Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Removing the water filter.

Just checking to see if anyone else has removed (bypassed) the built in water filter and if you experienced any problems after it was removed/bypassed? I decided not to invest in the Flagstaff water filters and removed it and connected the input and outlet lines. We installed a water pump and faucet at the kitchen sink that draws from a 5 gal jug for drinking water underneath the counter. We just use the water tank for washing and flushing. The pump appears to have a filter to protect it and if we do have a problem at a faucet weíll remove the aerator and clean it. Am I missing anything? - Charlie

Gjersvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Kasual Kamper

Doesn't refilling that 5 gallon jug get tiresome? What is your reason for not using the city water connection? You can do what you've done and hook up an outside filter that feeds your city water connection.

JayArras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Doesn't refilling that 5 gallon jug get tiresome? What is your reason for not using the city water connection? You can do what you've done and hook up an outside filter that feeds your city water connection.
X2.

Being too worried about water, I got 2 of the whole house filter housings at a big box hardware store and connected them. The first has a sand/grit filter and the second is a .5 micron that is good for cysts and such. Then hearing some of the horror stories about water pressure, I just fill my FW tank from the campground water source. Probably overkill, but it makes me comfortable.
At the point where I removed the factory I put in a 2 gallon pressure tank. That reduces the number of stop/starts for the pump. Usually enough to get several flushes to keep the pump from waking folks up at night.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:

Not at all, we have the same set up at home because we have a shallow well and prefer not to drink the water, but use well water for everything else. Most of the places where we camp do not have city water at the site. If we had a city water connection we would use it. Instead we fill up our water tank when we enter a park.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
X2.

Being too worried about water, I got 2 of the whole house filter housings at a big box hardware store and connected them. The first has a sand/grit filter and the second is a .5 micron that is good for cysts and such. Then hearing some of the horror stories about water pressure, I just fill my FW tank from the campground water source. Probably overkill, but it makes me comfortable.

At the point where I removed the factory I put in a 2 gallon pressure tank. That reduces the number of stop/starts for the pump. Usually enough to get several flushes to keep the pump from waking folks up at night.

The pressure tank is something I may need to think about.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
X2.

I would hope you would use a water pressure reducer at the water connection. No worries and need not fill fresh water tank. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I would hope you would use a water pressure reducer at the water connection. No worries and need not fill fresh water tank. Later RJD
Have a reducer to drop to 40 PSI. With it in place, shower water pressure is basically non-existent and the rest of the faucets are very slow... Using the FW tank solved all the issues.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjersvik View Post
The pressure tank is something I may need to think about.
Bladder/Pressure tanks of 2-5 gallon make for life like Home! Youroo!!
Old 05-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Have a reducer to drop to 40 PSI. With it in place, shower water pressure is basically non-existent and the rest of the faucets are very slow... Using the FW tank solved all the issues.
Sounds like you have a low-flow water pressure regulator? Not all of them do that, but some poor ones reduce flow and pressure which makes for a bad experience.

The 12v pumps run around 55psi but only do around 3GPM, so if your city water is worse than that there must be a problem with your regulator or some sort of blockage or restriction with the city side of the system.

This regulator does the same 50-55psi as the 12v pump but is able to flow over 10GPM, 3x what the pump will do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BVXHQY
Old 05-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Sounds like you have a low-flow water pressure regulator? Not all of them do that, but some poor ones reduce flow and pressure which makes for a bad experience.
I also find that they go bad over time and need to be replaced after a number of years.
JayArras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjersvik View Post
Just checking to see if anyone else has removed (bypassed) the built in water filter and if you experienced any problems after it was removed/bypassed?
No problems. My built in water filter canister leaked from the get go and was awkward to access seated behind the water heater in the front storage area. I removed it and used a short segment of 1/2" threaded PVC to fill the gap. I now use a CAMCO external water filter on my shore water hose along with a pressure gauge/reducer set at 40 psi.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
X 3 !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #13

We have never used campground water,,, how ever we are taking an 11 day trip next month and will need water along the way !!! My plan is to use our hose filter & fill out fresh water tank along the way ??? We don't reserve full hook/up sites only ele !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #14

One of the first things I did when we got our "new" TT was to take out that crazy filter. Actually, I didn't take it out, I just bypassed it. Used the "shark bite" connections and they worked very well - and being standard house connections, they can take a lot more pressure than the other plumbing in your trailer. On our 6th season with it and it works fine - no leaks. We do use the "whole house" filter canister on the little holder stand (Wall Mart & camping stores have them) outside the trailer when we hook up to city connections - which is most all the time. Filters are MUCH cheaper and everything is easy to replace without getting water all over in the trailer. Sure you can put towels down to soak it up, but why bother when you can do it outside and not have a mess to clean up.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
One of the first things I did when we got our "new" TT was to take out that crazy filter. Actually, I didn't take it out, I just bypassed it. Used the "shark bite" connections and they worked very well - and being standard house connections, they can take a lot more pressure than the other plumbing in your trailer. On our 6th season with it and it works fine - no leaks. We do use the "whole house" filter canister on the little holder stand (Wall Mart & camping stores have them) outside the trailer when we hook up to city connections - which is most all the time. Filters are MUCH cheaper and everything is easy to replace without getting water all over in the trailer. Sure you can put towels down to soak it up, but why bother when you can do it outside and not have a mess to clean up.
Agree 100% about the "Sharkbites" I had a Schedule 40 PVC coupling and it cracked at the Tadpole Rally so I Did it Correct and used the Brass Sharkbites! Youroo!!

Tags
water, water filter