Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

Road Damage - ML23FB

We have been having a blast with our little ML23FB.
Never thought I would ever enjoy camping, never even went until we purchased our trailer in March 2016.
Wife and I have been out just about every weekend again this camping season.
We were also fortunate enough to be able to actually pay off our home away from home this past May.
No issues at all with this little gem however as my luck would have it... as soon as I paid off the trailer, we were traveling back to RI from a campground in NY.
Right around Mystic CT we hear (and feel) a loud BANG...
Scared the you know what out of us.
Luckily we were approaching an exit off RT95N so we quickly exited and pulled into a hotel parking lot that was right at the end of the off ramp.
We both quickly exited the truck to go see if we could find what happened.
Didn't take long for my princess to find that something made a nice hole right through the tin plate located at the front base of the trailer (area behind the propane tanks)
Here is what we found:

Nothing we could do about it where we were, and we just happen to be traveling home to check on our cats before we headed out to Vermont on the second half of our 4th of july vacation week.

On the way home I was coming up with ideas how to fix it so it would not ruin the rest of our vacation, but also make it waterproof.

Once we got home we headed to Lowes, bought a small 6" x 12" long piece of flat steel stock from the hardware section.
Cut it up to a 6" square plate.
Primed, painted, and added our logo for our garden railway (see link in signature)

Used some stainless steel screws and lots of weatherproof sealant in and around the existing hole. All around the edges and backing of the plate, along with all the screw holes I drilled into the camper.

Finished product came out okay considering it took me a total of 3-hours start to finish.

Can't believe nothing else was damaged, never found out what actually hit the trailer. Just lucky that it missed the propane tanks!!

We washed our clothes, re-loaded the trailer and headed out to finish our trip!
Stayed at a nice campground up in Stowe Vermont!

So far the repair has held up great, no signs of any water leaking into the trailer and it makes a good conversation piece when people ask why I screwed a plate onto the front of our trailer!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Kasual Kamper

Wow! They sure are making those rock guards flimsy nowadays. The rock guard on my former Fleetwood trailer was an eighth of an inch steel plate. Your repair looks very nice though. I'll bet it'll be a conversation piece, lol!
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23fb