Old 06-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
AKA KE2DX

Replace my stabilizer jacks?

I was wondering if anybody has replaced the stabilzer jacks on their ultra lite trailers? I found that the standard supplied stabilizer jacks to be VERY soft and weak. On our first trip out with the new 831FKBSS, The bolt that holds the foot plate onto the jack bent when I put a little pressure on it as I went to stabilize the TT. I just ordered and received sissors type stabilizer jacks ( BAL 6500 lb) and want to put them on in place of the factory supplied jacks...I would think that these are better as I had them on my Cherokee and they worked fine and I was actually able to lift the TT wheels off the ground (they were that strong!) I wonder if the frame on these ultra lites is strong enough to carry the weight of the scissor jacks...any comments?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #2

I too like the scissor jacks better.I think the frame would carry the weight ok, but not sure what would happen if to much pressure was put on the frame while stabilizing the TT.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #3

If you look at the home page of this forum, you'll see a box to the right with "steadyfast" stabilizers" that would work well. I have; and you probably do, as well- BAL stabilizers that are like pads that crank down from the sides. I have read on here posts of people having success with a jack that is installed between the tires- as a brake, of sorts, that stops front to rear movement pretty well. Also, BAL sells add on side to side stabilizers that have received pretty good reviews, AND they are MUCH cheaper than most others I've seen. They are what I am going to get. I have seen them for 58.00 per set. You'll need 2 sets for 4 corners, and they claim easy installation, and once on there, they stay on the camper. Hope this helps! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you have the I-beam frame like our Surveyor, I would be a little leary of adding scissors jacks. I had them on my Trailmanor, but that was a 2x5 tubular frame. The jacks could lift the wheels off of the ground. Even though you won't be lifting the wheels, I am wondering if too much lift could flex the frame some. The standard stab-jacks probably don't have enough leverage to damage anything.....except the jacks themselves.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Head Rambler

Read your owners manual or call the mfg before lifting the wheels off the ground with the stabilizers. Most all light RV's warn you not to use the stabs as jacks. While the scissors will certainly be able to do it, putting too much pressure on the ends of the frames will cause damage.

Having said that, I changed my stabilizers on our last RV to scissors and found that they were actually less stable than the stabilizers that came on the unit. It's all about geometry. The SteadyFast design takes advantage of geometry to steady an RV. The most stable design is a pyramid, but since that's impractical, a pair of trapezoids or triangles perpendicular to each other is the next best thing.

On our current RV I've turned two of the stabilizers on opposite corners 90º to improve the stability. I'm now considering adding one on each side right behind the wheels to reduce the suspension bounce.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
On our current RV I've turned two of the stabilizers on opposite corners 90º to improve the stability. I'm now considering adding one on each side right behind the wheels to reduce the suspension bounce.
Our Surveyor came with the jacks turned in different directions. The front jacks are parallel with the frame, and the back 2 are parallel with the bumper. I thought that was a good idea. Opposite corners seem better yet. You just gotta remember which is which before you bend down at the wrong place to use them.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff