Old 04-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

refrigerator on Propane setting cooling time

Assuming you start at say 75 degrees inside trailer, how long for propane setting to get freezer down below freezing ..to maintain frozen food. I understand that propane cools better than the AC electric setting.

joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I havenít seen ours cool down very fast. Even on propane it still takes long enough that now I just plug it into electric the night before. By morning, usually cool enough.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #3

I'll speed things up a bit by tossing a few frozen gel packs in the fridge and freezer compartments first, but Kaadk is correct. I give mine a 24 hour head start if possible, plenty cold by then. One of those little fan gizmos mounted to the fins also seems to help.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

On our last 5th wheel I could get from ambient to correct freezer temps in 8 hours on propane. Our current 4 door refrigerator takes 16-18 hours. Like others, we simply start it the day before we start loading. During the summer months, we rarely turn it off.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I've found that the outside temperature plays a lot into how long it takes for the fridge to get cold. It also depends a lot on if the back side of the fridge faces the sun or not. The temperature and the direction the out side faces has a lot more impact on cooling the fridge down than the inside temperature. At least this has been my experience.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

I have a Norcold (if you need the model let me know as I always get picked on for not retaking a picture I posted many times.)

On propane alone the freezer will have frost on the walls in less than an hour.

The inner fridge ribs will frost in 12 hours and have the fridge at near 28 degrees empty. If the food I put in is cold after that initial freezer frost It maintains 42 degrees for the next 3 hours and generally runs after 10 hours at 36-38 degrees.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
The propane cools the fridge down a lot faster than electric. If your fridge in in a slide,,,,it'll be slower than if the fridge is not on a slide. The convection heat in a slide system doesn't do as well as the non slide setup.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
The propane cools the fridge down a lot faster than electric. If your fridge in in a slide,,,,it'll be slower than if the fridge is not on a slide. The convection heat in a slide system doesn't do as well as the non slide setup.
I believe there are fan units that can be added to aid the convection in the outside "condenser" area of the refrigerator. I've seen some for sale and also pictures of DIY units made from computer fans.

In past years when forced to park trailer with the refrigerator on the Sun Side, I've improvised "heat shields" to keep sun from shining directly on the refrigerator grill. Current trailer has refrigerator mounted on side shielded by awning so that helps imensely.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #9

Propane cools down way faster, but if not in a rush use elec to save propane. I use elec to do initial cool down the evening before and switch to propane apx 1 hr before I leave to make sure everything is OK and in fact switched over.

In Fl heat the initial cool down takes a while so I start at night not in daytime heating. It is the refr, not the freezer that takes a while to cool down. Once the cooling starts (apx 1-2 hrs) the freezer starts dropping toward 0 or single digits. It get below freezing before the refer does any cooling down. The physical system design brings the freezer down before the refer. It is not a compressor. It is radiant heating that creates cooling.

Again everything is down and stabilized typically in the am. 8-12 hrs later from initial start of pushing the buttons.

Interesting note - the refers that are not in slides work better due to heat going straight up vs using in and out on side vents.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I haven’t seen ours cool down very fast. Even on propane it still takes long enough that now I just plug it into electric the night before. By morning, usually cool enough.
Ditto
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Usually takes about 24 hours for the fridge to get up to speed.

So...turn it on the day before you want to start loading it!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #12

I've cooled the frig down both ways and I can tell you that on propane the frig gets colder sooner than on ac. As was stated earlier, you need to put some frozen bottles of water in the freezer AND the frig compartments. When I cooled it down on ac with the frozen bottles it took about 10-12 hours. When cooling down on propane and frozen bottles the freezer was cold in about 5 hours and the frig was cool enough to place food in it after 7 hours. After that I've been able to keep Klondike Bars frozen in the freezer for weeks while traveling to Wisconsin and back home to Florida.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #13

' forgot to mention, with all the crap, garbage, liars cheats, and bullies in the RV industry, I came across this gentleman and I count him in the handful out of hundreds in the former category that are great, nut just OK. He has a fan product that will make your refr section work wonderfully by moving the air inside. Read the literature, it is one of the few items I give 5 stars to.

The one I purchased
https://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-Evaporator-Fan-Greater-inside-Cooling-Customer-Deluxe-wGrill-P3239952.aspx

Many models to choose from
https://rvcoolingunit.com/-Improve-y...5.aspx?sid=298

You can also get some on Amazon, but slightly less expensive at his website directly.

https://rvcoolingunit.com/default.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-RV-Ref...3651494&sr=1-1
Old 04-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #14

Check out this product as well:

https://www.arprv.com/

It is more than just a fan, but an auto shut-off and restart if the fridge begins to overheat.

I saw him at a camping rally in Tucson two years ago and watched his seminar with a live demonstration, but could not get on their waiting list to get it installed at the rally.

I'm hoping to run in to him again at a rally in the future.

Some friends of mind did get it installed at that rally and they love it!

They said their freezer and fridge run about 5 degrees cooler than without it.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #15

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Also,,,if the fridge in in a slide,,,,stuff insulation on both sides and the top. This really helped mine operate much better.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
Also,,,if the fridge in in a slide,,,,stuff insulation on both sides and the top. This really helped mine operate much better.
But be careful not to block the ventilation, otherwise it may overheat and cause a fire!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Check out this product as well:

https://www.arprv.com/

It is more than just a fan, but an auto shut-off and restart if the fridge begins to overheat.

I saw him at a camping rally in Tucson two years ago and watched his seminar with a live demonstration, but could not get on their waiting list to get it installed at the rally.

I'm hoping to run in to him again at a rally in the future.

Some friends of mind did get it installed at that rally and they love it!

They said their freezer and fridge run about 5 degrees cooler than without it.
Small world... I ordered one of these yesterday for my new TT; it arrives tomorrow, according to USPS. Will install next week, before my shakedown cruise.

What I discovered after reading this thread is that the other post referenced for the fridge fans (RV Cooling Unit Whse) - is currently selling the ARP about $20 or so *cheaper* than the ARPrv website. And if you record a video of the install and send them the YouTube link, they'll rebate you another (!) $25 on top of that Oh, well...

I'll see if I can take some pics when I install it - but for those really interested - the ARPrv website has a ton of info / pics regarding install - and it's really not too hard to install, besides.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #18

I just leave my Ref on Auto but turn it on 12 to 24 hours before departure. However if I am in a hurry I put 2 frozen gallon jugs of water into it, one in the freezer and one in the ref section.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2017 Days Camping 77
2018 Days Camping 44
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
Small world... I ordered one of these yesterday for my new TT; it arrives tomorrow, according to USPS. Will install next week, before my shakedown cruise.

What I discovered after reading this thread is that the other post referenced for the fridge fans (RV Cooling Unit Whse) - is currently selling the ARP about $20 or so *cheaper* than the ARPrv website. And if you record a video of the install and send them the YouTube link, they'll rebate you another (!) $25 on top of that Oh, well...

I'll see if I can take some pics when I install it - but for those really interested - the ARPrv website has a ton of info / pics regarding install - and it's really not too hard to install, besides.
I took photos of his demo...

I'll look them up when I get a chance and post them here.

I full-time now so I might just buy it and put it in myself.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post

Even better, it is this months sale item!!!!
https://rvcoolingunit.com/This-Month...-P5683922.aspx

Tags
cooling, propane, refrigerator