5er to touch in tight turns. Whatever you decide enjoy your camping season.

Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote