Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

Replacing a floor in the bathroom 06 831BHSS

Hello all,

Well at some point we must have developed a leak because the floor in our bathroom is shot. I noticed it last year and sealed everything as best I could but with using it as often as we do we can tell the floor in the bathroom is totally shot and getting worse from us walking on it. I actually make a point to stand on the joists when I go in because I feel like I am going to fall through. With that said, anyone ever replace a floor in a bathroom? I am considering just laying a hardwood or manufactured floor right over top but I hear you are not supposed to put those in potentially wet areas like the bathroom, is this true? Keeping in mind that while I am fairly handy I have no experience at all in any type of flooring, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
ARLO

If the leak is fixed, how about plywood and vinyl floor covering.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673
Hello all,

Well at some point we must have developed a leak because the floor in our bathroom is shot. I noticed it last year and sealed everything as best I could but with using it as often as we do we can tell the floor in the bathroom is totally shot and getting worse from us walking on it. I actually make a point to stand on the joists when I go in because I feel like I am going to fall through. With that said, anyone ever replace a floor in a bathroom? I am considering just laying a hardwood or manufactured floor right over top but I hear you are not supposed to put those in potentially wet areas like the bathroom, is this true? Keeping in mind that while I am fairly handy I have no experience at all in any type of flooring, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Your best bet and good looking appearance might be Engineered Hardwood. Rated much higher than hardwood or laminate and better appearance than vinyl. May need only 1 box and tons of colors to choose from.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Your best bet and good looking appearance might be Engineered Hardwood. Rated much higher than hardwood or laminate and better appearance than vinyl. May need only 1 box and tons of colors to choose from.
That is what I was thinking as well. Another member did his floor with this and I believe 3/8" in the biggest you can use so the slide out does not scratch. What are your thoughts on this in the bathroom? Will some shower splash damage this type floor? Thanks all!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673

That is what I was thinking as well. Another member did his floor with this and I believe 3/8" in the biggest you can use so the slide out does not scratch. What are your thoughts on this in the bathroom? Will some shower splash damage this type floor? Thanks all!
They advertise EH as the most tolerant of all "wood" floors. Normal defense "no standing water". Both laminate and hardwood damage easily with moisture and water. There's also the vinyl wood look strips, very thin but to me a distant cousin
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #6

As the floor is just a cheap sandwich of very thin plywood with Styrofoam in the middle, you can't do much with that. So the only solution seems to be to lay something on top, running across the floor "joists".
Since it is in the bathroom, you could go with a thicker laminate floor. Just check with your flooring guys for the most moisture-resistant stuff they got. Since it is such a small area, you can afford to buy top quality flooring.
Good luck.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote