Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

RV toilet paper

Does anyone else know about this? I was looking at an RV book, and they made me aware of the GREAT TOILET PAPER RIP - OFF that most people are not aware of. The article took 2 clear glass jars or glasses, then put the RV paper with some water (3 or 4 sheets) in the first glass, then do the same with the other with many store brand household toilet paper brands. (I used Wal Mart Angel Soft 2 ply) Then stir them around in the water with a spoon. Most will dissolve JUST AS WELL as that over priced RV paper! If your favorite household brand doesn't, then try a different brand. No more RV paper for me!!! Randy[/I]

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #2

been rving since 1996
never ever have used "RV" toilet paper. its a scam to liberate you from your money

if the paper you use know is safe for septics its ok for an rv holding tank.

the jar shake test is a good tried and true method

Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #3

All I had to do was look at the price of it to know it's a ripoff. We have always just used our "house brand" as we are on a septic system at home anyway. Usually get it at Cosco by the case. Much cheaper there.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Save your money. Just use a decent quality single-ply paper. Savy campers have been doing this just about forever.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Scott brand had a display at the Hershey Show one year and were giving away rolls of their toilet paper that was single ply and for use in RVs and Homes with Septic Systems. It's way cheaper than the OFFICIAL RV TOILET PAPER and they have coupons on line all the time. It's also very soft for single ply paper.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Scott brand had a display at the Hershey Show one year and were giving away rolls of their toilet paper that was single ply and for use in RVs and Homes with Septic Systems. It's way cheaper than the OFFICIAL RV TOILET PAPER and they have coupons on line all the time. It's also very soft for single ply paper.
I finally located the "RV dept" in my local Super Walmart. And they carry the Scotts brand...it's cheaper and there's more on the rolls and therefore more in the package. I'll have to look for the on-line coupons.

Why the RV stuff is in automotive and not in with the other camping stuff is beyond me.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #7

Radio, we're all talking about REGULAR off the "normal" household goods area toilet paper- you know the stuff next to the paper towels and napkins aisle. It works in the RV tanks just as well. I use 2 ply (more "finger safe")paper- called Angel Soft that I get at Wal Mart for around 5.00 for 24 rolls, and it states SEPTIC SAFE on the front. No need for any RV related paper! GOOD LUCK, Randy
Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Radio, we're all talking about REGULAR off the "normal" household goods area toilet paper- you know the stuff next to the paper towels and napkins aisle. It works in the RV tanks just as well. I use 2 ply (more "finger safe")paper- called Angel Soft that I get at Wal Mart for around 5.00 for 24 rolls, and it states SEPTIC SAFE on the front. No need for any RV related paper! GOOD LUCK, Randy

"Finger Safe" That remines me of a joke, if you run out of toilet paper you can always use a dollar, but if you only have 3 Quarters, 2 Dimes and A Nickle you would be in bad shape!!

I have a septic system at my house and the stuff we use at home go"s camping with us. Used RV toilet paper one time because it was free from an RV show, I see no differance in the two other then the cost. The only thing with toilet paper in an RF, make sure you send plenty of water with it when you flush other wise it will stick to the dry part of the tank and on the tank sensor.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #9

A neat little trick that I learned on another web site is to use CALGON in the black water tank. This is a water softener that you put in your washing machine for soft brighter clothes. BUT it also makes a non-stick surface- makes the water "slick" just like a water softener would, except a little more concentrated...PERFECT for the black tank. I put in 1 capful each time I empty, and now I don't have that empty tank "aftersmell" anymore either, without adding anything, which tells me that it works. I still add the other stuff, too, for odor free "fill ups." Just thought I would pass this on!! Randy
Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

Nice Idea, I will have to try that, I wounder if Calgon will nuturalize the acid in the black tank.

Tags
flagstaff