Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #1

Replacing LED strip

I apologize if this was posted elsewhere, but I have a 2014 Microlite 25DS with some of the LED lights not working. We would like to replace the strip And was wondering if there were any recommendations on what brand or type to purchase. I understand that they need to be waterproof but other than that are there any things that we should be looking for? Are they usually the bright lights or more soft lights? Would be interested in ability for Dimming and Really mostly interested in white.
Thanks!
PTLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

Go to Ebay.. they sell full reels that are waterproof for decent prices. You can buy ones that are soft white/color. What that means is that one LED is white, the next color, white, color, etc.. So you can just turn on soft white, or color, or both. I installed them in my kitchen, they work great. Should be pretty easy too, and the strips can be cut too.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply! So for outdoors under the awning, soft white would be good? I would think that the brighter one would be too glaring?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just try to watch what you get from eBay with those lights. I got some multi-colour ones for the TT for really cheap from China. Then I was constantly cutting out the silicone to resolder the points that went bad, before having to re-silcone them. The actual LEDs on the strip was decent, but the strips themselves broke too easily for the flexing as they went down the road.

As far as which level of light, when they worked, I'd run them with an orange or yellowish tint. The new trailer has a string of white built into the roller, and every time I've tried them I've immediately turned them off. I like the way they light up, but so do the bugs. I can't run them without having a swarm under my awning within seconds. If you camp where there's bugs, you'll want to take that into consideration for your light choice.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Thanks for Your reply! So a soft white would be better I assume?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLady View Post
Thanks for your reply! So for outdoors under the awning, soft white would be good? I would think that the brighter one would be too glaring?

Well, those color/white strips do both.. they do soft white, but they also do bright white. It's hard to explain, but they use the color LEDs to accomplish that white/blueish color. So you would get soft white, white, and any color you want. They are also dimmable on any setting.. and you could make them redish, orange, etc.. by having the soft white and color on at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Just try to watch what you get from eBay with those lights. I got some multi-colour ones for the TT for really cheap from China. Then I was constantly cutting out the silicone to resolder the points that went bad, before having to re-silcone them. The actual LEDs on the strip was decent, but the strips themselves broke too easily for the flexing as they went down the road.

As far as which level of light, when they worked, I'd run them with an orange or yellowish tint. The new trailer has a string of white built into the roller, and every time I've tried them I've immediately turned them off. I like the way they light up, but so do the bugs. I can't run them without having a swarm under my awning within seconds. If you camp where there's bugs, you'll want to take that into consideration for your light choice.

Those strips under the awning shouldn't be doing too much flexing, unless I'm missing something? And yeah, when hooking up your solder point, you def. need to be careful because it's just a little chunk of metal you are connecting to... but they make plastic adapters that work really well. When I did my kitchen I attached the adapter to the strip, then soldered to the adapter.. that way the strip side is crimped down and locked and won't get tore off. I also wired a set into my last TT above the main slide, did the same thing, no issues. And before I bought LEDs I checked out a local Jayco dealer and some of the strips on the front of forest river TT's... same markings, color, etc.. everything as what I got from Ebay. I understand Ebay can sell junk, but a 20.00 strip of LEDs is pretty standard anymore.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0useforaname View Post
Well, those color/white strips do both.. they do soft white, but they also do bright white. It's hard to explain, but they use the color LEDs to accomplish that white/blueish color. So you would get soft white, white, and any color you want. They are also dimmable on any setting.. and you could make them redish, orange, etc.. by having the soft white and color on at the same time.

Those strips under the awning shouldn't be doing too much flexing, unless I'm missing something? And yeah, when hooking up your solder point, you def. need to be careful because it's just a little chunk of metal you are connecting to... but they make plastic adapters that work really well. When I did my kitchen I attached the adapter to the strip, then soldered to the adapter.. that way the strip side is crimped down and locked and won't get tore off. I also wired a set into my last TT above the main slide, did the same thing, no issues. And before I bought LEDs I checked out a local Jayco dealer and some of the strips on the front of forest river TT's... same markings, color, etc.. everything as what I got from Ebay. I understand Ebay can sell junk, but a 20.00 strip of LEDs is pretty standard anymore.
The ones I got were like $5-6 for a roll. Yeah, a $20.00 roll would probably be more durable. What I meant by flexing is that I had installed the roll under the rain gutter of my awning, where it attaches to the trailer. As I'd drive down the road, that gutter I guess was bending just enough to keep breaking at one of the 'cut points' in the strip that are ever couple of feet. Most of the breaks occurred near the door to the TT.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
The ones I got were like $5-6 for a roll. Yeah, a $20.00 roll would probably be more durable. What I meant by flexing is that I had installed the roll under the rain gutter of my awning, where it attaches to the trailer. As I'd drive down the road, that gutter I guess was bending just enough to keep breaking at one of the 'cut points' in the strip that are ever couple of feet. Most of the breaks occurred near the door to the TT.

Oh wow, that's really weird. The rolls I got were pretty stout. The cut strip areas on mine weren't pre-cut or anything, they were just straight through chunks of metal that you had to cut in the middle. I should also mention that on mine, the factory ends were pre-soldered and had wires coming out that were crimped and weatherproofed.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

I should mention that I have a black plastic channel already up under the awning roll. So I would just Slide out the original ones and slide in the new ones. I would assume I need to take off the backing in adhere it into the channel?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #10

I would assume that strip is made to just slide in/out. My guess would be not to use the sticky backing
n0useforaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #11

Ok....Wasn’t sure because there is no plastic covering over the channel but I assume if the strip is water proof It shouldn’t matter?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #12

yeah, the strips that I have purchased have a really thick rubber layer that covers the entire led strip. And the channel it sits in should keep water out, aside from maybe a tiny bit of moisture.

Tags
led