Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #11

I use the Calgon all the time works well I put it in when the season starts and when I leave the campground with a couple gallons of water so it coats the whole tank and make draining easier and nothing sticks also put the desolving packets in for a fresher smelling tank.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma659 View Post
I use the Calgon all the time works well I put it in when the season starts and when I leave the campground with a couple gallons of water so it coats the whole tank and make draining easier and nothing sticks also put the desolving packets in for a fresher smelling tank.
The water softener addition is part of the "Geo Method" of black water tank maintenance....see: http://cbruni.googlepages.com/

I have read several places where the addition of bleach (as suggested by the Geo Method) is probably not a good idea, as it kills the "good" bacteria in the black water tank. Even though the black water tank is basically a "chamber pot" instead of a septic tank where the bateria break down the solids, I would think that some bateria in the RV tank to start the process is probably not a bad think. But the bacteria reaction cause some of the smell also, so what is a fellow to do??

I had good results with adding an enzyme to the Thetford recirculating toilet in my Trailmanor, and I think I am going to continue that with my Surveyor black tank, as well as a non-formaldehyde deodorizer. Plus, I am going to add some water softener to keep the sides of the tank and the probe slick as suggested by the Geo Method.

I used RV TP in my Trailmanor, but after reading this thread I think I am going to switch to the cheap single-ply TP and see how it goes. Even though our Trailmanor had a recirculating toilet, we had very little smell, and hope that our experience with a black water tank will be even more odor free.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #13

We use Scott brand at home and on the go... I mean in the TT. Never had a problem.

Mike and Donna
South Central Pennsylvania

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (gas)
2009 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
(Since June 3,
2008)
Mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Radio, we're all talking about REGULAR off the "normal" household goods area toilet paper- you know the stuff next to the paper towels and napkins aisle. It works in the RV tanks just as well. I use 2 ply (more "finger safe")paper- called Angel Soft that I get at Wal Mart for around 5.00 for 24 rolls, and it states SEPTIC SAFE on the front. No need for any RV related paper! GOOD LUCK, Randy
Ummm, yeah, I know that...but this is priced about the same regular Scotts TP...and I was buying tank treatment, so I got me some. And we are actually talking about economy...not just TP.

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff