Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Replacing my Castle Rock Tires....

Looking at replacing my Castle Rock tires. Was told that the Trailer King II, ST 10 ply is a good tire. Also the Carlisle Radial Trail HD 10 ply ST was another good choice. Also , will 10 ply tires work with my rims that had 8 ply as long as I replace with same size.I would replace rubber valve stems with metal stems. Any info on your experience with either of these tires would be appreciated.
2015 F150 , 5.0 , 3:55 axle
mikdor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

I have switched to carlisle ( different size) and have not had a single problem.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #3

Replaced the Castle Rocks on our 5th wheel with the Trailer King 10 ply following a blowout on a trip earlier this year. The Castle Rocks had less than 500 miles on them. No issue with the 80 psi on factory rims and have about 2000 miles on the Trailer Kings so far with no problems.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

Hi Creedster, Just wondering if you used steel valve stems and what size you used. Thx for the info.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #5

Still running the rubber valve stems but will probably swap them out for metal soon. Tire size is 225/75/15.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedster View Post
Still running the rubber valve stems but will probably swap them out for metal soon. Tire size is 225/75/15.
If you are running those 10-plys at maximum inflation pressure of 80psi, you are "pushing it".

Remember, as the tires heat up, the air inside them expands and the PSI goes up even further.

Steel stems, pronto, at least HP stems if not all-metal. It's for everybody's safety, because if a stem lets loose, you'll have a rapid deflation. That could affect directional stability.

{/soapbox}

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
If you are running those 10-plys at maximum inflation pressure of 80psi, you are "pushing it".

Remember, as the tires heat up, the air inside them expands and the PSI goes up even further.

Steel stems, pronto, at least HP stems if not all-metal. It's for everybody's safety, because if a stem lets loose, you'll have a rapid deflation. That could affect directional stability.

{/soapbox}

Pop
My 5er came with Trailer King tires. I quickly ordered Carlisle tires -- breath easier now. Replaced all 5 before 1 or more TKs blew!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #8

Castle Rocks Replaced - N0 more ST's

I will be replacing my Castle Rock ST Tires along with our friends who have them too. Returning on our last trip together they had a blowout. Tires were 2.5 years old, we have a different style camper, but the same exact tires, only a few months newer! Searched for weeks for a Light Truck tire replacement that would have the 113 load rating of the Castle Rocks. Finally found the perfect replacement tire for anyone who has 15" rims. A Finland company, Nokian (branch of Nokia phones) tyres (Euro Spelling), makes heavy duty tires for all types of applications which include now Light Truck tires, Rotiiva AT's. These have a 116 (Load Range E) rating which cannot be found (in my research) with any other tire manufacturer, in a 15" rim. We will have to go up one size to a LT235/75R15. Also, no restrictions to 65 MPH speed, not that I will travel more than 70 going downhill. Found these in about the 20th page of the online tires at Wal-Mart! When I went to WM to order the tires they asked what they were going on, & I said an RV, they refused to sell them to me. Company policy, long story! However, Discount Tire also sells them. They, DT, had never seen them, but could get them & would install them. Replacing ST tires with ST tires is not an improvement in my time with RV's. I have had 4 blowouts with 3 different RV's and I know how to take care of tires and will never again listen to a tire dealer tell me it was my fault, it is a money making racket. No LT or P rated tire will ever have the many issues that ST tires have because of the way they are made. Don't fall for the lines of hype about staying with ST tires. You will never have good service from them past 4-5 years, because they want you coming back & back buying more! These Nokian tires will never have to be replaced unless they are hurt from some unusual circumstance. Paid about what I would have to pay for the ST tires. In my mind I will never be worrying about blowouts and changing along the interstate while trucks sway your rig during the tire change over. Don't have any knowledge about the new Goodyear Endurance, but it is still an ST tire, why move laterally when you can move up now to durability, peace of mind and no unexpected RV damage caused by cheap imitations of real tires. I am trying to get the word out about this option, some will disagree, but if you do the research, & know what you are talking about, you have no reason not to change. A reliable & safe alternative can be found now for 15" ST tires.

cseeger22
cseeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

Sweet......Been looking for LT tires...
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

{/soapbox}

Pop
Thanks and point well taken. I did inquire and the tire shop assured me the stems they installed were good for the 80 psi/load range E. Guess a "sooner" rather than "later" swap may be in order.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseeger22 View Post
I will be replacing my Castle Rock ST Tires along with our friends who have them too. Returning on our last trip together they had a blowout. Tires were 2.5 years old, we have a different style camper, but the same exact tires, only a few months newer! Searched for weeks for a Light Truck tire replacement that would have the 113 load rating of the Castle Rocks. Finally found the perfect replacement tire for anyone who has 15" rims. A Finland company, Nokian (branch of Nokia phones) tyres (Euro Spelling), makes heavy duty tires for all types of applications which include now Light Truck tires, Rotiiva AT's. These have a 116 (Load Range E) rating which cannot be found (in my research) with any other tire manufacturer, in a 15" rim. We will have to go up one size to a LT235/75R15. Also, no restrictions to 65 MPH speed, not that I will travel more than 70 going downhill. Found these in about the 20th page of the online tires at Wal-Mart! When I went to WM to order the tires they asked what they were going on, & I said an RV, they refused to sell them to me. Company policy, long story! However, Discount Tire also sells them. They, DT, had never seen them, but could get them & would install them. Replacing ST tires with ST tires is not an improvement in my time with RV's. I have had 4 blowouts with 3 different RV's and I know how to take care of tires and will never again listen to a tire dealer tell me it was my fault, it is a money making racket. No LT or P rated tire will ever have the many issues that ST tires have because of the way they are made. Don't fall for the lines of hype about staying with ST tires. You will never have good service from them past 4-5 years, because they want you coming back & back buying more! These Nokian tires will never have to be replaced unless they are hurt from some unusual circumstance. Paid about what I would have to pay for the ST tires. In my mind I will never be worrying about blowouts and changing along the interstate while trucks sway your rig during the tire change over. Don't have any knowledge about the new Goodyear Endurance, but it is still an ST tire, why move laterally when you can move up now to durability, peace of mind and no unexpected RV damage caused by cheap imitations of real tires. I am trying to get the word out about this option, some will disagree, but if you do the research, & know what you are talking about, you have no reason not to change. A reliable & safe alternative can be found now for 15" ST tires.

cseeger22
Pretty sure Maxxis makes a LR E (10 ply) tire in the 15" size that came on your trailer. They are ST tires so maybe you were speaking of tires other than, when you made that statement since you went on to talk about ST tire hype?

Maxxis 225/75R15

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #12

On Friday I had a set of GY Marathons mounted and balanced. I know these might not be super popular for everyone but for me the reviews, price and specs worked. Load range E, speed rating R. Only have a few miles on them home but could tell they rode much stiffer than the TowMax. Couldn't seem to find the Carlisle tires around me.

I was on borrowed time with 10k on the towmax...either way I think we all feel a peace of mind swapping the factories out...

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikdor1 View Post
Looking at replacing my Castle Rock tires. Was told that the Trailer King II, ST 10 ply is a good tire. Also the Carlisle Radial Trail HD 10 ply ST was another good choice. Also , will 10 ply tires work with my rims that had 8 ply as long as I replace with same size.I would replace rubber valve stems with metal stems. Any info on your experience with either of these tires would be appreciated.
I'd replace with Carlisle. Couple reasons. One they are domestic made and Two, U-Haul uses them exclusively on their rental trailers. My opinion is, U-Haul know better than an individual does about tire quality and longevity as it pertains to tire failure. A tire failure on a U-Haul trailer negates any profit. They are in business to make money, not replace sub standard tires.

The screw down (bolt on stems) are also a good investment that you'll only make one time. I trust import (and most rubber stems are imported) about as much as I trust imported tires which is little to none.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
On Friday I had a set of GY Marathons mounted and balanced. I know these might not be super popular for everyone but for me the reviews, price and specs worked. Load range E, speed rating R. Only have a few miles on them home but could tell they rode much stiffer than the TowMax. Couldn't seem to find the Carlisle tires around me.

I was on borrowed time with 10k on the towmax...either way I think we all feel a peace of mind swapping the factories out...
Walmart carries Carlisle, so does Discount tire and Tire buyer.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Walmart carries Carlisle, so does Discount tire and Tire buyer.
Didn't see them in my walmart and discount tire does not show them for 235/80-16. Besides they wanted $128 plus to ship the tires. I spent a lot of time looking...and thought it would be easier than it was to find the tires mentioned in all these tire posts...

What's done is done...

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post

Had a set of Marathons installed on our previous 5th wheel and put close to 8k miles on them before we traded it off. Same size as yours. They wore great and had quite a bit of tread left. Never had a problem with them. Fwiw.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Pretty sure Maxxis makes a LR E (10 ply) tire in the 15" size that came on your trailer. They are ST tires so maybe you were speaking of tires other than, when you made that statement since you went on to talk about ST tire hype?

Maxxis 225/75R15
I liked where it was stated "never have to be replaced" unless a road hazard......
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #18
Hoss3

Send a message via AIM to chuckhossler
Just replaced all five tires on the rolling bedroom with Carlisle. From the opinions in this room, it sounds like I may have made the right decision.
chuckhossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #19

I bought the Carlisle tires and noticed they are also made in China! Sounds like members are happy with them, I'll find out!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikdor1 View Post
I bought the Carlisle tires and noticed they are also made in China! Sounds like members are happy with them, I'll find out!
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312514/st-tires-all-steel-radial-construction-is-meeting-the-demand-for-more-carrying-capacity

The new HD tires are even better....

Tags
tire, tires