Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #1

Roof membrane = no Destin trip

Scheduled a trip to Topsail in Destin, leaving this weekend. I dropped my Flagstaff 8528RKWS off 2 weeks ago to have the roof looked at, and now I'm finding out that the entire membrane has to be replaced. Tech says they fill find out tomorrow when it will be received.

Really was looking forward to some warm weather, and not losing 2 nights deposit. Oh well, maybe it will work out.
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTnTN View Post
Scheduled a trip to Topsail in Destin, leaving this weekend. I dropped my Flagstaff 8528RKWS off 2 weeks ago to have the roof looked at, and now I'm finding out that the entire membrane has to be replaced. Tech says they fill find out tomorrow when it will be received.

Really was looking forward to some warm weather, and not losing 2 nights deposit. Oh well, maybe it will work out.
What happened to your roof?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is this under warranty?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #4

I am also curious what happened to your roof. Do you have pics?
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Roof membrane = no Destin trip

Not sure if this is possible but can you sell your spot to someone else? I would buy it from you if I would be able to camp this week.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

Yes, it's under warranty. Along the front end at the trim piece, the membrane pulled back and bubbled. The caulk line also pulled back, which is what made very noticeable.

I didn't take pics, but they did at the dealer and submitted them. The dealer didn't assess the repairs until after the unit had been there for over a week, so that's why we're so pushed for time now.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #7

They say 2 days to repair once the parts are received.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #8

They are also replacing the rear stabilizer switch, repairing the shower door, replacing a piece of interior trim, and trying to stop the freezer from frosting right at the door seal.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:

In your later Post you said they could replace the entire Roof in (2)days,after they receive the parts! That part about (PARTS) is their (Loop Hole)! Don't (Hold your Breath) that the Entire Roof will be replaced by (This Weekend)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
In your later Post you said they could replace the entire Roof in (2)days,after they receive the parts! That part about (PARTS) is their (Loop Hole)! Don't (Hold your Breath) that the Entire Roof will be replaced by (This Weekend)? Youroo!!
I'm not. I'll try to sweet talk them into a later date, but with spring break coming up, it will be hard to get a new reservation for a full week.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #11

Re. rear stabilizer switch. Mine was stopping - wait a while - and would go again. It wasn't the switch. I lubricated the entire length of the screw mechanism with lithium grease - fixed the problem. Just lubricate every nom and then. K
Ken Halloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #12

Just left Topsail - enjoyed it a lot, but was too cold to do much. Better off waiting until repairs are made and this cold snap passes. Also camped at St. George. Very nice area.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm not. I'll try to sweet talk them into a later date, but with spring break coming up, it will be hard to get a new reservation for a full week.
IF FR authorizes your dealer to get the roof materials from aftermarket, that'll cut the time down to probably two weeks. If they must order through FR parts, hold tight as it will probably be a month or better before materials arrive...
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
IF FR authorizes your dealer to get the roof materials from aftermarket, that'll cut the time down to probably two weeks. If they must order through FR parts, hold tight as it will probably be a month or better before materials arrive...
I sure hope not. We're needing some camper time bad! Are the membranes not a normal stock item?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #15

Hey LTnTN, what bummer. We were at topsail last year in April. really beautiful campground.rather than staying home, can you rent a Rv? My dw & I are camping at Ft clinch. On the Atlantic Ocean. Will be there for a week.
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #16

Quote:
I sure hope not. We're needing some camper time bad! Are the membranes not a normal stock item?
Sure are,the F/R factory has (500' Rolls) in stock! The trick is shipping to Tenn.then rolling it out to (Warm Up) to get the (Folds/Wrinkles/Bubbles) out of it for Proper Install! Going to be hard to do with the Temps we are having now! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #17
Happy Keystone Owner

Another week of leaks wouldn't stop me. Probably would be dry weather anyway but I'd have a tarp handy

Sent from space

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #18

Not sure how big a deal it is but I read where they could replace a section of the roof the entire width of the RV and how ever long it needed to be joining the two with what they called a three inch lap joint. There must be a special way to bond the old with the new.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
Another week of leaks wouldn't stop me. Probably would be dry weather anyway but I'd have a tarp handy

Sent from space
We have not been able to find any leaks from this. Strange. Only thing I can figure is that the membrane wraps around and down a little ways in the front. We just noticed the caulk pulling back and the bubbles.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rv View Post
Hey LTnTN, what bummer. We were at topsail last year in April. really beautiful campground.rather than staying home, can you rent a Rv? My dw & I are camping at Ft clinch. On the Atlantic Ocean. Will be there for a week.
I plan to call them in the morning to see if they've gone beyond the point of us getting it back for a week. Would have called today, but was very busy all day.

We like Ft Clinch, Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach ... all that area too.

Tags
roo, roof