Old 02-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

Revolution pin box

Probably an old subject but I couldn't find anything on it here. Going back to a fifth wheel (Flagstaff Classic) after owning a pusher for awhile (loved the pusher except the cost of owning and maintaining it).

Pulled my former fivers with a non sliding hitch in long box trucks. Current garage will not swallow a long box truck so now have a short box with the drop in hitch feature. Ordered a Curt non-slide hitch to go with the Revolution pin box.

So now to my question to the folks that have real world experience with said pin box.......what's it like? Drive different/ back up different/ etc.?

dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

I have one. My issues have been squeaking, and keeping the lock plate from moving, and still being able to seat the pin in the hitch.

spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

I have a '16 Ram 2500 w/ 6.5ft bed and I do not have the revolution engaged. If you have a 6.5ft bed you will not need to need it as well, as there is plenty of clearance.

And if you search the FR forums you will find alot of people do not engage it as well.
Nights Camped 2019 = 40
Nights Camped 2018 = 28
Nights Camped 2017 = 27
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #4

I have the sidewinder which is the same principle as the revolution. Have had one on the last two fivers. Love it! No problems. It is slightly different for backing/pulling, as the trailer follows the truck track a little more closely, but that is a good thing. Don't have to swing as wide on corners. Also never have to worry about hitting corners of cap when backing sharply. Much better solution than a slider.

Ensure you have the correct locking key for hitch you have (contact Reese if you aren't sure), properly maintain it, and you will love it also! I take mine apart and grease it about once a year.

So many folks seem to either be afraid of them, or can't understand how they actually work, so I see derogatory remarks frequently. I can only believe they have never used them, or don't have theirs set up correctly.

If you have any specific questions, ask someone who actually uses theirs
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #5

Scott (NMWildcat), I'm looking forward to trying the Revolution box. The thing I have never cared for is how 'lazy' fifth wheel/goosenecks are back there. While that's nice when just going down the road, it's a bit of a pain when maneuvering. At times it seems as though you are 'sawing' the steering wheel off. The Revolution pin box should make the trailer more responsive, though I do wonder about cross winds, and being amongst semi's.

I ordered the 'wedge' made by/for the Curt hitch, thinking it might fit a bit better than the universal one that comes with the trailer. Once it (wedge) is set, it should just be make sure it doesn't loosen and keep things lubed....yes?
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

Fantastic. You are already three steps ahead of most!i To set my wedge I bolt into place a bit further back than it will need. Then I hitch it up, loosen the bolts and slide it as far forward toward the kingpin as possible. Then back it off about a 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. You want it close to the kingpin, but not touching it.

I do lightly oil the sides of the wedge before hitching. I grease the turret about once a year with Lucas Red-n-Tacky. I do check torque on all bolts before every major trip.

You will not notice any difference in sway in crosswinds/semis from a standard fifth wheel.

You will enjoy never having to watch the front cap when backing. You will enjoy being able to hitch from any angle to the RV. I have yanked mine out at 90įfrom a nose to tail line when I had to leave early. All bystanders were telling me it wouldn't work. You will also enjoy all the conversations you will have from folks wanting to know how it works. You will enjoy being able to swing the kingpin arm under the trailer and out of the way.

The only advice for easy hitching is align the truck with the wedge sides (no matter the truck/RV angle) and have the kingpin plate about half inch below the truck plate so it slides up and into the receiver.

Enjoy your Revolution, it truly is a wonderful upgrade!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have one on my 8529IKBS that I had unlocked when we first got the 5th wheel because I wanted to try it. I quickly ordered the companion wedge from Reese as I soon found out the 'universal' was problematic hitching. Unfortunately even the suggested Reese wedge gave me enough grief hitching that I pinned the box back up and am using it as a regular pin box.

As Scott mentioned, he's had great luck with his and I've read his accounts in the past but my experience was different.
Maybe my Reese hitch is different enough to cause problems although you'd think a Reese Revolution would work well with a Reese Hitch. It is about 20 years old. Maybe the newer ones are better?

Mine is a slider hitch that I've had in 4 different short bed (6.5/6.75) trucks and have never had to slide it, so going back to the locked pin box simply made sense for me. I've just never got in a situation in all these years where I've had to turn 90ļ. I could if necessary with it being a slider but just never had to.

As for the tracking, I think the Revolution unpinned, tracked about the same as pinned and I don't really notice much difference than with any other 5th wheel I've had in the past (first one was in 1985) but to that defense, I really didn't leave mine unpinned all that long before I went back to pinned.

As you mentioned, 5th wheels/goosenecks do take just a bit more input to get them started turning but it's all part of the curve of these types of trailers. Never been much of a stumbling block.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #8

The only issue I have had with mine was a lot of squeaky noise coming from it, it was a little embarrassing driving through a campground. That was my first year with the revolution, once I greased it the noise was gone. I now grease it in the spring and it is good for the season.

I have a B&W 16K hitch and got the appropriate wedge for it before I took possession of the trailer, no problems connecting/disconnecting at all. I have a 6.75' truck box and I can go 90 degree's without any worries at all. I have only used it the unlocked position so I can't say if it handles any differently than bolted.
Ramrod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #9

We have one and like it a lot. It really does the job when trying to get our rig into some pretty tight campsites. We use USFS campgrounds often. The one thing I am not pleased with is that it is difficult to hitch up. I find that my 5th wheel has to be very close to 46 7/8 inches from ground to king pin and I have to align my truck close to perfect for it to latch. Reading through this thread though I see that my dealer may have sold me a universal wedge, maybe that's my problem. We also had the squeak issue but with a little lube it was no worries. Good points by everyone, thanks.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:16 AM   #10

How do you grease that pivot point on the hitch. I thought there was a poly spacer in there, and didnít need greasing.
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydunks View Post
How do you grease that pivot point on the hitch. I thought there was a poly spacer in there, and didnít need greasing.
Yep, requires lubrication. If you are unsure, call Reese. I lube mine once a year. I back my tailgate under the hitch and snug a floor jack under it. Remove the retaining bolts or nut, and lower the jack to where I can get to most of the turret bearing w/o removing it entirely. Usually have to wiggle the turret a little. Grease and then jack the turret back into place. Takes about 20 minutes.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-217054.html
Old 03-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #12

To grease mine I loosen the retaining nut so it is on just a couple of threads, then turn the hitch back and forth until it is resting on the nut. There will be enough space to clean out the old grease with a small scrapper, then I apply new grease. You can use the nut to lift the the turret back up , it will move easy with the new grease. Try and find some new cotter pins before you start so you have a new one to go back in. I always have a extra cotter pin in my truck, just in case the old one breaks.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #13

NMWildcat or Ramrod79 do you know the torque specs on the swing arm for the revolution hitch?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #14

80ft/lbs for the pin box nut and 150ft/lbs for the wedge bolts.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #15

Thanks Ramrod