Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

replace that anode rod REGULARLY!

Just replace mine last night. The last owner used the camper to live in for a whole year. I assumed that she never did any PM on it. There is absolutely nothing left to the rod and I have to use my high power impact wrench to get it lose. bad rust even on the thread. also, I used a bottle brush with an extended handle to clean the bottom of the tank while flusing with lots of water. There is at least 1/4 layer of white stuff there. I'm glad that I did this. Erwin

1999 F350 7.3L PSD Superduty, Super cab, long bed, auto, Dually
1995 F350 7.3L PSD, stick, dump bed work truck
erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

I am not sure if others would agree to this method, but I filled my water heater with 1 gallon of vinegar and remaining water, turned the heat on and let it cook for 6 hours. When I drained and flushed the tank almost all the crud and limestone sediment was gone.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

The anode rod should last 3 or 4 years at the very least, yes it will look like a beaver was chewing on it but it is still ok. For us that have to winterize it is removed as part of the process and when I take ours out I run the threads on the wire wheel on my bench grinder to clean it up. To clean out the heater I just open the pressure relief and put the hose in thehole where the anode rod came out and let the tank half fill and pull the hose, it will flush out quite clean just doing that 2 or 3 times in a row.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Some data on the anode rod:

Atwood water heaters are aluminum and DO NOT NEED anode rods. The plug and socket is for draining and cleanout.

Suburban water heaters have iron boilers and DO NEED an anode rod. They MUST be changed regularly to prevent your anode plug from welding itself closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4086.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	19931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater element.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	19934  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
The anode rod should last 3 or 4 years at the very least, yes it will look like a beaver was chewing on it but it is still ok. For us that have to winterize it is removed as part of the process and when I take ours out I run the threads on the wire wheel on my bench grinder to clean it up. To clean out the heater I just open the pressure relief and put the hose in thehole where the anode rod came out and let the tank half fill and pull the hose, it will flush out quite clean just doing that 2 or 3 times in a row.
The life of the anode is dependent on the water. Our 1st one in our 08 lasted 2 yrs and the 2nd one was still good after 3 yrs when we traded it off this last Feb. I usually take them out every year and glass bead blast the crud off and re-install.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #6

A good coat of "Never Seize" on the threads goes a long way to making it easier to remove every year. Then recoat when installing.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

I posted my rod last year before my camper was taken to the junkyard do to Harricane Iren, the camper was 5 years old and I pull it out every fall. The anode rod was from day one and still in good shape...

The rod should be inspected every fall before closing the camper for the Winter and then replace in the spring if needed.

The water conditions from campground to campground will very as far as quality and this will determand how long the anode rod will last. If I can I will go back and see if I can find the post.....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #8

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ode-16740.html
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode