Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
Incanis Confiderus

Send a message via Yahoo to dogman
Rockwood vs. Flagstaff

Im back and wanting all of your opponions. I am not a picky person, I just want a good product. It will be just be me living in it. I guess I could be called a 3/4 timer as I dont think I will last the entire winter in it in Mass. but I will also be going to some Nascar races throughout the summer with some friends. So, can I get your pros and cons with the Rockwood Signature Series vs. Flagstaff??? I look forward to reading what ya'll have to say.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #2

They are twins and produced on the same production line. The only differences are cosmetic. This is a common practice among RV manufacturers to give a dealer "exclusive" rights to a brand, so they have two or more nearly identical models with different names. If you are lucky enough to have dealers close enough carrying both you can do some more dealing and get the best deal between the two. It will be helpful if, once you decide on floorplans, to be sure you know each brand's model number. For instance, we are looking at the Flagstaff 831RLSS which is the Rockwood 8314. You can find that info on the FR website.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Yeah, what he said. And if your luck runs as mine has, you won't have a lot of quality issues. They are both well made.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Incanis Confiderus

Send a message via Yahoo to dogman
And this is why I love posting on this site. Within 45 minutes of posting I already have answers and suggestions. Thank you so much guys. It is really appreciated.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #5

we have had no real problems with ours we have had it for 2 season and just love camping in it we have an rockwood 8296SS
Old 11-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
They are twins and produced on the same production line. The only differences are cosmetic.
Pretty much...the colors of upholstery and trim are different, as are the decals on the outside. The selection will change at different points in the year for no apparent reason. About two weeks after mine rolled off the line Rockwood went from 2 schemes I thought were OK and 1 that I liked to 3 schemes I thought were downright ugly! At the time I thought Flagstaff had better colors.

Suggest if you're taking the gang to NASCAR events then order your trailer with the "minimal carpet" option, where only the slide area and bedroom are carpeted. The vinyl flooring is better quality than the carpet, by far, and will hold up better to abuse. Plus if you get after it with a broom and a soapy towel you can have it looking new in 5 minutes. We ordered ours this way because Sweet Wife likes to go to the beach and was worried about tracking in sand.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #7

Talking Carpet

I Have the 5828 CKSS and the two slides with the barrel chairs that must be
placed in the center of the trailer to close. The carpet slides better than the
vinyl.
wpr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr2002 View Post
The carpet slides better than the vinyl.
I have the Rockwood 8280SS, rear kitchen, one big slide and barrel chairs. (don't know why we still call them that...) anyway, the slide area is carpeted along with a strip of carpet in front of the slide on the main floor. I have never seen a floor level slide room that wasn't carpeted. I suspect your are right, carpet is a much better material for slides than vinyl. If vinyl got caught on something it would ruin it, where carpet would just fold up. Even if carpet were pulled loose, your average handyman could tack it back.

The minimal carpet option removes carpet only from the high traffic areas that look so bad in used trailers. And with our camping vs housekeeping habits, it works for us!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #9

I guess we are off topic but, I place one chair against the coach and it slides on the carpet as I move in the slide. If I don't the carpet of the slide gathers up at the base of the chair. I place one chair next to the sink and lift it up a little at a time because I'm afraid the chair will snag the vinyl as it slides. There is just enough room for the chairs with both slides in.
wpr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Just as Kim said.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #11

Question Kinda along the same lines

I am looking at purchasing my first camper and boy there is no shortage of advice on this subject is there. However, much like Dogman, I figure the best way to get the real story is to go the the people that have to live with the product. I am looking at purchasing a Forest River Flagstaff product in Lynchburg, VA. but it almost seems like the Rockwood is the better selling product. Is this because it's made better or because the name sounds more manly "ROCKWOOD"
Secondly, I have found another camper that has the underbelly covering thingy, does this really matter and does it make a difference?
Thanks,
Rob
robgarbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarbee View Post
it almost seems like the Rockwood is the better selling product. Is this because it's made better or because the name sounds more manly "ROCKWOOD"
I think for the money I paid, and for the weight, the Rockwood is the best deal I personnaly will vouch for. Of course Flagstaff is the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarbee View Post
Secondly, I have found another camper that has the underbelly covering thingy, does this really matter and does it make a difference?
It does three thing for you:

1. Extends your camping season by making the trailer more resistant to cold weather.
2. In theory at least, makes the underside of the trailer more streamlined and thus easier and cheaper to tow.
3. Makes working on just about anything under the trailer a real pain as the underbelly must be removed but protects your tanks and such from rocks and debris while towing.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #13

Wink same trailer

I found that these 2 trailers are basically the same. I just bought a rockwood 1809s with pull out and I cannot wait to get it next week. I did not know which one to get but I went by the best dealer in our city. These trailers are realy well made and super well equiped compared to other brand specially the bed mattress and dinettes on which you cannot compare the quality. I have seen trailers with mattress so cheap that you cannot even use because they are so soft and pure junk. How many trailers in this size that uses a furnace with ducts. Hardly any at all except forest rivers products
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
Infractee

Is this because it's made better or because the name sounds more manly "ROCKWOOD"

I am thinking " RockWood" and " FlagStaff" both pretty much have the same meaning.... You may even have to include WildWood in the mix as a similar...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra.
Same truck; same options; same exact prices.

Ditto Flagstaff/Rockwood
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Is this because it's made better or because the name sounds more manly "ROCKWOOD"

I am thinking " RockWood" and " FlagStaff" both pretty much have the same meaning.... You may even have to include WildWood in the mix as a similar...
Good one.
I don't think Lou(herk7769) got what you were saying.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

I have a cold and am on meds.
You could hit me with a sandbag; and I would not get it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #18

I believe RhoZeta has his/her mind in the gutter.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #19
Infractee

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
I believe RhoZeta has his/her mind in the gutter.
WHAT?!?! Sir, I am insulted!

My mind is not in the gutter! My mind IS the gutter! hehe

Sorry, my inner 13 year old occasionally gets a giggle when I hear wood and staff...

(I am a he)
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #20

I ordered a Rockwood 2702SS but was looking a Flagstaff 27BESS. It has been said again and again. These are both the same trailer just different graphics and name both Forest River. We went with the Rockwood becasue of the price we got and of coarse the interior colors were more to our liking. I was told by my sales person...." if you were at the factory and the two trailers were sitting side by side with no graphics you would not be able to tell which is which.

The waiting game begins.... Ordered Sept 21 2010
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff